Help needed with scratch build

Davidrsw

New Hunter
Hello

So I just finished building my helmet using RafalFetts fantastic templates and are planning to use fiberglass resin with fiberglass mats to strengthen it.
The problem is that I want to make sure that the material I've used is suitable ( genius me didn't think of it before).

Could anybody give an opinion on the situation, please.

14543497103281998029569.jpg

14543497749382027014718.jpg

I recommend to use pepakura models with a bit thicker paper. sure that takes longer but the result is awesome. I made one and take epoxy resin and fibreglas cloth

Will it be for display only or do you plan on wearing it? if its for display and you fiber the inside and fill the outside it should be ok for show,... if you wear it then it may dent/crack very easy with due to the card being hollow...

It will be for display.
So resin and fiberglass on the inside (and all carton pieces?) And body filler on the dome and visor?

It will be for display.
So resin and fiberglass on the inside (and all carton pieces?) And body filler on the dome and visor?

Yeah I don't see why it wont be ok, like that for display, keep going with it update us with pictures and progress I am sure it will turn out just fine, do the resin/fiber first on the inside and harden it all up the start with your filler (y)

Should I use the fiber mat on the first layer of resin or should I make a layer of pure resin and let it cure first?

Whenever I've fiberglassed the interior of a scratch build I just pre-cut sections of mat and lay them in. Then I soak them all the way through as I go. Some people pre-wet then lay them in, but the point is to eliminate dry spots/ air bubbles under the mat. There's no need to fully cure between layers. The polyester resin cures better when it's cut off from the air anyway.

Be sure to wear a respirator! That's nasty stuff.

IMG20160205182746.jpgI got a chance to fiberglass the inside of the helmet.
Will be using filler tomorrow or the day after.

Ps. sorry for the bad picture

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back