Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Rafal Works Armor (RWA) Templates.

From
    Galati, Romania

The Rafal Works Armor (RWA) Templates.

I had these files in work for quite a while (maybe a year or so) and even now these aren't finished 100%, but I wanted to post them, mostly because of the modified armor stencils (I already posted some) that are using these templates as a base. The parts that needs more work are the cod plate, the knees and the back plate, but the base is there if someone will try to scratch build one of these.

These templates try to replicate the original armor both in form and in asymmetries and are pretty close to WOF's large armor templates (which was conceived as a symmetrical armor to fulfill the need of the majority).

Update 03-11-2013
    ------------------------------------------
    The majority of the armor parts (except the back plate and the knees) were reduced in size by 5%, and now the templates are in the medium category. I managed to do a parts break down for the cod plate and the knees and now you can use the RWA templates to do your own scratch build armor. All the files were replaced with the modified templates.
    ------------------------------------------

The chest, abdominal and collar plates were done using the Heilman images as a base, while the rest of the armor parts were done using all the available images from the exhibits and the movie stills.

armor-plates-jpg back-plate-armor-template-jpg my-cod-piece-jpg cod-front-02-jpg my-back-belt-jpg right-knee-jpg left-knee-jpg

And here are the templates resulted from those images:

Chest, Abdominal and Collar Plates with Center Diamond and Shoulder Bells
    armor-template-jpg

Back Plate
    back-armor-template-jpg

Cod Plate
    cod-template-jpg

Back belt
    belt-template-jpg

Knee Pads
    knee-templates-jpg

And finally, the PDF files that contains all the armor templates:

RWA Templates A4.pdf
    RWA Templates LTR.pdf

Here is an image that shows the approximated points for the original attachment method:
    armor-attachment-points-vest-jpg

Have fun!
    Last edited by RafalFett; Nov 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated all files.

From
    Galati, Romania

Re: The Rafal Works Armor (RWA) Templates.

Just realized that I posted in the wrong forum! Mods please move this thread in the 'Boba Fett Armor' forum.

Update
    ------------------------
    Thanks for the thread move, Scott!
    Last edited by RafalFett; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Thread moved to the correct forum.

From
    Chicago, IL

You my friend are a Freakin God!!

This makes wanna build my own Boba armor.

Thank you!

From
    Galati, Romania

SEEKER said: View Post
    You my friend are a Freakin God!!

This makes wanna build my own Boba armor.

Thank you!
    Thanks for the kind words!

It is never too late to start another scratch build armor...
    Last edited by RafalFett; Sep 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Corrected misspell.

From
    Pennsylvania

And you Raf need to paint a helmet. I have an Asok lid that needs done hint hint lol.

From
    Albuquerque

This is great stuff as always Rafa. You, sir, are quite an asset to this community. Thanks for your hard work on all this

Awsome work as always Raf,
    One thing I thought Id mention , now keep in mind I may be wrong how ever from what info I can find, the collar armor to the back armor inst joined through corresponding holes in the back plate like it is in the collar armor , but there is a wire rig set up,

As seen in this picboba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-077-png

As I said there may be other info ive not seen but as u seem to be going as accurate as possible itd be cool to work out how this system works,

From
    Galati, Romania

Jc27 said: View Post
    And you Raf need to paint a helmet. I have an Asok lid that needs done hint hint lol.
    Thanks, but won't happen in the near future, because I don't want to ruin your helmet.

redkraytdragon said: View Post
    This is great stuff as always Rafa. You, sir, are quite an asset to this community. Thanks for your hard work on all this
    Thanks a lot, Will! How's going your new armor sculpt?

Prepro2 said: View Post
    Awsome work as always Raf,
    One thing I thought Id mention , now keep in mind I may be wrong how ever from what info I can find, the collar armor to the back armor inst joined through corresponding holes in the back plate like it is in the collar armor , but there is a wire rig set up,

As seen in this picboba-fett-costume-returnof-jedi-hd-077-png

As I said there may be other info ive not seen but as u seem to be going as accurate as possible itd be cool to work out how this system works,
    I know that setup which is actually one of the ROTJ stunt plates. If you look closer, in the next scene he already have the Hero setup (more or less):

rotj-hero-stunt-plates-jpg

And the same stunt armor in another scene:

rotj-stunt-plates-jpg

I assume that the stunt setup (with the metal hook) was used this way because of the high risk stunt scenes and they needed an easy to open system for the collar and back plate. The exibit images don't show that metal hook setup:

right-collar-attachment-jpg left-collar-attachment-jpg

And here is how I see the attachment method:

shoulder-stud-attachment-jpg

RafalFett:

Your templates look great Do you have version that will print out the corrects size?

From
    Galati, Romania

SPY007 said: View Post
    RafalFett:

Your templates look great Do you have version that will print out the corrects size?
    What do you mean by 'correct size'? These templates are (or should be) the same size with the original, so if you print out the chosen file (A4 or LTR) with the 'fit to page' option, you should have a 1:1 armor template. Or you need multiple sizes (as Alan did) to fit each body type (ex: kid, small, medium, large or extra large)? I don't have plans to do this, but who knows...

