SE Fett and Costume Contest (pic intensive)

LostSonOfSparda

Active Hunter
Hey guys and gals,

Thanks for all the wonderful help I've gotten so far from you all. I am close! Halloween is drawing near, so it's crunchtime! To make my deadline shorter, my girlfriend (unbeknownst to me at the time) bought a ticket for and entered me into a costume contest.

The contest is at Dixie's Tavern in Charlotte, NC on the 25th. The party is called the GraveDigger's Ball, and it's hosted by Katy Perry (of "I kissed a girl and I liked it" fame). Apparently it is going to be the biggest costume contest in Charlotte, with the first place winner to be award $1,500 CASH.
For info, see http://www.dixiescharlotte.com/ .

Now, I am thinking, that since I've got everything in now, just waiting on a few things to arrive that were promised by the 31st, I can definitely win this. IF I can get it all together in time. I've got a ton of work to do, but I think I can do it. If my costume looks decent, then that 1st place prize is as good as mine, assuming of course that the judges like and know their Star Wars characters.

I'm worried, however, that they will all vote for the skankiest dressed girl there:facepalm. Don't really know who is judging, or if it will be left up to the crowd. But I am sure to turn some heads at least.

Now on to the costume itself... Nothing special right now, only have a few pics so far.

Parts list/details:
Helmet = Sgt. Fang, painted by me.
RF stalk = BKBT
RF lights = mrgr8ness
RF = need to get another hollow one to fit the lights...
Vest/Flightsuit = LadySewforus, weathered by jawafive
Boots = CABoots
Girthbelt = picked it up second hand from escho
Ammo belt = CostumeBase
All armor and gauntlets = Ruffkintoy, fresh out of the box, will be painted by me.
Side pouches = Rimshot (his mother actually, but purchased through him)
Spats = I forget but I will check on it
Gloves = TK409's sis
Cape = His name was Mike, but i forget his username on here
Wookiee braids = some horsehair ones I bought secondhand from jawafive
Boot spikes = BobaMaker
Blaster = HotShot
Jet Pack = not going to worry about that for a while...

My original budget was $600 (I had no idea at the time) but I stopped keeping track when I doubled that. Haha, oh well.

Now for some pics. Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone. My digital camera is broken, and I couldn't borrow anyone else's.

My helmet it the early stages,
Freshly cut visor and green welding shield taped in
PICT1023.jpg

Just a little bit of paint on it (ignore the gauntlets in foreground, they are a different pair than the Ruffkin ones I just got)
PICT1117.jpg

Months later with more paint on.
helmet3.jpg

Really unhappy with the paint on the mandibles, not accurate at all, but it gets the point across.
helmet2.jpg

Closer view of front left side.
helmet1.jpg

Here it is today, last bit fresh on the back, going to peel the masking off tonight. Should look good. Debating on whether or not I will add the small grey spots yet. Won't take much work, but I'll see tonight when I take the masking off. All thats left to do on the lid is the ears. Then attach everything, RF, Stalk, and visor, and padding on the inside.
helmet4.jpg

Test fitting the vest the day I got it, a little small, but it's my fault for giving Debbi bad measurements
PICT1087.jpg

The armor laying on top of the vest for a little sizing up.
chestarmor.jpg

I'm too poor right now to get a bigger vest. Since the armor currently kinda hangs off over the armpits, I am thinking of trimming the edges down a bit to make everything fit. Still need to add dents.

And the rest of my armor and gauntlets.
gauntletsbackcod.gif

That's it for now.
Please comment on my paint job. I know the helmet does not look that great, and my paint skills are not doing Sgt Fang's helmet justice. While not BAD, it doesn't look half as good as some other people's. It IS my first paint up tho, and just so long as it gets the point across that, yeah I'm Boba Fett, that's all I care about right now.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome, Petey!!! looks really good! i see what you were saying yesterday about the armor and the vest...you are a little guy, arent ya!! hey, your voice makes up for it brother...:lol: nah, man, great job so far, looking awesome!! (y) i would like to say, the mandibles are ok, and i think what would really make them look better, eventually, is to really focus on the finer details and scratches...get a 000 or similar paint brush, and really finely tune the damage areas...but man, great job for first time...remember my Rubies***? ya, you'll be amazed at that second attempt with the painting...;)

Hahaha, thanks Darrell. I actually DID forget about your Rubies, and thought your Sgt Fang was the first paint up you did. Thanks for reminding me, now I don't feel half bad about my painting skills (or rather, the lack thereof:lol:).
I do need to add more red on the mandys. If I have time, I suppose...

Just got off the phone with a manager at Dixie's, and YES! they will allow me to bring my blaster. All I have to do is paint the tip of the barrel bright orange (Ew!:angry) so when they inspect it at the door they can deem it Okay.

My only suggestion would be that if you plan on going out to a bar for this costume contest, be sure to take a spotter with you. All you need is some drunk a** messing with you and your stuff! Just something to think about!

