Iron's Jawa Build

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello My Fellow Fett's,
Most of you may know me from working on my ROTJ Fett all last year and even continuing into this year with upgrades (That old saying that Fett is never complete). I know it is not 100% accurate but it was one of my most proudest creations that I've ever done! Here's just a few of my favorite pics of that build....
(I have even updated a few things since these last pics) If you're interested in that journey, here's the link: Iron's ROTJ WIP
Iron as Boba Fett.JPG

But enough of my ROTJ Fett, today I wanted to start to walk you though my process of building a static 1:1 Jawa prop. This Jawa will stand at exactly 36" as per an article on starwars.com.....
Star War dot com - Article on Jawas.jpg

My inspiration was from a fellow TDH member - Lazerjock ! Who built up this Jawa - which I thought was done great!
(Picture Credit to Lazerjock )
Lazerjock's Jawa.jpg

I'm not too concerned about having a budget, and will just add on pieces as need be (I'm sure I'll be adding more). But here are the list of parts that I've come up with so far and will be working with....
QtyDescriptionVendorPriceNotes
11" x 15" Wood Round BaseLowes$8.23The base this will all sit on.
12" PVC Pipe 10' StickLowes$12.31Will be cut to form the body and arms.
22" PVC CapLowes$5.80End Caps and mount for hands.
22" PVC 45 Degree AngleLowes$2.80/eaUsed for Shoulders.
22" PVC 90 Degree AngleLowes$5.75/eaUsed for the Elbows.
1Scrap piece of 2 x 4N/AN/ATo Shape a Foot.
12" x 3ft. x 25 ft. Hexagonal WireHome Depot$12.99Used to form the body.
17" Childrens Wood HandsAmazon$19.99For the Hands.
1Black Child Opera Satin GLovesAmazon$3.48For the Hands.
1Female Smooth Foam HeadHobby Lobby$5.99For the Head.
1Black Hockey MaskAmazon$9.98For the Head.
2Yellow LED's w/ on off SwitchEtsy$4.95/eaFor the Eyes.
2Gumball ContainersFred Meyer$0.75/eaFor the Eyes.
1Roll of Brown LeatherHobby Lobby$29.99For the Bandolier/Pouches.
2Gunmetal Rivets 8mm x 6mm (Pack of 24)Hobby Lobby$4.99/eaFor the Bandolier/Pouches.
1Brass Sam Browne Studs
(Pack of 30)
Amazon$10.99For the Bandolier/Pouches.
1Belt BuckleHobby Lobby$2.27For the Bandolier/Pouches.
1Ion RifleTDH - LazerjockN/AThanks Lazerjock !
12.5" Blue Lightning Plasma DiscAmazon$24.99For the Ion Rifle.
3 YardsBrown Burlap FabricJoAnn's Fabric Store$15.00For the Robe.
3 YardsBlack FabricJoAnn's Fabric Store$12.00For Inside the Robe & Hood.
2.5 YardsBlack Fleece FabricMichaels$4.00For the Face.
1Featherlite BoningHobby Lobby$5.99Used to Shape the Hood Opening.

Stay tuned! More pics and progress to follow!
:cool: (y)

"UTINNI !!"

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
Irongladiator That is a cool project. I inexplicably will follow this build. Cought my interest! :)

Lazerjock Have you created a WIP for yours? I musta missed it. Can you point me in the right direction?
No I never created one. I figured this is a bounty hunters forum and Jawas are NOT bounty hunters. Lol
The pictures above are of mine though.
Mine will be at the 501st booth at MegaCon this year if you want to stop by. :lol:

So again, the inspiration was Lazerjock 's Jawa! Both of us, at the same time, found ourselves building the ROTJ Boba and bounced ideas off one another and even shared items on Fett related things with one another. After admiring his Jawa he sent me the blaster to get me kicked off!
(y)
Jawa Blaster.jpg

Which was made from these parts and all held together with Hot Glue.....
Parts Used.jpg

I gave Lazerjock a hard time for priming the stock. :p As I wanted to stain it so it looked like the 501st Ion Rifle, which looks like this.....
ROTJ - Jawa Blaster - 501st CRL.jpg

It wasn't too hard to sand it off and before I knew it, I had a clean slate again! (y)
Sanded Stock.jpg

Then I proceeded to stain it. (Used Home Depot's Varathane Provincial & Varathane Sealer)
Stained Stock - Pic 1.jpg

You may have noticed but the barrel also came unglued, so I had to find a creative way to get it back on there and if you know me I like to improve on designs and took it upon myself to strengthen & reinforce it! Since I was using 2" PVC for my Jawa Mannequin, and seeing as how Lazerjock used 2" PVC pieces to create the Ion Rifle, I was able to cut off a small piece and sand a little of it off so the barrel could be reattached! Using super glue, it'll probably be awhile before this comes unglued again. ;) Also, my little Ryobi Sander is just great! It makes such short work of things.
Reinforced Barrel.jpg

I'm not too worried about the PVC Peeking from inside the barrel, because much like how Lazerjock had that little blue lightning effect. I got the same thing, which hides that PVC Piece! (y)
Blue Plasma Disc.jpg

More to come!

