General custom aluminum/ steel Boba costume (pre-pro ESB ROTJ mix)

alienbuilder

New Hunter
hello,
my name is Hinrich and I want to have a Boba Fett suit.

So, last year I started building one. I m also on the RPF for some time, so maybe some of you have already seen this, but I think everything depending Boba Fett should be posted here too.

My attempt was not to make an 1:1 original Suit, but a (cheap?) mixed Suit that should look a little bit like the Pre-Pro suit with some details out of both of the movies. And I wanted it to look a little real life so I used stainless steel for the helmet and aluminum for the armor to give it a heavy look and make it feel like a real armor. so here are some pictures of the progress I made until now:

first I bought a bowl as base for the helmet...

IMG_0634%20Kopie_zpscgodkwgy.jpg

than I cut out all the parts of a sheet of steel and welded everything together

Foto-0123_zpsot4wwx6y.jpg

Foto-0126_zpsbf3mxrur.jpg

Foto-0135_zpsnzv7uqmg.jpg

Foto-0136_zpsavxj8wrj.jpg

Foto-0138_zpsbovzkdcv.jpg

Foto-0157_zpswk5vklxf.jpg

IMG_0706%20Kopie_zpszr5gshpz.jpg

IMG_0710%20Kopie_zpsz4otn9f6.jpg

IMG_0717%20Kopie_zpsuo4hlrij.jpg

IMG_0721%20Kopie_zpsdvombtep.jpg

IMG_0730%20Kopie_zpsdhs07mfp.jpg

than painted and weathered...

IMG_0752%20Kopie_zps9fcxgmvl.jpg

IMG_0757%20Kopie_zps7ctryo3k.jpg

IMG_0761%20Kopie_zpshbzwunje.jpg

IMG_0779%20Kopie_zpsyg1kaqmk.jpg

IMG_0785%20Kopie_zpsjurpvbfu.jpg

IMG_0794%20Kopie_zps8bkg1ymb.jpg

and with a padding added

IMG_0811%20Kopie_zpshqgbsnzr.jpg

IMG_0812%20Kopie_zpsnkd3ijsx.jpg

than I started the costume with buying an overall and attaching the short sleeves and the pockets

20150923_225556_zpskc4obkhk.jpg

the flackvest and the other softparts were sewn by myself, cloves are modified brown leather gloves and the belt is just a brown belt...

IMG_1452_zpskohmdwxx.jpg

modified shoes:

IMG_1460_zpstsojgw69.jpg

and the welded aluminum parts:

IMG_1527_zpssi4rfs6y.jpg

IMG_1537%20Kopie_zps2zuyhb7v.jpg

I attached them with some velcro

IMG_1542_zpsgsndzotn.jpg

IMG_1541_zpseqydydgz.jpg

and this is were I am now. almost finished but I still have do make the gaunlets and the nipples on the shoulders are also missing. I also bought one of these cheap Rubies EE3 Blaster and modified it a bit. not perfect, but for the price not too bad I think...

IMG_1596_zps4wm2r32n.jpg

IMG_2204%20Kopie_zpsyjpaoabq.jpg

IMG_2206%20Kopie_zpsejygka9f.jpg

IMG_2207%20Kopie_zps1d1yolxl.jpg

IMG_2208%20Kopie_zps8vdsn4id.jpg

IMG_2209%20Kopie_zpsggrttkoj.jpg

pew pew

IMG_2213%20Kopie_zpsxh2qotsc.jpg

IMG_2214%20Kopie_zpsrqbaafdq.jpg

IMG_2233%20Kopie_zps07wlqiiu.jpg

IMG_2235%20Kopie_zpseju8fba8.jpg

IMG_2236%20Kopie_zpsv5gy7dzo.jpg

IMG_2237%20Kopie_zpsqblvikpc.jpg

IMG_2238%20Kopie_zpswpcppy8b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hinrich.
I'd seen your post on the RPF at the beginning of this year sometime and could never find it again. Delighted you posted this here because I thought your scratch build looked great and now I can see your progress here. :)
The helmet and metalwork looks incredible. It must weigh a few pounds? It would certainly help stop a real bullet :D
BTW: How thick is your body armour aluminium/aluminum in mm? I'm looking to do exactly the same as you (except self build the helmet in cardboard/plastic)

Hope to see you complete your full suit someday!

I think since you've got such talent with welding and metal work you definitely should make a more size accurate blaster....the Hasbro is great for a child but its very small for a adult.

Hi Hinrich.
I'd seen your post on the RPF at the beginning of this year sometime and could never find it again. Delighted you posted this here because I thought your scratch build looked great and now I can see your progress here. :)
The helmet and metalwork looks incredible. It must weigh a few pounds? It would certainly help stop a real bullet :D
BTW: How thick is your body armour aluminium/aluminum in mm? I'm looking to do exactly the same as you (except self build the helmet in cardboard/plastic)

Hope to see you complete your full suit someday!

thank you, well, I hope to finish it for the rogue one premiere this year, but without any jetpack I guess. the helmet weights around 2,5 kg so its pretty heavy... but still wearable. but I wont try a real bullit test:cool
for the armor I used 2mm Aluminum sheets but cyberpyrot here on this site is doing an armor in aluminum too with an 3mm ones. also looks pretty nice and a little bit more massive I think.

