501st/LFL/Disney releases a No Blasters policy for ALL events

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Well, i have just been informed that the 501st was instructed by LFL/Disney that we are not to have blasters at any events until further notice due to current events.

While i do understand the reasoning, to me, Fett is useless without his rifle (and sidearm for us ESB Fetts) I refuse to troop Fett without his blasters, and therefore will likely semi-retire it for trooping with the 501st. Hopefully this will blow over, but honestly, i doubt this is temporary..something awful happens every month..the amount of violence happening recently is staggering, and we may be on the verge of WW3. Sad but true, so i wouldnt be surprised if this temporary ban goes on for years. Maybe im wrong, i hope i am, but thats what i see coming.

Cons are already pretty strict with weapons as it is and i have a feeling that they will also become more strict. I have 1 con in 2 weeks that i was getting my Fett ready for to finally be able to troop it again, and i will troop it without the blasters, just because i havent trooped my Fett in so Long, but after that, I wont be trooping it.

Im going to look for a good size manikin and have Arkady do new soft parts to fit the manikin and i will display the suit that way.

Hopefully this blows over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang.....thank goodness our garrison doesn't fall under the 501st ;-) ....but like you say be weird seeing fett unarmed..

Dang.....thank goodness our garrison doesn't fall under the 501st ;-) ....but like you say be weird seeing fett unarmed..

Its actually for all LFL associated/approved fan groups.

yea it is for sure. I did one event like that and felt weird unarmed.

That blows. I will leave the EE-3 at home but I will see if I can get away with leaving the sidearm in the holster (maybe 3d print a handle and a tip so it looks like there is one not actually have one in the holster).

They are using current events to over react and take guns out of Star WARS
Kind of tough to have a war without weapons don't you think.

While I've been expecting something like that from Disney for a while, it may not be as bad as that. This is the latest I've seen:

"****WEAPONS HANDLING / USE | Lucasfilm, Ltd. - Disney Policy****

Please standby for further information and details as they develop on this topic.

Currently we are researching and will advise once we know more.
Unfortunately, we need additional data in order to field questions and concerns that the 501st Legion / Golden Gate Garrison has.
Thank you.

Yes there are still further discussions going on, but we have been told to not carry weapons to ANY events at this time...at least in my garrison...but we ARE still discussing it. I may have made it seem worse than it currently is just because i am very disappointed because ive been working my butt off to get My Fett ready to troop again and now this is like a kick to the gut. I finally painted my real Pulce 40 and was excited to actully troop it..so now my real pulce and real nemrod holster have to stay in the bin, and of course my awesome SR blaster with a ton of found parts on it....i was just very excited to finally get out there again and this saddened me quite a bit as i feel the rifle is a huge part of the fett costume..

- - - Updated - - -

They are using current events to over react and take guns out of Star WARS
Kind of tough to have a war without weapons don't you think.

they have been doing this for a while now with certain events...i mean, i understand it more with the school shootings and such as guns may scare small children, but i think it should be at the garrison/event discretion. That said, as i see it, LFL/Disney are a huge company just trying to cover their butts.

I can understand the how and why. Afterall, a herd of **man/animal/whatever*** never respond reasonably. Hence overreactions in crowded places with herds.

But I would like to point out that the most gun restrictive places (at least here in the US) tend to have the highest rate of gun related crimes. So banning them --real or otherwise-- seems to be counterproductive as the pychonuts who want to hurt people aren't concerned about breaking laws. There are ways to ensure that the toy replicas and 3D printables check out as harmless props when people walk through the doors, if it were a well planned event. I feel they're just taking the easy way and banning rather than to take the time for precautions. Just my opinion, which amounts to zero in the minds of most other people.

Yes there are still further discussions going on, but we have been told to not carry weapons to ANY events at this time...at least in my garrison...but we ARE still discussing it. I may have made it seem worse than it currently is just because i am very disappointed because ive been working my butt off to get My Fett ready to troop again and now this is like a kick to the gut. I finally painted my real Pulce 40 and was excited to actully troop it..so now my real pulce and real nemrod holster have to stay in the bin, and of course my awesome SR blaster with a ton of found parts on it....i was just very excited to finally get out there again and this saddened me quite a bit as i feel the rifle is a huge part of the fett costume..