-Iron

Last edited:
I started working on my Mannequin and began with the base. I started by mounting the end cap to the base via bolt. I also counter-sank the bolt so it wasn't so tipsy. ;)
Wood Base.jpg

Then, using my wife's shoe (Size 6 - shes petite hehe!) I trace out a portion of the toe onto my scrap block of 2 x 4 and also trace out a circle from the wooden base.....
Wooden Foot.jpg

I then proceeded to build my mannequin, cutting various sizes of 2" PVC Pipe and putting it all together. In addition, I also used my handy dandy Ryobi sander and was able to form the wooden foot....
Partial Mannequin.jpg

Now I just have to secure the foot to the base - but I have an idea for that!

I also made sure my height was right at 36" (3 feet).....
Height with Styrofoam Head.jpg

You can see the yardstick show it at 35" but with it being on the 1" base - well, there ya go! ;)

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
I then began working on my leather pouches. I wasn't sure how much leather I needed so I bought a pretty big roll from Hobby Lobby. Also picked up the associated Rivets From Hobby Lobby as well as some Sam Browne Studs from Amazon.
Hobby Lobby - Roll of Brown Leather.jpg

Using a simple template found online (and attached here - I'm not quite sure who the credit goes to for making that template available for all to see/use) I was able to trace it out onto the leather and got it all cut out. The leather was not thick and very easy to work with Rivets went on without issue as did the Sam Browne Studs.(y)
Leather Pouches.jpg

I have enough material to make another one, and that's what I'm going to do. Once completed I'll toss it in the Cargo Hold to see if anyone wants it. (See if I can't re-coup some of the cost for this Jawa) But first I'm gonna make a Bandolier, but am waiting to see how big I need to make it once more of the Jawa is complete.

More to follow, stay tuned!

Regards,
-Iron

Attachments

• Jawa Bandolier Pouch.pdf
    82.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I've seen many options out there for how to do the hands. I've opt'd to go with a set of child/Jawa sized wooden hands that can articulate and be positioned. Please note, that these hands are stiff and could possibly hold the blaster by themselves. But knowing me, I'll probably reinforce it so the blaster doesn't slip and fall off. I also needed to get a pair of child/Jawa sized black gloves to fit the hands And both came this past weekend!

Wooden Hands and Gloves.jpg

And how do the wooden hands look when grasping the Ion Rifle and the gloves fitted on the wooden hands?
Gripping the Rifle and Gloves Fitted.jpg

I felt that the gloves properly fitted them and it look very good in the way the hands grasped the Ion Rifle. Now, how to get them attached to the Mannequin? For that, I decided to use 2" PVC End Caps with the Wooden Hands Attached directly to them via wood screws.....
Wooden Hands Screwed onto End Cap.jpg

The base of the Wooden Hand is 1.5" in diameter. I tried to look for a PVC adapter locally that would go from 2" to 1.5" and couldn't find one. So I opt'd for the End Caps instead. My hope is that the robe will hang off just before the wrist which will hide the 2" PVC End Cap. If not, I may have to look for an alternate solution. Let me know what you guys think.
:)

Cheers.
-Iron

Those are really small hands even for a child.
Eagar to see them holding the blaster on the Jawa.
Lazerjock
My wife is a Pre-School teacher and she teaches their "3's Class". On average, most 3 year old kids are about 35" to 38" in height (about the height of a Jawa). Yes, school is out but the Pre-School is doing summer camps! My wife forgot her lunch yesterday and I went out with her lunch and my Wooden hand and Yardstick. I found a boy that was about an inch taller than my yardstick! And his hands were the same size as the wooden hand! It was funny, those kids had never seen a wooden hand like that and were absolutely fascinated by it.
:D

Even though the Jawa's are NOT human (Humanoids) they were played by actual kids in ANH! I just wanted to make sure the ratio of the hands were in line with someone that would be about 36" tall. Because like you, I also felt like they were really small. But it seems like they'll do the job and look right.
;)

Irongladiator I really like your progress! And youre posting fast, too! Lazerjock thank you for turning him on to this :D
Im getting Ideas here ... Can totally see myself building one of these and putting him on the workbench as a mascot :D
RamSkirata
Thanks man! This is definitely a chill build and not as stressful as the ROTJ Fett! (Let me say the Fett was stressful, but fun as Hell at the same time!)

