Showing some Courtesy

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
So i got a message this morning from someone waiting on a helmet cast/paintup from me. He seems to be upset that i just showed this jetpack to offer and he doesnt have his helmet yet. he said [partial quote] "... i must admit I'm regretting this situation. I understand 'life stuff' but dude a little courtesy to those who in good faith have layed down their dollars and have shown a consideration for your needs, and wait patiently then bam new project thread..I feel like a sucker "

So i though perhaps some members here felt the same way but didnt want to say anything, so here is my semi-edited reply, without personalization or anything that was specific to his questions/situation.

If your waiting on ANYTHING from me, you should realize your project is not the only thing im doing. I have been working on the jetpack on the weekends since March while i work on commissions all week. (i could have done this jetpack in around 2-3 months, give or take a little bit, had i not been doing other commissions/anything else) I am not putting aside ANY commissions to do anything else, and am almost insulted anyone would think i would do that. Also as some of you may have seen, when its humid here the masking fluid causes issues with painting, so when i have super humid days i dont/cant paint. When i cant paint, i work on other stuff. This time of year we get alot of humid days. As a matter of a fact, this week is rain all week with humidity well above 70%. So, all week i cant paint. Im not running the risk. I also will occasionally run out of a paint color and have to order more which will take a few days to arrive. There are lots of factors involved here as to why something doesn't get done on an exact schedule.

As far as courtesy, there is NO reason to hold off showing something i FINALLY was able to finish and make available. Like i said, i work on more than one thing at a time depending on weather which sometimes alters the schedule somewhat. Im not just going to rush or risk working on something in humid weather that can potentially come out bad and need to be redone. Its a waste of time and supplies. ...and then do nothing when there is something i could do in the crappy weather like bondo and sand and fabricate things.

Maybe this general outline of what i do just about every day will help everyone understand how things work here, in my "shop", which is basically a tarped off corner in my inlaws garage. This is pretty much every day here when i dont have a honey-do list. Because i am married and have a wife to attend to. this would be a typical day if i had these things to do, and the weather was good.....

Before bed, i stencil and mask helmets. In the morning i get up around 8-8:30 i have some coffee and answer e-mails/PMs, check facebook page etc...i get into the shop about 10am (i cant run the compressor before that ill wake up the neighborhood) i bring the helmets into the shop, and lay down a color. I bring the helmets back into the house to cure up. The paint needs to cure for a good 10hrs at least before removing the mask, so i will then do something else, like prime or put on a layer of color on another members set of armor etc. Then i put that aside to cure up and cast a helmet or jetpack. if im casting something, i put the gelcoat layer in and put it aside. Then i will say..cast something simple like some bikerscout pistols. , then move onto something else. then i will go back to the jetpack or helmet and fiberglass it. etc etc. I pretty much do this all day. then when im in from the shop that night, i go online and answer my e- mails/PMs again...maybe cut a few sets of stencils on my vinyl cutter at the same time...then i take a shower and then i sit at my kitchen table and remove the masking from the helmets, stencil and mask the next layer and go to bed. Then i do the same thing the next day. Also consider i have a small work-space so i have to rearrange the shop all day to do whatever it is im doing. Fiberglassing makes a mess and takes time to clean up. So switching from fiberglassing to painting for example, may take me 30 minutes. This is all on a good nice day. Weather, screw ups, honey-do's, scheduled troops, and you know, eating...all also factor in. Plus hey id like to have SOME time to myself once in a while. All these things factor into how fast something gets done. If you cant appreciate all of this that i do every day, i dont know what to tell you.

Again, like i said, i work on more than one thing at a time, and i do all my commissions at least 5 days a week, and work on fabrication and/or my personal stuff on the weekends generally speaking. Once i get close to completing some commissions i will finish them off on the weekends as long as weather permits. I am not a machine, and i cannot control the weather. There is no reason for anyone to feel like a sucker just because i posted something i finally got done.

I hope this puts some perspective on what i personally do every day and helps anyone waiting for something from me understand what i do every day and that im not sitting on the beach with a drink in my hand laughing at all the TDH suckers waiting on stuff from me lol.

So because i got this message first thing this morning, i had to reply to it and have not had my coffee yet and am obviously not in the shop and its already 11:37AM...see, you cant predict or control what happens every day. Anyway im going to have my coffee now and get into the shop and assemble some scout blasters and maybe cast some stuff because the humidity is too high to paint...and its really pushing it to cast as well, but i need to get something done!

Have a great day TDHers!

One thing I have seen lately is people who do not paint their own stuff not understanding the time and effort that goes into a paint job. The amount of built in dead time between coats and colors. The overall length of time it takes to do layers.

There is a reason the saying "it is like watching paint dry" is out there. It isn't very exciting or glamorous and it takes a long time.

I would encourage everyone in the community to at least paint one Boba Fett helmet trying to match up screen accurate damage. I think that would help people understand the process and lower the complaints overall. And we would all have a greater appreciation for the high detail work we see come out of some of the shops.

just my 2 cents and observations.......