- - - Updated - - -

they have been doing this for a while now with certain events...i mean, i understand it more with the school shootings and such as guns may scare small children, but i think it should be at the garrison/event discretion. That said, as i see it, LFL/Disney are a huge company just trying to cover their butts.

LFL has requested that members of the LFL associated groups not have blasters at all events. They did not REQUIRE that this be done. The 501st command has not issued a formal position on this matter one way or another...but one is planned to be released by Legion command in response to LFL's request within the next 24 hours.

That said Disney's response to this is absolute horsecrap considering they are still bringing blasters to official LFL events. The decision for people requesting that 501st members NOT bring blasters has always been a host decision...this is LFL just doing something stupid because they can. It's not the first time this happened...it happened after 9/11 and briefly for other periods of time in the past.

Had the same thoughts when the theaters locally banned costumes for the new releases ... Prob should ban hoodies too ... I can tuck about 12 real pistols in my waist if I really wanted. Punishing law abiding people just lets terrorists win. Plain and simple - impairing freedom of people just trying to enjoy life.

Had the same thoughts when the theaters locally banned costumes for the new releases ... Prob should ban hoodies too ... I can tuck about 12 real pistols in my waist if I really wanted. Punishing law abiding people just lets terrorists win. Plain and simple - impairing freedom of people just trying to enjoy life.

Exactly. If somebody is determined to hurt people, they arn't going to get caught through these enforcements.

This article just come out. It appears the Ban may happen to do only with the Premiere of the New Star Wars movie, due to fear of mass shootings:

Report: Lucasfilm Bans Blasters for Stormtrooper Cosplayer Clubs Attending Star Wars: The Force Awakens Screenings - IGN

I would wait on a full official report from the 501st after things are discussed. They will have all the info directly from LFL. As far as I understand from my Garrison, this is for all events, current and future until further notice.

I can't see how Disney can possibly hope to dictate the behaviour of a private citizen playing at dressing up. Organisers may be able to impose conditions of entry to private premises but this policy request only has teeth if people bow to it. People forget that whilst there is a grey area when it comes to unlicensed production I can't see how that applies to consumption. It also has to be realised that things like the 501st are an enormous benefit to Lucasfilm/Disney. It's not like they've got thousands of paid employees on standby to dress up in movie quality costumes and give their product free advertising. They've got some neck... in my opinion.

I can't see how Disney can possibly hope to dictate the behaviour of a private citizen playing at dressing up. Organisers may be able to impose conditions of entry to private premises but this policy request only has teeth if people bow to it. People forget that whilst there is a grey area when it comes to unlicensed production I can't see how that applies to consumption. It also has to be realised that things like the 501st are an enormous benefit to Lucasfilm/Disney. It's not like they've got thousands of paid employees on standby to dress up in movie quality costumes and give their product free advertising. They've got some neck... in my opinion.

I disagree. Disney/LFL can do what they want with the brand because they own it. They even have trademarked the name 501st, so the legion doesn't even own that. Just about the only thing people cannot do is make money off the sale of star wars merchandise (making armor anyone) which LFL has tactfully allowed in low key quantities until now so groups like the 501st could continue to survive. This ban was poorly worded to the groups it was sent to and smacked of a control freak company trying to control its brand with an iron fist. What I actually suspect occurred was an attempt by Disney/LFL to try and make sure the upcoming Star Wars release and Xmas shopping season went off without a hitch. The former "handlers" in LFL of Star Wars fan clubs left/got promoted just a short time ago...and there is a new team in place that are still learning the ropes as to the value of what the 501st, Rebel Legion, Mando Mercs, and other Star Wars fan groups bring to the equation. The new team is feeling out the fan clubs and what they can/can't do.

This isn't the first time the banning of weapons occurred within the 501st, and it probably won't be the last time sadly either.

To intwenother & crumdum: The only thing I got is that Disney has better lawyers. No, they really can't police everyone all the time. But cherrypick a few instances and prosecute to the fullest, and you get mass compliance. Usually.

Not saying I like any of this, because I don't. My particular costume is more recognizable with her rifle & pistol.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back