Best,
-Iron

Lazerjock
My wife is a Pre-School teacher and she teaches their "3's Class". On average, most 3 year old kids are about 35" to 38" in height (about the height of a Jawa). Yes, school is out but the Pre-School is doing summer camps! My wife forgot her lunch yesterday and I went out with her lunch and my Wooden hand and Yardstick. I found a boy that was about an inch taller than my yardstick! And his hands were the same size as the wooden hand!

I would have never guessed.

Got a little further on the Jawa today. I turned the white PVC into black PVC, so as no white will show through the robes.
;)

Here was the idea behind getting the wooden foot attached....
Wooden Foot Bracket.jpg

I had to get a little creative and carve a notch into the 2x4 for the bracket. (Also had to paint the bracket black)

I also worked on getting the chicken wire fixed on the wood base. Which was pretty easy, just a washer and a wood screw that went between the twisted wire. The chicken wire is so that when the robes fall over the Jawa that they have some shape to it. I just need to form it up a bit more
Chicken Wire Attachment.jpg

And here it all is so far! I have it pictured with the Ion Rifle a little too....
So Far.jpg

For the Ion Rifle I WILL have to come up with a solution, it is too heavy for the fingers to hold it in place - as you can see the tie wrap I have on it to secure it. The other hand that's underneath the barrel is fine. And the wrists are definitely strong enough to hold up the Ion Rifle. My idea is that since it is wood hands to use an eye hook and with smaller tie wraps get it locked in place. Maybe in the Ring Finger and Palm.
Eye Hooks and Small Black Tie Wraps.jpg

The other thought was maybe Velcro. I just don't wanna stick Velcro on the Ion Rifle.

-Iron

Last edited:
On mine I drilled 2 tiny holes in the back of the blaster at the balance point then fished stove pipe wire through and attach it to the chest of the Jawa. This way it is removable if I want to and the holes are so tiny no one will ever see them. I can also fill them if needed.

Another Jawa Update,
I went on a search to find a way to mount that styrofoam head I have. I was thinking about using a bowl and mounting it to the top PVC of my Mannequin. But instead I ended up using a Lid from a Jar.....
Jar Lid Mounted.jpg

I then painted the Lid Black to match as well as my Styrofoam head.....
Jawa Mannequin.jpg

I also spent some time getting the Hockey Mask prepped to be made....
Hockey Mask Hacked up.jpg

For the LED eyes a lot of people use empty gumball containers, using sand paper you scuff them out from the inside to give it that frosted-like appearance. I'm also using the Gumball Container Caps to hot glue the LED's in place. Thankfully the little bulby thing from the inside of the cap was a good, in that I didn't have to measure where the center would be and make my cut....I simply cut it out.
Gumball Cap.jpg

After I cut it out I also painted the inside of the cap white in the hopes that the LED will reflect off of it and shine brighter.

Speaking of shining brighter, the LED's I have when turned on in a dark room seem to have a very hot center.....
LED - Hot Center.jpg

I was able to remedy this issue but lightly sanding with some 320 grit sand paper the bulb of the LED....
LED - Before.jpg

LED Before and After.jpg

Note, sand just the top and a little on the top's sides, till you find that happy medium.
(y)

In addition, I also got a little bit further with the Jawa's Ion Rifle, I was able to paint it up with some Vallejo "Natural Steel" (70.864) and then using some Vallejo "Black" (70.950) for soot/burn effect. I wanna attempt little spots of rust as well, but I'm super nervous about it, as I'm NOT good or confident at all with rusting effects using paints. So I found a little video on YouTube that I may take a stab at trying. The video I speak of is this....

He got some pretty good effect off of it, So I'm pretty stoked to give it a try, if successful, I'll be re-doing my ROTJ Fett EE-3 Blaster with it too!

But here is my rifle now......using a dremel I was able to give it some good scratching effect showcasing that this Jawa has been through some stuff.
Jawa - Ion Rifle - Pic 1.jpg

Jawa - Ion Rifle - Pic 2.jpg

Lemme know whatcha guys think so far!

Thanks,
-Iron

Hey Iron,
It's really coming along. One thing I noticed...The gum ball acorn containers you chose seem to be too large.
All of the Jawas I troop with use the mini containers.

Other that that I think you nailed it!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back