Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 17, 2012, 11:40 AM - RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #1

IMPORTANT 15-05-2012
    -----------------------------
    After I bought the Panorama 25X30mm Hand Telescope (posted at #26 - quick jump ==> RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! - Post #26) I realised that this (or similar) was not used as the 4th shin tool, but at least we have some good measurements of the tool and the telescope(s).
    -----------------------------

After I reinvented the wheel, and I'm talking about the Letraset font, which was a known fact but was never posted (read more here ==> Letraset Dry Transfer Font: Folio Bold Condensed) I thought to try my luck again. All this started after I was staring on the Supertrooper images...

We know that the 4th shin tool, as represented in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary, is not the real shin tool, more exactly 2 from the 4 shin tools are not real, but reimagined tools (the jetpack adjustment tool and the sonic beam weapon). There was a rumour (stated by Wes and posted by Art here ==> 4th Shin Tool (Jetpack Adjustment Tool) Almost Found) that the 4th shin tools is part of a Shure microphone, more exactly the microphone's casing. Although this direction had a promising start, it leaded to a dead end because of the endless possibilities.

In the past (in September 2011) I did some research based on the Supertrooper dressing sheet, where at the shin tools they mentioned the scalpal holder, which might be a knife handle or a cylindrical container to store the scalpal knifes. I said to myself that this might be a good research for the part of the any-security blade or for the jetpack adjustment tool, but the results were poor and I dropped the search on these.

At the beginning of this year (2012) I did some measurements of the real shin tool (from the Supertrooper, the Pre-Pro #1 and Pre-Pro #2 images) and I got this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0144.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	60397

The outer diameter of the casing is 30mm and the inner is 20mm. Initially I did the tube's lenght to 90 mm, but then I increased it to 130mm (with approximation) due to the different positions of the tool in the images mentioned earlier.

We know that the Supertrooper, the Pre-Pro and the Promo suits had the Sling Gun made from a Kaiser camera grip, a Tasco telescope, 2 turnings, a button and the rest was scratch built. The Tasco 15 x 30mm telescope is a found item (identified by Rogue Studios ?) and is a good match for the Pre-Pro #2 and the Promo sling guns, but BGHunter (Jinto or James) found another telescope made in Japan which is a better candidate for the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 sling gun (James' thread is here ==> BGHunter's New Found Part). Thanks to James' images, I had a good measurement of the telescope, and after I compared it to WOF's sling gun and shin tools templates, and also with Seven's shin tools templates, I got these measurements:

Name:	Telescope Measurement.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	60399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shin Tools Original Measurements.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	473.8 KB 
ID:	60398 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba Fetts Sling Gun Measurement.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	60400 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShinTools01_page001.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	60401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4th Shin Tool.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	60402

And here are some images of the shin tools:

Name:	PP1 Shin Tools.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	60403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 Shin Tools.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	60405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 Shin Tools 2.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	60404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Shin Tools.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	60406

Altough the lenght seems to change from image to image, I'm 100% shure that this part (the telescope casing) was used as the 4th shin tool.

The funny thing is that this was so obvious, but nobody noticed it (including me)... Until now!

(I hope that those whose images I used it won't be a problem. If there is a problem with one or more images, just let me know and I will delete it from this thread)

--------------------------------------------
    Update 18-04-2012
    Today I did more search on the internet for a Tasco or any similar telescope and I was lucky! I found a Tasco catalogue that shows the telescope similar to the Pre-Pro#2 sling gun barrel:

Name:	Tasco Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	60426

And this is the same Tasco Hand Telescope 15x30mm (found on e-bay):

Name:	Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 02.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	60424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 01.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	60423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 03.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	60425

I also found two more similar telescopes (in the 30mm range) and strangely all these telescopes (including the Tasco and the King telescopes) are made in Japan.

