Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Dec 18, 2011, 8:06 PM - im new here budget is allowance scrathc build help? #1

Ive been here since about haloween, when I saw WOFs templates, which are awsome. I made a really lame set of armor out of cardboard that I scraped the day after haloween because I couldnt move with it on, as it was taped to a shirt and the helmet was on my bike helmet which i needed. My friend and i have decieded to try and find a MAY 4th convention, or at least make cool costumes. im going for a second try, but my budget is ten bucks a week if I work my but off. I want to go for a scratch build. any suggestions on what to make the armor out of? I still have the templates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC180202.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	57661
    My first go at anything permanent, a WIP westar pistol out of wood.It was real quick, just print a piccture and trace it. I forgot the contours on the sides though.
    Last edited by mercury19; Dec 18, 2011 at 8:16 PM. Reason: felt I needed a picture
  2. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Dec 19, 2011, 11:44 AM - Re: im new here budget is allowance scrathc build help? #2

Dec 19, 2011, 12:11 PM - Re: im new here budget is allowance scrathc build help? #3

I recently finished a scratch build helmet using 5 gallon buckets and a hard hat. Although I have access to fiberglass and epoxy at work. Lowes sells 5 gallon buckets for about $3 each. You might be able to find some restaurants throwing them away. I know when I worked in a restaurant we would throw away a large stack of 5 gallon buckets every week or so. If you ask a manager at one, he might give you a couple. Those materials might give you a start while you save up some money for materials you will have to buy.
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Dec 19, 2011, 5:41 PM - Re: im new here budget is allowance scrathc build help? #4

I'm pretty sure that I have a couple of five gallon buckets, and I saw a thread where someone said that batting helmets were cheap. My three biggest concerns are the shaping/connecting the materials, the helmet, and the gauntles. I only managed to figure out one of them before, with lots of details omited. I could get cloth materials easitly, and the holiday season is coming up, so I might get some money then too.

P.S. would it be better to attempt to make or just buy any weapons? i could deffinetly save up the money.
    Last edited by mercury19; Dec 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM.