Ord Mantell's ESB build

Thanks for the link to the previous post, I missed that. Wow. I love that you found new old stock of those chips!!

Since most chips from that era are still available as commodity generics, that's what I used to confirm the circuit wiring.
ie: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=50420

Since you know @Deancfh, you must already know this discovery is all from his work.

Ha, yes exactly. I scoured the old catalogs for Dean and have the same circuit on my bench.
I see you credited for for providing said catalog and confirmation. Thank you!! you're awesome. :D

Thanks for the link to the previous post, I missed that. Wow. I love that you found new old stock of those chips!!

Since most chips from that era are still available as commodity generics, that's what I used to confirm the circuit wiring.
ie: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=50420

Ha, yes exactly. I scoured the old catalogs for Dean and have the same circuit on my bench.
I see you credited for for providing said catalog and confirmation. Thank you!! you're awesome. :D

Ultimately, without Westaby, I would not have found the chips. Thankfully, Westaby had the knowledge regarding what could have worked and he found the 7490, 7442, and 7447. I found the 7400, capacitor values, and the sequence as for what is displayed and the pattern of the display. I just happened to have more time to wire it all up and bring it to life. Without Westaby, I would not have brought it out so quick, but instead did the modern program version and replicated the back visually.

I'm glad to get the record corrected. All three of you, Deancfh, thatdecade, @corvair_fett, have my gratitude for your outstanding work in uncovering this long standing mystery of the proper wiring and operation of the original chest lights. It's not a small contribution to our knowledge of the costume. It clearly took a lot of smarts and determination. I congratulate and thank all three of you and I hope you all get properly recognized by the community for your exceptional contribution.

Last edited:
I am truly humbled by your kind words and acknowledgement. This was a collaborative effort and I'm honored to have been part of this incredible journey.

The passion and enthusiasm of the community fueled our fire to find out the true nature of this circuit. Dean, your determination and diligence in bringing it to life, even with modern alternatives, has been nothing short of inspiring. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to contribute and help in identifying the correct vintage chips.

Ord Mantell, your support and appreciation mean a lot to me. It's exciting to see the community coming together and working towards uncovering the mysteries of the original costumes. This project wouldn't have been successful without the collective effort of everyone involved.

I'm thrilled to see makers using our research to create new display circuits, and it feels wonderful to have contributed to this corner of Star Wars history. This has been a unique and unforgettable experience.

This build has been in purgatory for months. Lots of hold-ups. Hopfully will pick up speed this fall and finally finish this soon.
  • My Helmet has been in England since January for paint. Hopefully will see it back here by Halloween.
  • Waiting on updated final parts for gauntlets so I can redo them with the new photogrammetry shells.
  • Will need to update the old jetpack with the new Denuo Novo jp with ESB conversion and metal parts upgrades when available.
  • Waiting on vintage chest lights build to install before painting the armor.
  • Potential project to make possible truly accurate girth belts for the first time.
  • 100% certainty newly ID'ed found part to show.
I'm more focused on PP2 while I wait on some of this. In the meantime, a fun video test with the unpainted costume:

I totally forgot I had the Glenross box with instruction pamphlet a dentist friend gave me. Below is the box with instructions and the model teeth that came with it. The expander is the MinuteFett replica standing in for the real thing. I think it does a rather amazing job of impersonating the real deal.

IMG_2098.jpg

On the back of the instructions is a life size illustration of both the large and small versions. The Fett version is the large.

IMG_2080.jpg

And look how well the MinuteFett version lines up with the teeth of the illustration.

IMG_2079.jpg

MinuteFett and FolkyPatrol hit this out of the park. I highly recommend these.

Last edited:
Behold, the closest reproduction of the original chest electronics yet made, utilizing mostly vintage parts....

IMG_2111.jpg

1692678647282.png

Deancfh did this super fast. Really thrilled about this. I can't thank him enough. Just incredible work and talent.

Untitled.jpg

Quick comparison of it in action with the original:

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 8.44.24 AM.png

I'm not going to do a vintage parts breakdown like I did for the helmet electronics, but if you want one of these, just reach out to Dean. He has two price options now. but if you want vintage parts like this, you'll have to hunt them down yourself.

Last edited:
time for an update on the initial chin straps research...

NEW FOUND PART DISCOVERY​

The Chin Straps Part 2 - New Evidence For the Definite Source of the Helmet Chin Straps​

You can finally forget all those helmets, because the real source of the straps has been found and it's not from a helmet.

@Jojofett95 took the prior Everoak research I did to the next level and brought us definitive proof the chin straps for all the Fett helmets were in fact made by Everoak, but not the source I previously identified. He rightly felt something was missing, especially in light of the funky procedure I came up with to attach the leather guards. He decided to dig deeper, and he finally got to the bottom of it. He interviewed Bill Vero, the grandson of the founder of Everoak, Everitt W Vero, which yielded the discovery of the actual source of the straps.

Jojo has done a superb write-up with all the details and the compelling evidence and he’ll be posting it at some point when he has time. For now he’s given me his blessing to post an update about the straps as a part of my build. This is 100% his discovery.

The Straps​

They’re still EVEROAK.

1693586193413.png

This is it. The Everoak “Fully Detachable Harness with Chin Cup.” For those of you tempted to immediately google that, forget it. The internet is completely devoid of any information on these harnesses. The top hit will be a link to this build thread. ChatGPT will tell you there is no info for it online. Jojo’s interview and the physical examples we’ve been able to acquire from tough hunting are the only sources of information right now.