This is the Orbit Hand Telescope 15x30mm:

Name:	Orbit 15x30mm Telescope.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	60427

And this one is the Panorama Hand Telescope 30x30mm:

Name:	Panorama 30x30mm Telescope.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	60428

This is a comparison image between the Tasco and the King telescopes and also with the Pre-Pro sling guns:

Name:	Telescope Compare.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	60431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP1 Sling Gun And Telescope.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	694.6 KB 
ID:	60429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 Sling Gun And Telescope.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	505.2 KB 
ID:	60430

Update 19-04-2012
    Yesterday I found another telescope which is a good candidate and has the accurate ring between the black plastic pieces, but the main problem is that this telescope is shorter in lenght than the King or the Tasco:

Name:	Panorama 25x30mm Telescope 02.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	60464 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panorama 25x30mm Telescope 01.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	60463

The telescope is a Panorama Hand Telescope 25x30mm and this image is a quick comparison between the Tasco and King telescopes:

Name:	Telescope Comparison.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	60465

I think a longer version would be a great find.

Update 26-04-2012
    Made some modifications and a new comparison image of the telescopes as the best candidates for the Pre-Pro sling gun barrel and 4th shin tool:

Name:	Telescope Comparisons.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	60642

Another good find was this telescope:

Name:	Scout 30x30 Telescope 02.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	60653 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scout 30x30 Telescope 03.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	60654

It's a Carl Wetzlar "SCOUT" Hand Telescope 30X30mm.

Looking at the Pre-Pro #2 images I noticed that the 4th shin tool has both ends visible, but the major difference is the casing's thickness. While the measurements I posted with the 30mm outer with a 20mm inner diameter is correct, the other end looks like a 30mm outer and 23mm inner diameter. The difference is not big but is visible with the naked eye. The Supertrooper and Pre-Pro #3 images shows the second measurement while the Pre-Pro #1 shows the first one with that red button-like addition (I will explore this a bit later). As I mentioned earlier, the Pre-Pro #2 shows both ends.

I did a rough template of the shin tool and in lack of reference images I did the inner part segmented:

Name:	4th Shin Tool Template.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	60643

Then I took some images and I did a comparison of my template with the 4th shin tool of the Pre-Pro suits and the result is this:

Name:	ST 4th Shin Tool.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	60644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP1 4th Shin Tool.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	60646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 4th Shin Tool 02.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	60648 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 4th Shin Tool 03.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	60649 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP2 4th Shin Tool 01.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	60647 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP3 4th Shin Tool.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	60645

In this thread ==> Jet Pack Adjustment Knob MandaloreFett shows his Graflex tube which is the same tube used on the Supertrooper automatic blaster.

Name:	Graflex Tube ST.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	60651

On another thread ==> 4th Shin Tool (Jetpack Adjustment Tool) Almost Found (this link was already posted in the beginning of this thread) we can read:
    Quote Art Andrews said: View Post
    As a side note, in some photos, there appears to be something red, almost like the button on a Graflex in the center. I have set a graflex button in my mic and it just doesn't quite look right, so I am not sure that is what it is... but the red piece only appears to show up in some photos.
    The red button's diameter is different on some graflex versions; the version used on Luke's ANH and ESB lightsabers is smaller than the one used on the Supertrooper automatic blaster:

Name:	Graflex Versions.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	60650

Using images made to the proper scale we got this:

Name:	PP1 4th Shin Tool Parts.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	60652

While I can't say for sure if this part was used, but it looks close to me.

Update 11-02-2013
    The info presented below is to eliminate some of the believes that were floating around for some time at TDH and to shed some light on them.

I did some digging regarding the possibility that the 4th shin tool's origin being a scalpel holder (or container) and found some great images of a WW2 era metal container:

Name:	Scalpel Metal Container 03.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	67159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scalpel Metal Container 01.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	67160 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scalpel Metal Container 02.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	67161

Although the outer diameter and the length is pretty much correct, the only real problem is the 1mm casing thickness and probably the fact that these were rare, museum pieces.

