As posted over at the RPF, I decided to put together six SW costumes in three weeks with virtually no budget for an annual Quiz Night. I was determined not to spend anything, only scratch building from what I had around the house and doing some prop trades for the more difficult/time-consuming pieces.
So, I had the helmet, a Mystery Helmet being finished by marsattack for me:
I thought to myself... "I've got the helmet, how hard can it be to put together the rest". I joined the Dented Helmet and began studying.
I started working out this outfit inside-to-out, from top to bottom. So first, the jumpsuit... I found this great set of overalls at one of my favorite second hand shops for about $8:
I unpicked the reflective bands and extra pockets (I left the thigh pocket just incase I didn't have time to add accurate ones). The result was this:
The next thing I thought I could do was the leather pouch belt. I had plenty of spare brown leather sitting around and I decided I wanted to make the pouches functional. So, first I made a bunch of cardboard boxes:
Then I began covering them in leather. To save time, I made a template, and simply glued-and-stapled the pieces to the side of the boxes:
Then I cut long leather pieces, added the white stitching and sewed velcro pieces to them. Again, I glued-and-stapled these to my cardboard boxes:
I slid these onto my quickly-made leather "belt" (which was just another long strip of leather with the white stitching added). The end result:
I found a cheap 80s style light grey windbreaker at another shop for about $3:
I put it on backwards, trimmed the neck, cut off the sleeves and added stitching to the new short sleeves:
There was some extra decorative stitching on this jacket. Instead of worrying about unpicking it all, I just lined up the stitching on the sleeve to make it look like it was meant to be there. Inaccurate, but I think it fits well enough:
More to come...