Creating the Jumpsuit or Coveralls

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Why don't you try to use an old worksuit as a pattern? The colour has no importance. You just need to use a seam ripper, find the right light gray cloth or better white cloth and dye it gray.

Ask TK 409 for a pouch pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a pattern by a company called Green Pepper called the "black butte jumpsuit" its pretty good as a base coverall, but you will have to do a few minor alterations, and make the double sleeves. I think obi sean kenobi also has made some suits with this pattern, so you may want to check with him as well. I got my pattern at a local Jo Annes fabrics about a year ago, and haven't seen any in my neck of the woods for a while, but if you do some checking you should be able to find one. Hope that helps :)
Damian

thanks for the info Damian. i found green peper on the net and the pattern for the jumpsuit as well. Took a long time but i knew someone out there had the answer. Thanks again!

EVO3

I used the same pattern for mine, and it looks great. It took me a while to figure out that most fabric stores stopped carrying that particular pattern, but it was easy enough to order from the Green Pepper website.

I used gray Dickies for Boba, bleached them and they turned out great.
I used white Redkap and dyed them blue for Jango. Again, turned out great.

Wes

I altered the only jumpsuit pattern I could find....an Elvis halloween pattern. Once the legs and sleeves are altered it works perfect as a base for a whole lot of costumes (Boba, Jango, Tie Pilot etc.) Just different placement of pockets etc.

BFett333 wrote:

I altered the only jumpsuit pattern I could find....an Elvis halloween pattern. Once the legs and sleeves are altered it works perfect as a base for a whole lot of costumes (Boba, Jango, Tie Pilot etc.) Just different placement of pockets etc.

Man , now thats an Idea. Rhinestone Fett!!!:lol:
Still I bet it looks a whole lot better than my current jumpsuit (bleached from UK airforce maintenence green down to a light grey/green). I've got to get those dickies ordered:eek:.

BFett333 wrote:

I looked all evening long for pattern and Elvis was a s close as I could find also. That's Sad. I searched the whole city for coveralls and no luck. the only ones that I found were like adult size small, or some one as wide as they are tall.
This is becoming a hopeless quest to find a jumpsuit. Guess I will have to buy some red caps and cut them up. really did not want to go that route. Oh Well.

I got 1 pair of white cotton coveralls from automotiveworkwear.com. Then I cut the sleeves short on them to the desired length hemmed it with pins and made sure both where the same exact length, and removed all unwanted pockets and washed it 4 times to remove the old sew lines

I then went to a fabric store and got 100% cotton in the same pattern weave, 3 yards worth.

I then cut a pattern for the long sleeves from the short sleeves by folding the cloth in half and followed the exact same lines as the short sleeves only I made them alot longer. Then I sewed both long sleeves up and stiched it inside the short sleeves, and hemmed up the cuff.

I then cut the saddle bags and thigh pockets out and had a local seamtress sew them together. I also got her to sew up my sleeves better and added the sema line on the front of the arms and added stirrups for the legs so my pants would not ride up, thumb loops so my sleeves wouldnt ride up and velco closures at the wrist and ankles, and even the tool pockets all for $40, well worth it.

I went to wal-mart after that and got gray fabric dye took the pieces I had left over and test dyed it, It came out a little to gray so I lessened the amount and used the same amount of water and dyed the coveralls.

They are not a perfect match but close enough. I then took them outside and weathered them for a week, letting the rain and sun beat on it for awhile. finally I took them inside and washed them in fabric softener 4 times.

I found a jumpsuit at JC Penney's on the internet. They have it in Steel Blue. Has anyone seen these to know how close the color is to the ESB? they look like a preety close pattern that are made of Poplin so I could find a pretty close match for the sleeves and pockets.

Dude, I must have had a brain fart. My idea is much like yours, though I recycle material from the suit for sleeves and shin tools.

No wonder you gave me such a ribbing!!!!!! Ha! <--crappy copy of your good idea, mine involves less wife time! She is even having me cut the fabric!

Night, I am about to pass out, until next time.

cal196 wrote:

I got 1 pair of white cotton coveralls from automotiveworkwear.com. Then I cut the sleeves short on them to the desired length hemmed it with pins and made sure both where the same exact length, and removed all unwanted pockets and washed it 4 times to remove the old sew lines

I then went to a fabric store and got 100% cotton in the same pattern weave, 3 yards worth.

I then cut a pattern for the long sleeves from the short sleeves by folding the cloth in half and followed the exact same lines as the short sleeves only I made them alot longer. Then I sewed both long sleeves up and stiched it inside the short sleeves, and hemmed up the cuff.

I then cut the saddle bags and thigh pockets out and had a local seamtress sew them together. I also got her to sew up my sleeves better and added the sema line on the front of the arms and added stirrups for the legs so my pants would not ride up, thumb loops so my sleeves wouldnt ride up and velco closures at the wrist and ankles, and even the tool pockets all for $40, well worth it.

I went to wal-mart after that and got gray fabric dye took the pieces I had left over and test dyed it, It came out a little to gray so I lessened the amount and used the same amount of water and dyed the coveralls.

They are not a perfect match but close enough. I then took them outside and weathered them for a week, letting the rain and sun beat on it for awhile. finally I took them inside and washed them in fabric softener 4 times.

Originally posted by Skaught77:

Dickies.com is selling a khaki short sleeve worksuit for just $9.99. That's dang cheap. It's khaki, so it will need to be dyed. I'm not sure how that will work out. Maybe some color remover first? I haven't mess with that.

any other deals cause the cover alls on Dickies.com are all out, du to back orders.... just curious if anybody else had sources

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back