My guess on this is that the scalpel handle was in fact a hobby knife and it was used on the so called Anti-Security Blade (as many suggested in the past), and I say this with much confidence, because the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 suit was a one of a kind suit and suffered some changes from the Supertrooper to Pre-Pro #1 transformation and also some Pre-Pro #1 improvements through its short time. One of these improvements was the replacement of the Supertrooper/Early Pre-Pro #1 Anti-Security Blade to a second version Anti-Security Blade, the one that was used on the rest of the suits (except the ROTJ Hero, which uses the original, painted knife):

The first (original) version is much longer and the hobby knife handles are shorter with 5-6mm than its Mitchells 'brothers'. The Pre-Pro #1 v.1 Blade is visible only in the suit assembly image and is painted white, a heritage of the Supertrooper suit:

Name:	Sup-PP1 Early Knife.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	67162 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-Assembly-01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	605.7 KB 
ID:	67164

Later we see the same knife painted in ROTJ:

Name:	ROTJ Knife.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	67165

The second version already has the well known setup:

Name:	PP1 Final Knife.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	67163 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AS Blade.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	67170

The other hunch was that they used a microphone's handle (or casing) for the 4th shin tool, so I did some searching for microphones with a 30mm diameter handle and my luck was that I found some in that range:

This is the Neumann SM69 microphone:

Name:	Neumann SM69 Microphone 01.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	67166 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neumann SM69 Microphone 02.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	67167

Manual:
    sm69.pdf

And here is (are) the Telefunken SM2 or Neumann SM2 microphone(s) (the same setup under 2 brands):

Name:	Telefunken (Neumann) SM2 Microphone.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	67168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neumann And Telefunken SM2 Microphones.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	67169

Manual:
    1_Neumann_SM23.PDF

As with the scalpel container, in this case too the thickness (around 1mm) is not the correct one, so the hunt goes on.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 AM. Reason: Added more info.
  2. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Apr 17, 2012, 12:00 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #2

Awesome research work Rafal! I hope some new pictures to be released in the future will show the shin tool!
    Apr 17, 2012, 12:01 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #3

Good work. Now some one needs to copy and sell these to the rest of us
    Apr 17, 2012, 12:01 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #4

Great work Rafa.

I own a real telescope too, and the wall is not as thick then the one shown on the pocket. We thought that was it before too.
    Apr 17, 2012, 12:09 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #5

Quote KaanE said: View Post
    Awesome research work Rafal! I hope some new pictures to be released in the future will show the shin tool!
    Thanks! I hope too!

Quote sausagemahoney said: View Post
    Good work. Now some one needs to copy and sell these to the rest of us
    Thanks!

Quote SEEKER said: View Post
    Great work Rafa.

I own a real telescope too, and the wall is not as thick then the one shown on the pocket. We thought that was it before too.
    Thanks! Maybe James (BGHunter) will help us about the inner part of the telescope and especially about the casing's thickness. I assumed that the thickness is given by the inner tube.
    Apr 17, 2012, 12:39 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #6

Fantastic work Rafal, as usual...
    Apr 17, 2012, 1:12 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #7

These posts are consistently better researched than my college papers. You're an asset to the community Rafal.
    Apr 17, 2012, 2:49 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #8

What can i say , Raf 'you am de man!' solid work matey you're an asset !
    Apr 17, 2012, 4:20 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #9

Very cool!

Hopefully others can contribute measurements etc with the real part for even more solid proof.

Exciting times ahead!
    Apr 17, 2012, 4:39 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #10

Great research there Raf!!
    Maybe as Kaane suggests that better ref will become available to confirm this.
  11. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Apr 17, 2012, 6:59 PM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #11

Nice idea,I took a few pics of the 2 next 2 each other for some reason they didnt load, how ever these did, , its note worthy to add there is also a shorter version of the scope that wasnt used in the blaster, , though as Seeker pointed out the rim seems some what thiner material,
    How ever there is slight a chance the shorter one may have a thicker end piece,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3578.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	60412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3579.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	60413
    Apr 18, 2012, 1:59 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #12

Quote StrumFett said: View Post
    Fantastic work Rafal, as usual...
    Thanks!

