My $29.00 Han Solo DL-44 Blaster Build

azheat01

Active Hunter
My son always wants to play with my most expensive collectibles, so I decided I'm going to surprise him with his very own working Han Solo DL-44 air soft blaster. It's always fun to scratch build stuff like this when you don't have to worry about accuracy. Despite EVERYTHING being incorrect, I think it will look the part once painted. Everything I used to build this I had laying around except the following:

- Airsoft Pistol
- BB gun scope
- Resin muzzle brake

I bought one of these sets for $8.50 on eBay, can't go wrong there.

attachment.jpg

$8.00 BB gun scope from Walmart.

attachment.jpg

I disassembled the scope, removed some of the plastic rings, and only left on the front eye piece. I then took off the sight adjustment housing and cut it in half. I'm going to add one adjustment knob to the top of the scope.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I had some aluminum scrap left over and cut off a 2" piece, then used the existing scope mounts to clamp onto the aluminium strip. The aluminum strip is bolted to a door deadbolt strike plate like the one pictured below.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I cut another piece of aluminum and mounted that to the bottom of the strike plate. I added three metal washers and cut off the tops of two nails and epoxied those to the two outer washers. I epoxied a brass grommet to the center washer and took half of the original sight adjuster knobs and epoxied that to the top of the scope.

attachment.jpg

I found a rubber screw cap and covered the nut behind the scope.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I had some left over hose and decided to test a piece for the front grill. I think it'll work, so I'll re-cut it tomorrow for a better fit.

attachment.jpg

I think once I prime, paint, and weather, it will look OK. Better yet, my son will love it! He can still remove the magazine, cycle the slide, and shoot the little yellow pellets that came with it. Although as far as the cats are concerned, that may end up being a bad thing..............

- - - Updated - - -

First coat of black applied, I think it looks sharp. Still need add some color layers, weathering, redo the grips, etc.....

attachment.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to repaint the grips with a couple layers of acrylic paint. A little more detail, weathering, then I can seal this and call it done.

attachment.jpg

Love this, I bought the same C96 toy in Chinatown SF and just weathered it.

What did you do for the barrel? I don't see if you mentioned it.

Love this, I bought the same C96 toy in Chinatown SF and just weathered it.

What did you do for the barrel? I don't see if you mentioned it.

That's the resin muzzle break, mentioned that in the parts I didn't have, just found that on eBay.

Was your base Mauser a 3/4 scale or full size? I bought a 3/4 for an adult but it was just too small so now I'm going to do something similar for my little cousin. He'll love it!

Great build fella, you're son will love it :) you can adopt me if you like, I've got a ton of things I want building haha

Thanks guy!

Was your base Mauser a 3/4 scale or full size? I bought a 3/4 for an adult but it was just too small so now I'm going to do something similar for my little cousin. He'll love it!

I don't think it's 3/4, I never actually measured it, it's a tad smaller, but I think it's pretty close.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back