Resin Helmet distorted

01Hawk

Active Hunter
Not thinking I left my resin helmet in my basement ( 80 degrees )for a couple days. Normally I keep it on a post but this time I didn't. As a result the front is all distorted now. Thoughts on how to get it back to the right shape? I was going to put straps around it and leave it down there for a day or two. My other thought was to do the same thing but run a hair dryer over it. I want to wear it this weekend and don't think I will be able to get the fiberglass one done by then.

9850A2BB-23C3-4A4D-A845-AA04B2723ED3.jpg

80 degrees really shouldn't be hot enough to cause it to warp. Was there any pressure on it or stress other than the heat.

The visor almost looks like the traditional MR pinch.

I had had the visor open perfect. I think the problem is is that I didn't have the visor glued in. It was in with double sided tape and Velcro so it really didn't have any support . It was perfect before. This is how it sat for 4 days I think at most 80degrees and under 50% humidity .

62BA0252-DF2A-4DBA-9B99-6292AE9CFF7E.jpg

Did it have the MR pinch when you started work on it? If so it may be more of a case of the resin "going back to original" than real distortion. With your description of the visor not being in solidly I would think that it might be the case.

If so then the fix is that much easier because it is back to how to fix the MR pinch, which many have had to do.

Absolutely agree Mullreel.

Did it have the MR pinch when you started work on it? If so it may be more of a case of the resin "going back to original" than real distortion. With your description of the visor not being in solidly I would think that it might be the case.

If so then the fix is that much easier because it is back to how to fix the MR pinch, which many have had to do.

I think 80° would do it. I managed to warp a resin helmet just sat on my dining table with sun coming through the window and it wouldn't have been very hot because I live in er... Britain. I think the lack of visor support has allowed the distortion to happen at the weakest point and the weight off the helmet resting on the mandible tips has simply pushed the upper visor gap up and out. I'm not detecting a particular similarity to the MR pinch just luck of the draw. It's an easy fix with the aforementioned method although probably best to secure the visor permanently.

I've had two resin helmets distort on me in no great heat and amongst other reasons it makes them very unattractive to me. Also means you have to be careful where you store it which is a pain in my small house. You've got this mate; be good as new soon.

It actually had a really nice gap and shape from the start. It is an AnimeFan dentless helmet. I was concerned about it warping since I was told that could be a concern. I always kept it on a roll of paper towels as a stand and had zero issues. Hopefully it goes back Into shape for the weekend since I don't think I can get the DVH one ready that quick. Here is a pic from before with the visor just sitting on the helmet not attached.

7B4C82BE-2E29-4079-A824-FCC9A2CA1E5B.jpg

It got a little bit better. Tomorrow I am going to get it secured in the shape I want and put it out in the sun for an hour or so and then put in front of the AC. Don't want to give it too drastic of a change incase it were to crack the paint or cause it to peel. It should be fine. Worst case is will make the visor more secure and hold it in shape that way. Thanks for all the help!
444689E5-0E7F-48FD-948A-6AC8B2D436D4.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back