Quote apolifka said: View Post
    These posts are consistently better researched than my college papers. You're an asset to the community Rafal.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote jakefox24 said: View Post
    What can i say , Raf 'you am de man!' solid work matey you're an asset !
    Thanks!

Quote locitus said: View Post
    Very cool!

Hopefully others can contribute measurements etc with the real part for even more solid proof.

Exciting times ahead!
    Thank you! If you look at this image posted by BGHunter (taken from his thread) you see that the telescope is on a work pad with grid lines, where each square is equal with 1cm (or 10mm) so it's easy to get a good measurement of the telescope and the Kaiser grip.

Name:	DSC04624.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	60420

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Great research there Raf!!
    Maybe as Kaane suggests that better ref will become available to confirm this.
    Thanks! It is possible that this 4th shin tool to be in the archives but wasn't identified yet. I already noticed the presence of a Kaiser grip in the archives, but sadly the rest of the sling gun (if this is the case) is not visible.

Quote BGHunter said: View Post
    Nice idea,I took a few pics of the 2 next 2 each other for some reason they didnt load, how ever these did, , its note worthy to add there is also a shorter version of the scope that wasnt used in the blaster, , though as Seeker pointed out the rim seems some what thiner material,
    How ever there is slight a chance the shorter one may have a thicker end piece,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3578.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	60412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3579.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	60413
    Thanks a lot for those images! James, could you post some images with the telescope's casing from different angles, especially the end with the lens but without that cap? I have a hunch but I want some proof to be shure.

Name:	Dsc04621-1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	60421

It is possible (altough I searched the internet but with no direct results) that there are some variations of the Tasco 15X30 Hand Telescope or the King 10-25x30 Japan Zoom Telescope? But looking to the Supertrooper and Pre-Pro #1 images is hard to believe that the Sling Gun's barrel is not the same with the 4th shin tool.
  13. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Apr 18, 2012, 2:12 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #13

Ill take those pics no worries,
    Oh the PP blaster isdefinantly the size of the sc ope I have, how ever in my surch Ive come arcoss shorter ones, Im pretty sure KurtyBoy owns one or 2 of the shorter scopes,
    he may add his thoughts if he sees this
    Apr 18, 2012, 2:39 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #14

Ill take those pics no worries,
    Oh the PP blaster isdefinantly the size of the sc ope I have, how ever in my surch Ive come arcoss shorter ones, Im pretty sure KurtyBoy owns one or 2 of the shorter scopes,
    he may add his thoughts if he sees this
    Thanks! I can't wait to see those images.
  15. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Apr 18, 2012, 4:54 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #15

Sorry mate for some reason i cant up load pics again?
    Apr 18, 2012, 4:56 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #16

Sorry mate for some reason i cant up load pics again?
    It worked well for me. Try to upload the images in advanced mode using the manage attachments function. If you already did this and didn't worked, then send the images to my e-mail address. Pm on the way.

---------------

I forgot that you already have my e-mail address.
  17. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Apr 18, 2012, 5:09 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #17

Using a diffrent computer , Lost my old email address so I dont have your email,
    Apr 18, 2012, 5:39 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #18

PM sent.
    Apr 18, 2012, 11:10 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #19

The end of the first post was updated with more telescopes and comparison images.
    Apr 19, 2012, 3:26 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back: The 4th Shin Tool Found! #20

Just added another telescope to the end of the first post. Keep looking!
    Apr 20, 2012, 7:25 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #21

Incredible research work which surpasses all which was able to be previously made. You are a master in this domain Rafal!
    Apr 20, 2012, 8:11 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #22

Quote StrumFett said: View Post
    Incredible research work which surpasses all which was able to be previously made. You are a master in this domain Rafal!
    Thanks a lot!
  23. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Apr 20, 2012, 8:32 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #23

Sorry mate ill get those pics to you tomorrow
    Apr 20, 2012, 8:42 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #24

Sorry mate ill get those pics to you tomorrow
    Thanks, James! Can't wait!
    Apr 26, 2012, 5:40 AM - Re: RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! #25

The end of the first post was updated with more info and some comparison images.