I think since you've got such talent with welding and metal work you definitely should make a more size accurate blaster....the Hasbro is great for a child but its very small for a adult.

the blaster is a rubies mod and yes, its definitly too short but feels still good in my hands. filled the whole thing up with resin so its pretty massive now. when it came to the blaster I first thought about casting one in aluminum and maybe I ll do something like that one tay...

thank you, well, I hope to finish it for the rogue one premiere this year, but without any jetpack I guess. the helmet weights around 2,5 kg so its pretty heavy... but still wearable. but I wont try a real bullit test:cool the you
for the armor I used 2mm Aluminum sheets but cyberpyrot here on this site is doing an armor in aluminum too with an 3mm ones. also looks pretty nice and a little bit more massive I think.

Fantastic. I'd love to see the result for Rogue One. I'm using 3mm aluminium for the armour and I think Cyberpyrot is using around 4.5 or nearly 5mm but I'm hoping to round my armour to make it look thicker (by filing the edges in a curve shape as I can see in many other ABS or plastic variations of the armour that has been molded in 1 or 2mm ABS/plastic). Cyberpyrots' armour looks amazing I must admit and he doesn't have to do the rounding to achieve the extra thickness. I haven't got a lot of tools to weld so I'll be getting creative :p
I'm hoping to get my suit to look similar to yours as a scratch build for the Boba Fett film premier (whenever it releases). I've just done my first cutting of my aluminium armour pieces (mainly the upper front body armour) and hopefully the shaping process will go well. I'll post my own progress sometime soon.
I have to agree with Fett 4 Real, your skills with metal are wonderful. Would love to see what you do to make the gauntlets. Perhaps you could do the bottom curves in aluminium and the tops in a combination of aluminium and other materials. I know for me, the gauntlets will be the most difficult.
Anyway, best of luck completing the suit...I'm way behind :D

I love this build , it has a touch of realism in it using metal . I particularly like the padding inside of the helmet . That's a nice touch

Fantastic. I'd love to see the result for Rogue One. I'm using 3mm aluminium for the armour and I think Cyberpyrot is using around 4.5 or nearly 5mm but I'm hoping to round my armour to make it look thicker (by filing the edges in a curve shape as I can see in many other ABS or plastic variations of the armour that has been molded in 1 or 2mm ABS/plastic). Cyberpyrots' armour looks amazing I must admit and he doesn't have to do the rounding to achieve the extra thickness. I haven't got a lot of tools to weld so I'll be getting creative :p
I'm hoping to get my suit to look similar to yours as a scratch build for the Boba Fett film premier (whenever it releases). I've just done my first cutting of my aluminium armour pieces (mainly the upper front body armour) and hopefully the shaping process will go well. I'll post my own progress sometime soon.
I have to agree with Fett 4 Real, your skills with metal are wonderful. Would love to see what you do to make the gauntlets. Perhaps you could do the bottom curves in aluminium and the tops in a combination of aluminium and other materials. I know for me, the gauntlets will be the most difficult.
Anyway, best of luck completing the suit...I'm way behind :D

thanks. yes, the gaunlets have a really complicate shape. I want to weld everything and use aluminum hinges to weld them in. hope it will work. the convex forms are no problem, but the concave structures I may weld from the inside and fill with some bondo than. I first thought about curving the edges but just was too lazy. I also thought this could be a little bit contra productive for my attachment using the velcro. I m really looking forward to see your progress than. think aluminum is a good material to make a more durable armor.

I love this build , it has a touch of realism in it using metal . I particularly like the padding inside of the helmet . That's a nice touch

thank you too. the padding is ok for me now. well, its a kind of compromise because the helmet is pretty tight on my head, even if my head is already small though. so I had not really much space to put a good padding in. I m more satisfied with my TK and clone helmet padding which have a nice touch of realism to me. always wanted a TK helmet as a child and always had some image in my head what one of these should look like inside. this image was not really the ones the star wars compendium offered me later I must say. here are some pictures of the other helmets interior I made:

TK Helmet
IMG_0609%20Kopie_zpscnrwlb0a.jpg

IMG_0615%20Kopie_zpscb4iunw9.jpg

and the shocktrooper helmet

IMG_0415%20Kopie_zpsvc4r4y7r.jpg

IMG_0418%20Kopie_zps4urwq1pc.jpg

IMG_0422%20Kopie_zpsaxmyn7yi.jpg

Wow ! Those pictures of the helmet interior are awesome . How to you create them?

full threads are on the RPF:
Shock Trooper, Finishing my PUR Resin Model

Rubies Stormtrooper Helmet modification

Aluminum cast Clone Trooper Helmet

the padding I sew by myself, not too hard to do if you´ve got some few sewing skills. the mouth piece and lens frame I ve sculpted in clay and made a cheap silicone mold from them. for the resin clone helmet I used also some PUR resin to cast it. the round pieces in the area of the mictips are actually door stoppers. and the little screens are cheap digital pictureframes. they work great for me because as a child I always thought there would be some kind of screens inside of such helmet.

finally made the collar studs today. just drilled an 8 mm hole into aluminum cubes and hammered some steel nuts into it. the nuts were a little bit bigger than the hole. for safe I ?floated?...dont know the english word for it... the aluminum around the nut a little bit to fix it. but I think the nuts would sit pretty tight in it without that too. maybe I will have a chance to start the gaunlets this week.

