Now the FUN begins......
This afternoon I made a trip over to our friendly neighborhood SPIDEYFETTS house to get some HELP on weathering JB's armor.
I must admit that yours truly has never done ESB armor...only ROTJ...and since OLD SPIDEYFETT has done some excellent ESB I felt the need to get his help.:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup
So to make a long story short I simply handed over the armor to Alex and watched him do his magic. The pics you see below really does not ever come close to showing off the GLORY of the weathering that was done. In person it is INCREDIBLE. For those of you that will be coming down to Dallas for the JB presentation you will get to see what I mean.
Spidey...thanks man..today was a educational experience for me in the ART of ESB armor!!!
Tomorrow the Masking comes off and we will take a look at our SILVER!!!
then on to the Yellow!!!
Last edited by DarthMiller; Jan 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM.
Great pictures bro...glad you learned a few things....
We're just movin right along with the Project...great work so far.
I was wondering if it would be any trouble posting the colours used to paint? I am doing an ESB suit afterall
I'm in the same boat (ESB)... also would you be able to post those awesome ref. pics...mine don't look that good, and i have brak's ref CD v.1
thanks for posting all those progress pictures. seeing the green now, i know for sure mine turned out to dark, tried mixing my own green, but there are just not enough good reference pics out there.
and the Masking fluid comes off!!!!!
I will post the colors Alex and I used later today
Awesome, keep the progress pics coming!
Great work DM... lovin the detials... :thumbup
I'm very keen to see what colours you used to mist/weather?
Looking real good there guys!!!!
The base color was US medium green
then we used a super secret Spideyfett mix....Alex can you do the honors and post these
This will be listed in the correct stages in which me and DM painted the armor:
After applying the base Silver, "Kylon Metallic Silver" to be exact, and masked the scratches....
1.THE BASE COAT: US.MEDIUM GREEN (PollyScale acrylic)
Yes, the same color that is used for the ROTJ or SE version of the armor.
Reason I choose this color as the base was because allot of people tend to think there's just one "magic" color applied and then from there you go straight to weathering, when really there's a ton of Misting involved...which ends up changing the over all color hue completely. And US Medium Green has a good base hue.
2. Next color applied: To create the dark greenish gray tones, I MISTED DUNKELGRUN RLM 82 (Model Master enamel), I think this is what Jango's Kid and a few others recommend:thumbup..GREAT COLOR....but I've seen this used as a Base color, IMO that is not correct... I use it to create tones only.
3. Third color applied: To create the highlights in the armor, misted.......here it comes..........................PANZER OLIVE GREEN (Polly Scale acrylic), same color used on the helmet. Sometimes I use this color and mix a touch of Cobalt Blue to add that teal tone....cough cough, hint hint....
4. Forth color applied: to create the deeper/ darker tones, I mist GRIMY BLACK (Polly Scale acrylic)....looks dark gray....and I normally mist this over the same areas that I misted the Dunkelgrun Rlm 82...
5. Final color : This is just an accent color, a very lightly misted WASH in certain areas.. FRENCH EARTH BROWN (Polly Scale acrylic)......
6. Yellow scratches that will be added: Yellow Zinc Chromite
7. Chest Diamond: Yes it is a DIFFERENT color than the armor on ESB.... I used CNW GREEN (Polly Scale)
Again addtional weathering is needed once everything is applied....that's where the fun begins..... and just a tip, use extra fine steal wool to help blend once all the colors are applied AND DRIED!! ...not to much though, you don't want to take off all the work you just did...**and do this prior to adding the Yellow Zinc Chromite scratches.
and most important, and the best advise someone gave me once was..."PAINT WHAT YOU SEE ON THE REF PICS"...
Here's a quick pic I put together to illustrate some of the applications.
EDIT : DUNKELGRUN 82
Last edited by Spideyfett; Jan 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM.
Spidey...you gave away all of your secrets!!!
folks..I watched Spidey do all this in person...let me tell you it was awesome to see. follow the steps above and the colors he listed and you will have one super kick butt ESB paintjob!!
I will be working on all of the yellow this week and should have it done by this weekend!!
Heres a contrast color change I did in Photoshop, to give you an Idea of all the tones involved...this should also help with the placement of color aswell.
Last edited by Spideyfett; Jan 29, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Stunning weathering details... 8)
Thanks a huge bunch for the tips too Alex.... did you manage to work your Sig into the misting?
Beautiful top-notch paint work, Spideyfett. Thanks for the tutorial as well
That's looking excellent Jason.
Last edited by Man of War Studios; Nov 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM.
and here comes the yellow
Last edited by DarthMiller; Jan 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
It's silver! It's green! It's yellow!
It's. . . armor!!!