New Target Boba Fett helmet released

SCORE! I have one coming to me in the UK but wont be here until December, a friends family visiting from Dnever and bringing it with them, no customs not shipping fees :D

New to the forum and picked up a few of these. I'm also working on a RAFAL-works cardboard/fiber glass/bondo scratch build.
Now to these target buckets. Can someone give some advice how to reinforce the insides of these.
I just laid down fiberglass inside my scratch build and it really heats up. Would that melt the plastic on the target buckets?
Thanks in advance. Can't wait to mess around with these!!!
It really shouldn't get that hot. Try doing small sections of fiber glass, it'll keep the heat down and is more controllable.

Sent from my SM-G900P

Cool thanks for the advice Utri! I will definitely keep that in mind when I lay down the fiberglass. Also, when fiberglassing, is it necessary to fiberglass the whole inside? Or is that overkill for these target buckets? Where are the necessary spots to reinforce?
Thanks again!

Cool thanks for the advice Utri! I will definitely keep that in mind when I lay down the fiberglass. Also, when fiberglassing, is it necessary to fiberglass the whole inside? Or is that overkill for these target buckets? Where are the necessary spots to reinforce?
Thanks again!
I think it's probably best to glass all the interior joints and seams, then just kind of "bands" of glass along the inside. When I get home I'll take a picture of what I mean.

But really, as long as you get the seams and don't drop the helmet, you should be pretty good [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900P

Does anyone have any links to materials needed to tint the current visor? as well as a tutorial of some kind? It would be awesome, I'm waiting for mine to get here in the mail so I can modify it. if you have anything that could help me, that would be awesome!

Good question. I would also like some insight on the best way to tint to visor. I have been scratching my head to figure out a way to avoid dremeling it out.

Dremeled mine out last night, and I'm in the process of filing out the shards that were left over. Got a welding visor coming in the mail that I'm going to replace it with. We'll see how that goes.

SB

Does anyone have any links to materials needed to tint the current visor? as well as a tutorial of some kind? It would be awesome, I'm waiting for mine to get here in the mail so I can modify it. if you have anything that could help me, that would be awesome!
You could just take some window tint and put it on the back of the visor. I'm not sure how you'd put the tint on without removing the visor, but since the plastic they used for the visor is delicate anyway, you could just buy a welding face-shield and tint it. Here's a good turtorial of the process from the Mercs: TUTORIAL: Adding Mirror and Color Tint to your Helmet Visor

Thanks Utri. A picture showing where to lay fiberglass would be really helpful. I figure there's no need to bondo this one either is there?

I was planning to just fiberglass the inside for some reinforcement. Then sanding and painting. Not trying to go for an accurate boba fett. I'm using the target buckets for a custom Mando.

Based on just the photos I've seen, I'm surprised how good this lid looks for something mass produced. If it is available at Target in Australia, I'd seriously consider getting it as a display piece or as the basis for a Boba for my son.

Could get some flexible perspecs, window tint that then laminate over the inside of the existing visor?

Like a sort of window tin sandwich

Make the inside one larger so it can be bonded or bolted in

I had the problem with my Rubies one.....I tried window tint and it looked great for display but it was really not practical for wearing, the vision you got out of it wasn't good enough and i ended up with a black nose from rubbing up against it . In the end the only thing to do was to cut it out and replace it...i used a boba maker visor and it makes it 100 times better.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Utri. A picture showing where to lay fiberglass would be really helpful. I figure there's no need to bondo this one either is there?

I was planning to just fiberglass the inside for some reinforcement. Then sanding and painting. Not trying to go for an accurate boba fett. I'm using the target buckets for a custom Mando.
I have had a few different helmets, but the rubies one i have is strong enough to be honest...I certainly didnt think it needed any re-enforcement...I'm sure it'd be fine as it is.

I would say that the front and back face plates could use some reinforcing on these toy helmets. They are are pretty thin and brittle and probably wouldn't do very well if dropped unlike the dome which is curved, thicker, and more flexible.

I managed to snag a few of these online to work on as personal projects, and I've just recently laid down fiberglass strips onto the front and back plates of one of them without overlapping the seams. I remember seeing one user in this thread mention trying to slush a casting resin as reinforcement and had it not stick well. On mine I used epoxy resin and when I went to remove the tape it peeled back a little around the surrounding areas and this was after giving it a thorough sanding with a low grit. So it looks like the epoxy resin doesn't stick on as well as I had hoped either, but I think for it's intended purpose it should do okay as long as I'm not trying to dig in and pop it all off. Fingers crossed! It does make me wonder if any of the Bondo products (polyester resins) would fair any better...I haven't tried Rondo before, but I could attempt to brush it onto another helmet.

Other than that, I've just been coming up with ideas on everything else. It's definitely not a bad build to go off of and is roughly the same size as my WOF builds, but I wish Rubies had included a few more details, especially with a beveled RF, longer (and thicker) stalk, dent, appropriate Borden connector, and a gutter on the left upper cheek. It would've made my job a lot easier, but for $30 I guess I can't complain! :p

As for the visor, I have my own idea on one way it could work: I was thinking of Dremel-ing out most of the clear plastic but leaving a small margin all around the sides and then placing a thinner, flexible tinted face shield on top of it and using adhesive to stick it on from the inside. Granted I would have to leave plenty of room for vision and need to perfect a template before doing so, but I might give that a go.

The hasbro helmet got a lot of things right, but it just *had* to be a voice changer for kids! The borden connector, RF, RF stalk, dent, notch, etc.

But the visor...

Sent from my SM-G900P

Could somebody describe how to take this helmet apart? The ear pieces on mine are somewhat loose, and I want to take it apart to re-glue it.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back