Mannequin modifying

spicy fett

Active Hunter
Hey by any chance does anyone have any advice on modifying a mannequin so my Boba Fett isn’t standing all creepy in the corner of my living room lol I’d love to at least make his arms possible! Any suggestions or tips would be great!

I would highly suggest buying a fiberglass mannequin from eBay or Facebook marketplace. They are stronger and you can easily cut them up and use those fiberglass repair kits to change how arms are posed.

I would highly suggest buying a fiberglass mannequin from eBay or Facebook marketplace. They are stronger and you can easily cut them up and use those fiberglass repair kits to change how arms are posed.
That’s the ultimate goal for sure! This one is temporary I just didn’t want to keep my suit locked inside of a box because I wear it occasionally and it’s also a display piece. I checked out the thread and I got a lot of good ideas! I appreciate all the help and advice for sure!

add a back drop in the corner also helps
maybe a corner wall from jabba's place or
part of slave one cargo hold with lighting so the corner is not so dark

also look into a dummy that has multi points of articulation -- they cost more be nothing beats a action pose in your display
low cost option is to build your own out of pvc plumbing pipe from home depot

hope this helps

have a great sunday funday :)

Another thing to remember is how invested you are into your suit and how many of your items are real/metal. If your build is all resin and pretty light than a PVC/duct tape and/or plastic mannequin is going to be perfect for your needs. Those poseable mannequins will start to sag as well if you start upgrading your resin to metal and resin blaster(s) to metal, etc.

My mannequin started like this:

1626631735315.png

I cut the arm:

1626631823671.png
End Result:
1626631985082.png

Mannequins often have unrealistic proportions. I cut an inch and half out the the thighs on mine and out of
abdomen. I also reworked the arms like Budafett did. I also made simple swivels above the elbows and shortened the forearms.
The pose really matters. Still not satisfied with mine.

Another thing to remember is how invested you are into your suit and how many of your items are real/metal. If your build is all resin and pretty light than a PVC/duct tape and/or plastic mannequin is going to be perfect for your needs. Those poseable mannequins will start to sag as well if you start upgrading your resin to metal and resin blaster(s) to metal, etc.

My mannequin started like this:

View attachment 213480

I cut the arm:

View attachment 213481
End Result:
View attachment 213482
Gotcha! Ya I don’t have to many metal parts besides my left gauntlet which is pretty heavy with my half metal flamethrower and MCR rocket. The plan is to upgrade and eventually swap out what I can to metal parts

found this guy on evil bay but its around 300
says its fully flexible
been wanting to order one
he also has a youtube vid putting his red trooper on the dummy

here is the link -- not my product and not indorsing this in any way-- just providing the info

Last edited:
found this guy on evil bay but its around 300
says its fully flexible
been wanting to order one
he also has a youtube vid putting his red trooper on the dummy

here is the link -- not my product and not indorsing this in any way-- just providing the info

That’s pretty sweet!

oceanrealms
That looks pretty cool! Looks really wobbly (But that was before the guy had it on the stand). Also, this mannequin assumes you'll possibly have some space in which to attach the stand under a shirt. Being that Boba is a full flight suit, I'm willing to bet not too many folks would wanna cut a hole into their flight suit to have it mounted on the stand. And going up through the pant leg may look a bit awkward.

I'm actually working on a 3 foot tall Jawa static prop right now and am' planning to build a Mannequin out of PVC pipe, kinda like this.....

But I'll add my own variations to it.

-Iron

I wouldn't trust my ee-3 and left gauntlet on those arms.
oceanrealms
That looks pretty cool! Looks really wobbly (But that was before the guy had it on the stand). Also, this mannequin assumes you'll possibly have some space in which to attach the stand under a shirt. Being that Boba is a full flight suit, I'm willing to bet not too many folks would wanna cut a hole into their flight suit to have it mounted on the stand. And going up through the pant leg may look a bit awkward.

I'm actually working on a 3 foot tall Jawa static prop right now and am' planning to build a Mannequin out of PVC pipe, kinda like this.....

But I'll add my own variations to it.

-Iron
Ya I’m kinda leaning towards going the pvc pipe route myself!

I don't think you want that manny with the pole that inserts into the spine. It's good enough for an abs TK, but not stable enough and not practical for Fett. The pole insertion point is right where the belts are. Also the head is very spongy and doesn't do well under the weight of Fett's helmet.

I have a couple of mannequins with articulation at the shoulder, elbow and wrist but not at the bicep, so I used a couple of wood blocks and lag bolts to create some bicep rotation. Rotation at the bicep is critical for those more realistic Fett poses. Here's a couple of really short videos from my Instagram that gives a quick look:

This is a bit of an upgrade to a rather janky method I used on my last mannequin with screws and rubber plumber gaskets. It worked but was difficult to fine tune the adjustment. The new mannequin is for a life size ESB build I'm working on. The old method is on the ROTJ life size I did last year in the pic:

Boba.jpg

Another consideration is are you going to have a display costume, or do want to wear it as well. I built my suit to able to wear. I am shorter than Jeremy Bullock and heavier, so when I put the pieces on a mannequin, the vest is too big. I have worn in only twice.

Another consideration is are you going to have a display costume, or do want to wear it as well. I built my suit to able to wear. I am shorter than Jeremy Bullock and heavier, so when I put the pieces on a mannequin, the vest is too big. I have worn in only twice.
Yes, this for sure. I'm close to mannequin size but a couple of inches shorter. I definitely built my ROTJ (above) my current in progress ESB and my upcoming Mando Re-Armor for mannequins only but if you ever want to wear them it'll be tough unless you can find a mannequin that fits your dimensions. Ps. I'm much more likely to fit into the Mando Fett dimensions that Bullock's :)

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back