From
    Pennsylvania

I am sure you would do a much better job than me. My artistic ability maxed out at first grade finger painting. I don't have a painter for my lid now so if you decide you want to try I am up for it.
    Where in Romania are you, I've been to Constanta a few times, are you close to there?

From
    Galati, Romania

I am sure you would do a much better job than me. My artistic ability maxed out at first grade finger painting. I don't have a painter for my lid now so if you decide you want to try I am up for it.
    Thanks, but I'm not confident that I will do a great job, this is why I never painted my own scratch build helmets (except the first, and that was pretty ugly).

Where in Romania are you, I've been to Constanta a few times, are you close to there?
    Pretty close to the Black Sea and Constanta (which is the biggest port in our country).

Rafal Fett:

I printed out your plans. There are differences between yours and WOF's, but I know your helmet templates are more accurate than WOF's, so I don't question your armor templates. I am curious if you have you had a chance to compare them to any Fett Pride Armor? IMO his stuff, next to your's of course, is the best.

SPY007

From
    Galati, Romania

Rafal Fett:

I printed out your plans. There are differences between yours and WOF's, but I know your helmet templates are more accurate than WOF's, so I don't question your armor templates. I am curious if you have you had a chance to compare them to any Fett Pride Armor? IMO his stuff, next to your's of course, is the best.

SPY007
    My templates are close in overall size to WOF's large armor templates, but I did my templates with the rounded edges, while WOF did his armors with sharp edges to allow tweaking and customizing (like Jango and/or custom Mando). Sadly I don't own/have fettpride armor, so I can't do any comparison between my templates and the fettpride armor. The only real problem with the templates is that most of the original armor plates are convex in form (like a plate) and this particularity is hard to translate in 2D armor. But with a little ingenuity nothing is impossible...

From
    Albuquerque

These pics are fantastic Raf. These are definitely gonna come in handy. I'll be hitting up you and a few others on here for advice when I get ready to do my V3 set...not till late next year though.

Rafal Fett:

In the past, I have made shoulder bells by heating ABS or flat PVC bell cutouts and shaping them over a 2 qt, five inch diameter round drink pitcher. Any thoughts on this? Is the bell a simple arc when shaped? Or is it more complex as well?

SPY007

From
    Galati, Romania

These pics are fantastic Raf. These are definitely gonna come in handy. I'll be hitting up you and a few others on here for advice when I get ready to do my V3 set...not till late next year though.
    Thanks! Can't wait to see the new sculpt!

Rafal Fett:

In the past, I have made shoulder bells by heating ABS or flat PVC bell cutouts and shaping them over a 2 qt, five inch diameter round drink pitcher. Any thoughts on this? Is the bell a simple arc when shaped? Or is it more complex as well?

SPY007
    It looks like a simple arc with a more flat upper part (the knee has kind of the same arc form):

shoulder-bell-arc-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

I managed to finish (finally!) the RWA templates, so all the files were replaced in the first post.

From
    Albuquerque

LIKE!!

From
    Galati, Romania

LIKE!!
    Thanks, Will!

I will post some images regarding the knee block (or dart housing) build to avoid the 'what should I do with these pieces?' type questions.

From
    Galati, Romania

Here are some images with the basic construction of the knee block with the pieces provided by the templates:
    basic-construction-jpg

As you can see in this image (sorry for the poor drawing) the back cover is above the back support's top edge with about 2mm, and the same goes for the front cover too; this setup will allow the top cover to fit between the front and back covers.

These images shows the front and back support pieces and the 3 inner support parts (from the left knee, as the other images are from the right knee), which are scratch build according to the space between the support pieces (I had a rectangular piece with a 20mm height and a 12mm width):
    photo0821-jpg photo0822-jpg photo0823-jpg photo0824-jpg

The back cover is already glued to the back cover and the base part:
    photo0804-jpg photo0806-jpg

Then we glue the front cover too to the front support piece and the base part:
    photo0813-jpg photo0814-jpg photo0816-jpg

And here is the finished dart block:
    photo0817-jpg photo0818-jpg photo0819-jpg

I promised to Will (RKD or redkraytdragon) that I will show him the finished knee... So here it is, Will:
    photo0807-jpg photo0808-jpg photo0809-jpg photo0810-jpg photo0811-jpg photo0812-jpg

Because this was made between modifications, the construction is not the correct one, but you'll get the idea.

Have fun!

From
    Albuquerque

Very nice work Rafal and thanks for sharing! It looks pretty much how I imagined it would. That's a great approach with the back and front covers being taller than the dart housing support edges, great idea.

From
    Galati, Romania

Very nice work Rafal and thanks for sharing! It looks pretty much how I imagined it would. That's a great approach with the back and front covers being taller than the dart housing support edges, great idea.
    Thanks, Will! I had hard times to figure out the best way to construct the dart housing, especially that this part does not have sharp edges, so an easy method was out of my plans, but I'm happy with the end result. My only concern now is the possibility to carve out the inner parts of the housing and adding the holes for the darts. I think I will leave this task (at the moment) to the builders...

From
    PR

From
    Maracay Venezuela

Amazing work Rafael!!!!!!!!!!!! is great to see people that likes to build and not always buy parts..................build is a experience without compare.............