In the box is a strap system compatible with any equestrian helmet of the time. It consists of just the straps and chin cup which you fit over the helmet. This was the earliest attempt to convert traditional riding caps into safety helmets.

This is what it looks like out of the box:
1693586249603.png

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 8.39.16 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 8.39.34 AM.png

These are essentially identical in design to the Everoak motorcycle helmet straps already identified in my previous research post in this thread, with one important exception: the correct leather guards are already attached and with the exact same hardware and stitch patterns seen in the archive pics.
1693586327766.png

Also, these always came with the correct chin cup, whereas we didn’t have evidence of that with the motorcycle helmets. Additionally, the unique stitching on the middle strap matches, where the motorcycle version does not.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 8.45.11 AM.png
It’s important to note that Everoak actually originated this particular chin cup, which has long been identified as the correct chin cup. And, as established in the previous research, Everoak is the only helmet maker which uses this double attachment method of snap on one side, and double D-rings on the other. But this product is the first to tick off all the boxes.

Jojo has a good number of excellent comparative shots for the PP3, ESB, and ROTJ helmets, so I won’t repeat it all here. This is just a taste of what I think is rather convincing evidence Jojo will post.

The only thing needed to make them the same as the screen-used is to snip the strap system in four places:
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 8.47.44 AM.png

Then add the grommets.

Variations​

These definitely varied over time, and because they were hand-made there are also minor individual differences between each one.

So far, with the additional help of intwenothor, we’ve recovered samples from three, maybe four distinct time periods showing shifts in materials and/or construction.

For example, this one below is probably a slightly older version than what we see in the ILM helmets. It has the cast D rings rather than the rolled rings, as well as other various differences.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.41.20 AM.png

And this next one below looks so different, for a long time I thought it was a look-alike brand. I eventually realized it was an Everoak — probably from the 80’s. The little shape in the stitching around the backside of the snap button, though it varies, seems unique to Everoak.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.41.33 AM.png

Crash course on variants:
1693586547313.png

A) 100% correct circa 1978
B) Cast D-rings, probably pre-1978
C) Slightly different webbing, updated cinch clasp in the back, probably post-1978
D) Wrong webbing, wrong leather, pattern is narrower with less material, cinch clasp is thinner, maybe circa 1980’s

Right now we only have one example of ‘A’. Hopefully more of these will be recovered now their significance is understood.

Look-alikes​

1693586581769.png

Everoak was the first helmet maker to produce this type of add-on harness, but I found some look-alikes out there. They’re easy to spot because most of them don’t come with the correct chin cup. None of their details match very well, either.

The two shots below are examples of the most ubiquitous brand I found, and seems to be the most like the Everoak. I was unable to identify a maker. They can be found on various different brand helmets. They’re frustrating because at first glance they make you think you found an Everoak. Such a tease. Hard to tell in these shots, but the D-rings on these are very unique.
Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.01.01 AM.png

Here are some more unidentified maker examples of lesser quality…

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.01.49 AM.png

The Christy Beaufort brand (below) is only good as a source of correct chin cups. The straps are wrong. (thanks to intwenethor for taking the hit on that one).
1693586658687.png

Since the Everoaks are tough to find, these knock-offs can serve as decent stand-ins. But also, it might be just as easy to build your own straps using similar materials which could end up looking more correct than these. Maybe this is an item a vendor could step in to make good replicas of someday.

Cutting and Installing​

So now the difficult part… cutting up a hard-to-find found part. Fingers crossed.

But it’s pretty easy. Just make a few snips and put in a couple grommets. Way simpler than the insanity of converting the Standard motorcycle helmet straps, which required ripping the straps out and cutting up the neck guard.

But if you want ESB or ROTJ, the cut is slightly more refined than the PP3.

PP3 has a straight cut at the end which creates a point. Both ESB and ROTJ had the point rounded off, at least for the D-ring side.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.05.58 AM.png

The snap side is much harder to tell what’s going on in the one singular photo we have of it for ESB because the angle is so extreme. The backside of the snap isn’t visible, although its certainly still there, it’s just obscured by the bottom of the strap.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.07.59 AM.png

It’s not very hard to demonstrate how the snap backside can be obscured by the leather when the angle is extreme enough like in the ESB helmet photo above.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 9.08.13 AM.png

It’s also clear, by the time that archive photo had been taken, years after the films, that particular strap had been pretty badly beaten up. I really doubt it was like that during filming.

Since my helmet is still in the UK, I’m going to wait until it arrives before I snip the straps and put the grommets in. Unless I finish everything else and there isn’t anything left to do.

Anyway, that’s it. Newly identified found part. All thanks to JojoFett! What an incredible job. Outstanding work. That’s one less mystery. How many mysteries left to go?

convenient having Alan Harris' helping hands hold the wookie scalps in place while I braid them...

View attachment 206831

View attachment 206832
I'm looking at doing my own braids and was hoping you'd have something. Which you did, but the bit I wanted to see, the middle of the blonde braid, is hidden. :) You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it...? Also, the brown end seems thinner? Does the brown just run on top of the black or are they braided together?

I'm looking at doing my own braids and was hoping you'd have something. Which you did, but the bit I wanted to see, the middle of the blonde braid, is hidden. :) You wouldn't happen to have a photo of it...? Also, the brown end seems thinner? Does the brown just run on top of the black or are they braided together?
Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I responded to this earlier but maybe that was just in my head. In short, I don't know how the blonde braids really should be. I made them separately, then attached them together so the wide one is on top of the thin one. I'd better dig up some photos.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back