Can't catch a break lol

B0B4F3TT

Hunter
So ive made these gloves, and can i just say it was a labour of love, its taken me ages. I dyed them a little too grey and after sewing the patches on i decided i would try and bleach out some of the grey. Bad mistake. Some how ive ended up with this wine red colour (which i couldnt have made even if i tried). Now they would match great with the gauntlets and the girth belt but im not sure the Boba Fett aficionado's out there would give me points for my outfit matching. That said, if anyone has a pair of the Rotj gloves for sale then please let me know. I'm hoping these will dry a different colour but i don't hold much hope and I'm not sure i can make another pair.

Attachments

• 20210906_191521.jpg
    20210906_191521.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Hey B0b4f3tt,

I have no idea how grey goes to brown lol, that's really weird.

I would've avoided using bleach to remove the color, bleach basically makes the threads not able to take color well depending on how much you used. Alternatively, I would've used RIT color remover made for dyes. Unfortunately, the brownish color will lighten as they dry and remain- dark colors are almost impossible to properly revert to a light color.

The color it is now is not too far off from a Pre Pro 2 Coco Brown, maybe it's a sign you should switch to pre pro 2 Fett cause he's the best Fett ;) ;)
20210906_130216.jpg

Bleach them again. 1 gallon of cold water, 1-2 tablespoons of bleach, soak them for up to a half hour stirring every minute for the first five, then again every five minutes. They won't ever get white again, but you should be able to get them light pink enough to attempt to re-dye them grey.

If they don't lighten up enough, rinse them thoroughly and repeat the process. Always use cold water, hot water deactivates the bleach.

I've salvaged many a pair of gloves I dyed too dark for ROTJ or SE that way

Hey B0b4f3tt,

I have no idea how grey goes to brown lol, that's really weird.

I would've avoided using bleach to remove the color, bleach basically makes the threads not able to take color well depending on how much you used. Alternatively, I would've used RIT color remover made for dyes. Unfortunately, the brownish color will lighten as they dry and remain- dark colors are almost impossible to properly revert to a light color.

The color it is now is not too far off from a Pre Pro 2 Coco Brown, maybe it's a sign you should switch to pre pro 2 Fett cause he's the best Fett ;) ;)View attachment 214910
Because grey rit dye isn't actually grey. It's a combination of colors, mostly blues and pinks. If you do stovetop dye baths, next time you mix a batch only stir it gently when you add it and let the pot come to a low boil. Check out the foam and you should see some of the colors separated and trapped in the bubbles. After that give it a good stir to combine the colors and wait for the foam to dissipate before dropping anything in to dye it.

Bleach them again. 1 gallon of cold water, 1-2 tablespoons of bleach, soak them for up to a half hour stirring every minute for the first five, then again every five minutes. They won't ever get white again, but you should be able to get them light pink enough to attempt to re-dye them grey.

If they don't lighten up enough, rinse them thoroughly and repeat the process. Always use cold water, hot water deactivates the bleach.

I've salvaged many a pair of gloves I dyed too dark for ROTJ or SE that way
I used hot water. U live n learn. Thanks.

Will do pal. Thanks
They turned out a little lighter but i think the damage is done. Ive got a Rit colour remover and a Rit Light grey coming in next couple days so its not all lost. In the meantime if the pink power ranger is looking for her gloves, send her in my direction

Attachments

• 20210907_150756.jpg
    20210907_150756.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
They turned out a little lighter but i think the damage is done. Ive got a Rit colour remover and a Rit Light grey coming in next couple days so its not all lost. In the meantime if the pink power ranger is looking for her gloves, send her in my direction
You could dye them with some RIT Coco Brown and sell them as a base for someone who wanted to do a Pre Pro 2. I'm sure someone would snag them

back to the bleach bath for them!!! maybe make it a little stronger, try 3 tblsp of bleach this time. you should be shooting for a bubblegum pink, like this:
1631067290533.png

that's light enough to try again with the pearl grey

back to the bleach bath for them!!! maybe make it a little stronger, try 3 tblsp of bleach this time. you should be shooting for a bubblegum pink, like this:
View attachment 214931

that's light enough to try again with the pearl grey
Now they are dry they resemble the bubblegum pink colour. I'll post new pics after i attempt to re-dye them again. Thanks.

Im not gonna call it a win but im happy with the result. The polyester patches took on a bit of grey but at least there not pink anymore. I used Rit colour remover first and then they took the grey easily.

Attachments

• 20210909_121614.jpg
    20210909_121614.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 20210910_180116.jpg
    20210910_180116.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
I have had some success however with my shin tool. The Mitchell sylus brush was made out of a 10mm round ali bar, centre punched the holes, drilled and then tapped out the thread. It would have been easier on a drill press but seen as i dont have a workshop or shed it was done on my home made mitre block, a clamp and my kitchen worktop. The knurled top peice is a resin cast of the air hose connector on my airbrush that was glued and painted. I'm happy with how its turned out.

Attachments

• 20210911_124750.jpg
    20210911_124750.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210911_124926.jpg
    20210911_124926.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 20210910_170833.jpg
    20210910_170833.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20210908-205240_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-205240_Video Player.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 99
Which version are you going for? Because that new picture makes them look really light, even for SE.

Which version are you going for? Because that new picture makes them look really light, even for SE.
I was going for Rotj Hero. My original ones came out too dark grey, i thought best go for light grey, its easier to darken with distressing and aging than it is to lighten them again. Ive got a pic of how they originally looked, ill try find it.

Attachments

• 20210813_213441.jpg
    20210813_213441.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 80
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back