Only got a little bit done last night. Was hoping to get to the armor, but didn't have time.

First bit done on the ears
ears1.jpg

And the back of the helmet as it looks right now. Need to add the grey still. Also need to do some more grey and silver scratches on the back of the dome too, will do that tonight.
helmet7.jpg

Here it is from the sides.
helmet6.jpg

helmet5.jpg

Still really nothing special yet. I'm unhappy with the way the back turned out. My masking fluid is giving me problems. Doesn't really peel where it needs to, then other parts where there IS NOT fluid, some how manages to peel off.

A little bit of progress, is better than no progress.:)

hey, that is great, bud!! much, much better than my first attempt!! ;) i dont know why you are having issues with the masking fluid, though...what are you using to pull the mask off? looking really, really good...as i said before, alot of your detail is...well, kind of in large sections....ya with me? i mean, once you peel of the layer, go back and use a very small paint brush, 00 size, and really touch up those areas to define the damage more...coming along nicely, brother!!! wish i could go to that party with ya...that would be awesome!! :cheers

Not much to share, just working on the ears a little bit, as well as adding more silver and gray scratches to the dome.
ears.jpg

ears2.jpg

Will post pics of the back of the helmet once I take off the masking. Right now its covered in tape and newspaper.

Thanks Debbi, I appreciate it!:)

I trimmed some of the armor plates today, need to do a little bit more, so that they will all fit on my vest. I hate being a short Fett! Slight problem, this gets rid of the lip around the edge on the sides that i trim. Thus, reducing that raised look, and no depth. Don't know what I'm gonna do to solve that.

Finished painting the left ear. Not perfect, but I'm satisfied with it.
lefteat.jpg

I've got the ears stuck on with JBweld, sitting in clamps right now til I get home from work.
helmet8.jpg

Also working on putting hinges on the gauntlets. I've got them trimmed to where they should fit my spaghetti arms perfect with some foam padding on the inside of the shell. Once the hinges are stuck on, I will reinforce the insides of the gauntlets with fiberglass to strengthen them up. Thanks to FettDad for the tips on how to do so.

Also, once I've got the ears taken care of, I will attach the rangefinder with a bolt, and put the ear cover on with some rare earth magnets.

I should have my Fettronics light display by weeks end, so hopefully before then I will have the armor dented, then I can trim the slots to appropriate measurements, then start painting.

I'm still not making as good of progress as I'd like to; that deadline is beginning to become more and more daunting everytime I think about it.

I'm still not making as good of progress as I'd like to; that deadline is beginning to become more and more daunting everytime I think about it.

Keep pluging away...

Here is a pic of my ESB suit 2 weeks prior to the Manitoba Comic Con here in my city, and Jeremy was going to there, so I had to still paint my friends helmet add padding(my FPH is on hold till Chris and Pam gets better(y)),
Paint my Jet Pack add hooks and lighting, make the vest, Sidearm, scratch build the RF top,paint the knees, make shin tools, scratch build the right ear cap, add snaps, details/greebs and weather. all this WITHOUT a test fitting before the Con.

n690192183_1808193_4113.jpg

and finished product (just to get you inspired!!)
and I still have to add the small markings in the RF caps and rocket pack...doh!

n690192183_1893438_5047.jpg

If I can do all that and have a full time job, survive the wrath of my wife..lol.
YOU CAN DO IT.
just breath and relax once in a while! its all good.
keep up the great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, talk about beast-moding it! Yours turned out great! You must work well under pressure.
I'm doing a semi-rush job, but still trying not to cut corners and have it come out shoddy looking. I'm working as fast and as hard as I can, so I hope mine turns out at least HALF as good as yours.
The way it's looking right now, I might not have a test fitting until the day of, or right before the competition.
Thanks, Sixxgunn, you're an inspiration.

good job Petey!! keep it up man!! that prize money will awesome to put back into the costume!! very excited to the finished product!! (y)

Lol...thx,
Do what you can BUT don't stress your self over small details... My wife taught me that cause you can always finish those after the event.

99% of the time ppl dont know what is right or wrong on the suit, so get all the main parts done.. and as a whole ppl will be in awe, just to quote some dude who stood in the middle of the con and blurted out... "Coolness of the Fett."

Haha, thanks guys.
I'm gonna worry about making the helmet more accurate later, much later.
I won't worry about making the gauntlets perfect either, just so long as they are functional, and look decent.
I'm gonna take my time on the painting of the armor and gauntlets, but won't worry about making it 100% accurate. I highly doubt anybody there will have a trained eye like we do, so nobody will be able to tell a difference.

Getting the point across, thats my main goal.

And I'm really betting on the RF lights, and chest display to make me stand out, and give me an extra edge over the competition.

I just hope seeing out of the green visor won't be too hard in a club. It'll be like wearing sunglasses at night.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back