Great to see you back Lou, hope everything is well. Pm me when you get a chance, I have a new toy to show you. Some people just can't get it through their head that working with props is NOT like walmart. Everything takes time. If you don't want to wait, then do it yourself or go buy a Rubies suit.

That sucks to hear, Lou. I always thought people had an understanding that patience is what's needed when building these costumes, especially for Boba Fett. Hoepfully, that guy did not have his coffee yet either and he calms down. Worst case scenario, judging from all of the stuff I've gotten from you over the years, he'll regret he ever said that once he see's your work in person and has them in his possession.

Thanks for the support folks. I just wanted the general TDH population to understand what i do every day. Trying to be as transparent as possible.

Furthermore, this was in no way meant to be an attack on the person. We all get frustrated and i understand that. I just wanted to try and avoid more messages of the sort. This is also why i had posted that "leave of absence" thread, because during that month or so i wasnt able to do much work and it did, in fact delay everything, as i expected it would, and i didnt want these types of messages once i got back. So when i got this message i thought maybe i should post a clarification of sorts.

Anywho, overall, things here are better now and i am able to get back into the swing of things. Its going to be super humid all week so painting is a no go until this clears up. Today I have already assembled a couple of scout pistols and layed glass down in a jetpack and helmet. Im going to go finish assembling those Scout pistols and when the JP and helmet cure, im going to cast another helmet. ...back to the shop!

Lou is a good guy and will do you right Mr. "Whoever Sent the Nasty Email" is....

I agree with what Mull said as well. Good painting takes time. I painted my lid and it's not the best lid out there but it's mine and I put a lot of work into it. I know the folks who've done this stuff for years, accept these commissions and have great reps put lots of time and effort into their work.

All other considerations aside he does rather seem to overlook the fact that paint has to dry so it would simply not be possible to work non stop on the helmet and the jetpack is hardly a new project is it, I'm sure I've been reading that thread for the last two or three years. By the way it's looking great!

I wouldn't be too concerned. Perhaps your helmet commissioner is being a bit silly, besides your response is pretty detailed so I would hope he'll understand and come around.

I have absolutely zero concerns about Lou painting my stuff. I know he is a perfectionist and I made it very plain when I commissioned him in January that "I don't care if it takes all year, as long a you're doing it" lol

Damn him that he's making a jetpack now too. Not because it may take away from painting my stuff, but now I have to figure out how to afford his jetpack and talk him into painting it for me lol.

(hint hint Lou haha :D )

I'm currently painting a helmet with a "custom" certain sports team theme and damn, I can see how doing these bloody things take forever. Frigging paint! DRY DRY DRY! lol

for the record... as early as a couple of months ago i could have easily have been that nasty guy. It all looks to be so simple and straight forward to just simply cast a helmet or armor lololol i could have not been more clueless!! Just the amount of prepping to cast a helmet is staggering. Nothing is simple...when it comes to quality or accuracy

I have absolutely zero concerns about Lou painting my stuff. I know he is a perfectionist and I made it very plain when I commissioned him in January that "I don't care if it takes all year, as long a you're doing it" lol

If I had a dollar for every time I remind him that I'm not in a rush and to take as much time as he needed, my couple of Fett builds, he's done for me over the years, would have paid for themselves,lol

After doing my own boba, and my life style. I must say my hat goes off to you to have so much appreciation for our community to do what you do.

I thought my first helmet took a long time to paint up due to my ocd'ness... then I had a little girl. Now my time is pretty much nil. Painting takes three times as long to accomplish.
Hats off to you man. Nothing but respect from this guy. Keep up the solid work, I always enjoy looking at your finished projects.

its funny how people who dont build anything themselves seem to think when they order something it should ship out in two days . painting , building , casting or whatever takes time especially when you work and have a wife and a life to do also ! much respect to you and your skills and what you do . people need to learn some patience

Thanks for the support guys. But i will say he placed the order in April so by all means it wasnt like he waited 3 weeks and then said something.

That said, i dont want this to turn into an attack on the guy, that wasnt my intention by posting this thread. i just have alot going on as i posted originally, and wanted to avoid any other confusion or misunderstanding if there was any.

I can relate to this. Being on multiple sites and selling is just a messy business when it comes to lead times. Sometimes, no matter what you say, do, or how well you communicate it's just not enough. I think a lot of times buyers confuse vendors with production lines. They dont understand that they are never the only ones waiting, and that sometimes other things take priority over their order- like real life or other orders. Of course, to try to explain this concept is folly. Now, it should be noted that I have never had this problem on TDH or any forums... just through direct orders on my website or other sites starting with E and ending in bay (god help me I need to get off that site).
You dont need to defend yourself if you were worried about getting a bad review Lou. I think your rep is safe here.

If people want something fast, cheap, and mass produced there are plenty of options out there. If they want the good stuff, they will have to be patient like everyone else.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back