IMG_2442%20Kopie_zpsu9vugqrj.jpg

IMG_2444%20Kopie_zpschn36jty.jpg

Seeing that hand made armour, gives me energy to keep going on mine. I'm a week away from beginning my own thread on my progress. Well done so far alienbuilder.

thanks you. good luck with your build.

here are some bad photos of the left gauntlet I almost finished today. just a little cleaning here. the locking mechanism is the only thing I ll have to think about a little more. bought some clip locks, but now I think they are a little bit too obvious. maybe I can find some smaller ones. anyway the aluminum work is done. next will be the right gauntlet than.

Foto-0110_zpswq9laegm.jpg

Foto-0111%20Kopie_zpsfq73eczc.jpg

Foto-0112%20Kopie_zpsdzbd5fnc.jpg

Foto-0113%20Kopie_zps7cgx2zuc.jpg

Foto-0114%20Kopie_zpssrvmfpvh.jpg

Looking good you got me beat.

thanks for this compliment:), but I think your armor is much closer to a screenaccurate one. awesome work you made. did you already made the left gauntlet too? pretty complicate little thing to weld I think.

here are some better pictures of mine. I added some new cliplocks I found. pretty happy with these. they are making the whole thing a bit more funktional. not accurate but more to my idealised image of an armor. after a little bit of filling and detailing I can start painting and adding the keypad.

IMG_2445%20Kopie_zpshwygnfbl.jpg

IMG_2447%20Kopie_zpsu8w01m7z.jpg

IMG_2450%20Kopie_zpsntbogm3c.jpg

IMG_2453%20Kopie_zpsyb9pzukz.jpg

IMG_2454%20Kopie_zpslc9m5och.jpg

IMG_2456%20Kopie_zps3zba0sxa.jpg

IMG_2457%20Kopie_zpss11vze0s.jpg

IMG_2461%20Kopie_zps1ygliirh.jpg

IMG_2462%20Kopie_zps714jpvf2.jpg

IMG_2463%20Kopie_zpspzdiyxlj.jpg

here is some progress. after filling and sanding the left gauntlet I made it to paint it this weekend. I also weathered it. the weathering was some kind of fun with the aluminum. I did not use a primer so you can add scratches and chipped paint easily by using some piece of metal and do some real scratching. the color goes off easily than and it looks natural.
next thing will be to find the keypad and add it. and the gauntlet will need a rocket too. but maybe I ll start working on the right one before doing the rocket...

IMG_2474%20Kopie_zpstuhu8qez.jpg

IMG_2475%20Kopie_zpse6kwknlc.jpg

IMG_2476%20Kopie_zpsjbw72t9h.jpg

IMG_2477%20Kopie_zps5dbhnyjz.jpg

IMG_2479%20Kopie_zpskooqqkjm.jpg

IMG_2480%20Kopie_zps6phrqtmc.jpg

IMG_2482%20Kopie_zpsvfncu5jd.jpg

IMG_2483%20Kopie_zpsm1q9pqhp.jpg

IMG_2484%20Kopie_zpscvoiawxl.jpg

IMG_2485%20Kopie_zpsbs6rshtl.jpg

IMG_2487%20Kopie_zps3cy0ikzr.jpg

IMG_2488%20Kopie_zpsntmx8rla.jpg

IMG_2489%20Kopie_zpsylfztx42.jpg

IMG_2490%20Kopie_zpsxtyiutbb.jpg

IMG_2491%20Kopie_zpsjbntep1z.jpg

That is a thing of real beauty. I love the way it looks real-world and knowing it is made of metal makes it even cooler.
I don't know how you did that in metal but it looks amazing. The weathering is also great looking.
Well done alienbuilder. I certainly wont be able to top that.
Awesome work!

That is a thing of real beauty. I love the way it looks real-world and knowing it is made of metal makes it even cooler.
I don't know how you did that in metal but it looks amazing. The weathering is also great looking.
Well done @alienbuilder. I certainly wont be able to top that.
Awesome work!

thanks a lot. well, its really cool in aluminum, but I think not 100% accurate. for me it looks good, but all of that is just bend somehow and welded together. I m also using the cardboard templates and and they work well most of the time, but you ll have to improve from time to time. the gauntlets are such a complicate form, all the bending of the aluminum results some changing in the measurement. well, its not too hard do make these, but you need some place for welding aluminum.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back