Best way to cut holes in leather vest

tk337

Active Hunter
Hi all,

My LSFU Jango flightsuit and vest are in the mail!!! I bought chest armor that used a snap attachment system. I just need to rub'n'buff it and attach it to the vest. I don't want to ruin the leather by cutting it poorly and opening up future trouble for it rip further down the road. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way to cut holes in the leather vest?

Yvette

I am in the same boat. My leather vest is there and waiting for me to get the guts to start on it. That first cut is gonna hurt.

For the jetpack straps I'm guessing? Keep in mind, you might want to do them a touch lower than measured. The jetpack has some weight. If the straps holes are too high, the straps coming out of the vest will be pulled down by the weight of the pack, causing the vest to ride up near near the neck in the front. I made a cut across with a razor blade, then a small vertical cut on each end. Folded it all in and sewed the heck out of it to prevent ripping. You have leather so you could glue it with leather weld if you wanted. could even glue a scrap piece to the inside for reinforcement.

A leather hole bunch is the best route in my opinion. Not a rotary punch that you squeeze like pliers, but the kind that you hit with a hammer. Any leather supplier should have them.

Something like this would work:
Tandy Leather Factory - Mini Punch Set

I'm not a huge fan of those myself... I prefer the individual punches rather than the interchangeable tip style:
Tandy Leather Factory - Craftool Round Drive Punches

You just want to make sure you get the right size for the snaps you plan to use.

Little tip before you make swiss cheese out of your new vest. Get the snaps glued to your armor first. Put on the vest. Put a tiny amount of Rub-n-buff on the female portion of the snaps (glued your armor.) Make note you know where your girth belt sits on your vest, I marked that with tape. While wearing your vest, place the armor plates on the vest and the R&B will mark a circle where you need to punch the hole. I start with the neck, pnuch it, attach it. Diamond, punch it, attach it. Both side chest pieces, punch it attach it. Then the ab piece, punch it, attach it. IT takes a while, but you have to nail the proportions, or it going to look wrong. Need just the right amount of spacing.

I have now purchased the leather punch, and some scrap leather to practice on.

Soon I will make swiss cheese of my beautiful leather vest. Will probably take your advice (Jango 5204) and start at the top and work my way down.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back