best albums thread

I'm a simple man. Green Day's "Dookie" album for me. Imo it captured that conflict of socially going from adolescence into adulthood very well.

...and the songs are fun as hell to play and sing along to.

I'm a simple man. Green Day's "Dookie" album for me. Imo it captured that conflict of socially going from adolescence into adulthood very well.

...and the songs are fun as hell to play and sing along to.

dude, i learned to play guitar from the dookie tab book. i learned what palm muting was and i was amazed when i played "when i come around"

I love so much of the music already mentioned...I love hair metal...aaand anything power pop/alt Cheap trick, Matthew Sweet, Husker Du/Sugar, The Pixies, Marvelous 3 et al.

Very nice thread!
I still love to start my Sony S-Arm record-player. Most played albums are:
Back in Black - AC/DC
1916 - Motörhead

Come on guys. Narrow it down. Give us an album for a genre not a band. That would be the best bands thread:)

They were at their best with Dianno

Seeing lots of great music here gents.Most of the albums are at least 20+ years old. Out of curiosity...do you guys find it hard to like new music? Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.

Let's take indie rock for example. I like some of the new indie rock...but most of what I listen to on the radio is, "Oh, I like one or two songs from this band...but the rest of the album is junk." And then you multiply that by how many bands are out there making similar music. Because of this, I don't find myself getting attached to any one particular band. It's all just a 'genre' to me now more than anything. I find that the age of the 'album' is over...where all the songs in an album have synergy and work together. I'm always reminded of Dark Side of the Moon and how each song just blends into the other, using riffs from previous songs sprinkled throughout to tie it all together.

Sorry if this is a thread derailment. We don't really have a music thread :)

Seeing lots of great music here gents.Most of the albums are at least 20+ years old. Out of curiosity...do you guys find it hard to like new music? Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.

Let's take indie rock for example. I like some of the new indie rock...but most of what I listen to on the radio is, "Oh, I like one or two songs from this band...but the rest of the album is junk." And then you multiply that by how many bands are out there making similar music. Because of this, I don't find myself getting attached to any one particular band. It's all just a 'genre' to me now more than anything. I find that the age of the 'album' is over...where all the songs in an album have synergy and work together. I'm always reminded of Dark Side of the Moon and how each song just blends into the other, using riffs from previous songs sprinkled throughout to tie it all together.

Sorry if this is a thread derailment. We don't really have a music thread :)

I agree for the most part. The Internet distribution of music has changed the value of the album I think...or at least the regularity of seeing albums released as a full 10+ track experience. We've entered an age where "an album's worth of quality songs" is the new definition of a "concept album" regardless of whether the songs are tied together thematically or musically. Being able to purchase music by the song makes (in most cases) buying an album almost a silly idea unless you have money to throw away, and consequently makes writing, recording, and promoting an entire album also a bit wasteful of resources.

I know there have always been 45's, cassingles, EP's, etc. but with the instant delivery and gratification of the web pushing our and the next generations into a short attention span mold, it seems likely that a great, solid, cohesive album is just going to become more and more rare.

Of course, I'm mostly talking out of my ass here.

Another great album that I'd like to hear on vinyl: Homogenic by Björk

I think when I started the thread I was thinking of kind of Genre defining records and I feel the record I mentioned is certainly a great example of that particular genre. I'd have to think to find a similar example of another genre that's less than twenty years old.You could certainly do it if looking at more modern music types and if that were the case then no record collection is complete without Photek's Modus Operandi or DJ Shadow's Endtroducing. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Damon Albarm's Everyday Robots from last year wasn't bad either!

Last edited by a moderator:
In honour of the great one I'll be listening to Station to Station today. I'll probably be playing Wild is the Wind a few times. Thanks for the tunes David. See you in the next.....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back