*OFFICIAL INTEREST THREAD* for Spideyfett/Evan4218 Machined Metal Ears

Alex, would you be able to post a picture straight on of the helmet, i just want to see the helmet flair.

thx

How's that?...(y)...keep in mind lighting and camera angles can effect the over all look...:)

i19422_FPHPOSTb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Six -

Keep in mind that focal length of the camera plays a key factor in what you see as well. The real helmet actually has nearly no flair at all :lol: It's an optical illusion we've been focused on for years. Between the ears, and the camera tricks, we've seen the helmet look almost ridiculously wide, to pinheaded. So that's what we've come to expect to see :lol: The pic Alex just posted (although a cool pic) doesn't appear to be taken at the natural human eye / camera focal equivalent, which has been said to be 50 mm. Distance in relation to the focal length is a big factor too. In some of the exhibit photos we see, the guys that took the pics years ago could have been more than 6 ft away, and zooming ... we'll never know. But what is certain now, and I'm sure that Spidey, Evan4218 and Darthmiller will concur since they got to see it ridiculously close, is that what we've come to expect see in pictures, is not what it really looks like in person.

This will become much more clear when you see the FPH in person, and can sit back with it and reproduce all of the angles when you're looking at your computer screen digging around for all that paint detail reference ;) <clears throat> I do believe you're on the second half of the list ;)

FP

Six -

Keep in mind that focal length of the camera plays a key factor in what you see as well. The real helmet actually has nearly no flair at all :lol: It's an optical illusion we've been focused on for years. Between the ears, and the camera tricks, we've seen the helmet look almost ridiculously wide, to pinheaded. So that's what we've come to expect to see :lol: The pic Alex just posted (although a cool pic) doesn't appear to be taken at the natural human eye / camera focal equivalent, which has been said to be 50 mm. Distance in relation to the focal length is a big factor too. In some of the exhibit photos we see, the guys that took the pics years ago could have been more than 6 ft away, and zooming ... we'll never know. But what is certain now, and I'm sure that Spidey, Evan4218 and Darthmiller will concur since they got to see it ridiculously close, is that what we've come to expect see in pictures, is not what it really looks like in person.

This will become much more clear when you see the FPH in person, and can sit back with it and reproduce all of the angles when you're looking at your computer screen digging around for all that paint detail reference ;) <clears throat> I do believe you're on the second half of the list ;)

FP

sooo... you saying you don't like the way I take pictures???:lol:...;)

Six -

Keep in mind that focal length of the camera plays a key factor in what you see as well.

FP is speaking a truth here that is often lost. Some of us are trying to replicate what we see in the pictures when in fact what we did on the FPH is replicate what was actually seen in person. There is a difference and a lot of factors that make something look a certain way in pictures. Take for instance the comparison pics of the MSH1 next to the real helmet. Looks great and accurate right... but there is alot of features to that helmet that are replicating several optical illusions. If you compare it to the ESB Hero in person you can suddenly see the glaring differences.

There is also the factor that the ESB Hero is unlike any of the other Fett helmets for one huge factor... it was heavily damaged and repaired many years ago. This cased allot of irregularities in the shape that are subtle to many but in my opinion set it aside form the others. This LOOK that the ESB has is allot of why it is most peoples favorites but its also why its so hard to truly capture this look short of getting a casting or a scan of the real deal. The FPH was a group effort to try and capture this LOOK in a reasonable way while maintaining a clean helmet to paint.

When you hold this helmet in person or place it on your mannequin assuming you were at C4 and got to see the real deal or have seen the ESB helmet else where in person you will get the same VIBE form this fan made helmet. That is what we were shooting for. Up until now I dont think its ever really been achieved so I am quite excited by this and the work FP has done.

I have a record of all the focal lengths and other camera info from the shots taken at C4 as well as many others and as I work on my helmet I will recreate the same distances and focal lengths and zooms to properly show it off.

as long as we're camera geeking... also keep in mind if using a digital slr that you may not have a full frame body.

take the canon 350D (what i have, aka the rebel XT). it's an APS-C body, so you essentially get a 1.6x multiplier on your focal length.

i shoot primarily with an 18-50mm lens, but on my body it is effectively a 28.8 - 80.

so on an aps-c body, 31.25mm would be the equivalent of 50mm on a standard film camera.

You guys have hit it on the head:lol: The length of the lens is the primary factor in how we have viewed this helmet over the years, also the slightest tilt of the head and even the angle will effect the image as well, maybe even to a greater degree than the lens' used. I was at Celebration Four and made some of my own photographs and that was the first thing that struck me...that how "normal" this helmet looked. That is to say, how much it looked like all of the other helmets that we have seen over the years and that this helmet DOES NOT have the "flair" once preceived to exist. FP has really duplicated the original to such a degree that I will venture to say that once these helmets start to appear in full painted glory we will be blown away by how accurate the FPH really is (y)(y)(y)(y) Oh yes, and not to forget about the machined ears ;) which puts the whole helmet over the top(y)(y)(y)

as long as we're camera geeking... also keep in mind if using a digital slr that you may not have a full frame body.

take the canon 350D (what i have, aka the rebel XT). it's an APS-C body, so you essentially get a 1.6x multiplier on your focal length.

i shoot primarily with an 18-50mm lens, but on my body it is effectively a 28.8 - 80.

so on an aps-c body, 31.25mm would be the equivalent of 50mm on a standard film camera.

Thats good to know being that this is the camera I have as well. Though almost all shots if not all of them that we all use are taken on different digital cameras.

sooo... you saying you don't like the way I take pictures???:lol:...;)

I can't take you anywhere without causing a scene, can I? :lol:
Listen girlfriend, I think you take pretty pictures ... just sayin
that you may not be "focused" (no pun intended) on the mechanics
when you take them :lol:

;)

FP

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back