Blind Guy Questions

JosephWesthouse

New Hunter
I realized that I've been starting a number of comments with the disclaimer: "Blind guy question." So I figured it might make more sense if I was to start a thread where I can consolidate these sorts of questions. This is where I'll post things that most Fetts could find an answer to simply by looking at the reference pics, but that I need actual descriptions of. Sometimes I can get my wife to look at pics with me, but if she's busy or unavailable, or I'm just feeling impatient, I may post questions here. Here are a couple to get started:

- Where exactly are the quilted patches on the gloves? Is there any stitching on the patches themselves (i.e., rows of stitching across the back of the hand, or anything like that)?
- I remember reading about a seam, or stitching, on the cape. Is the cape one piece of fabric, with stitching on it? Or is it multiple pieces of fabric stitched together?
- Does the "button hole" on the cape typically have a metal grommet, or is it just a sewn button hole?

Not sure on the correct glove answer since I just bought mine already done. For the cape ( towel in my case) I used a small metal grommet and it works perfectly.

The gloves have different sized patches. The left glove's patch is smaller than the right's. The left one is D shaped with the curve toward the fingers. Width and length equal, but not quite wide enough cover the entire back of the hand. For instance, my gloves measure 3-1/2" wide across the back, and the patch is about 3" wide, 3" long. The right glove's patch is longer than the left wrist-to-fingers. I made mine 4-1/2" long, so it's a longer D shape.

Each patch has 5 quilted sections 5/8" to 3/4" wide, parallel with the fingers. The quilting is in the form of seams running from wrist to fingers. The ESB images I'm using show gray stitching. In addition to the backs of the hands, the fingers are also quilted on the back, from not quite the back of the hand to the tips. The thumb is similarly quilted.

The gloves themselves are gray dress gloves, like a military dress guard would wear. Also called parade gloves. The ones I got are stretchy synthetic material, got them online for $13 for 2 pairs. I'm using the same material for the patches as I used for my flak vest. I made the patches with quilting and then stitched them by hand onto the gloves, very labor intensive. I used a 1 pound "queenline" honey jar as mold for the glove while stitching.

The cape has seams depending on which version you're doing. The ESB cape has an orange section through the main color section, so I assume 2 seams, one on each side of the orange. The ROTJ version has a different set of specs that I'm not sure of.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are patches, or pads, on the back of each of the fingers and the thumb, as well as on the back of the hands. the pads on the fingers have no special stitches or quilting. the pads on the back of the hands have four lines of stitching, running the length of the hand, creating five quilts. the hand pads are also asymmetrical, the left is much shorter than the right.

Thanks guys - I thought I remembered the stitching on the back of the hand, but wasn't sure. So, all of the quilting is on the back of the hand/fingers? There's nothing on the palm of the hand or bottom of the fingers?

My costume's going to be RotJ, so that's the cape I'm wondering about. I just wasn't sure if the stitching I read about on the cape is an actual seam, or just a row of stitching. We're probably going to make it out of olive canvas - should be easy enough, but we want to be sure to do it as close to "right" as possible.

I really appreciate the detailed answers, guys - this is so helpful.

I think it's an actual seam, or two seams, they are double-stitched or two rows of stitching each. This tutorial explains how to make one from an actual tent. Perhaps with help this will explain the seam style and location. The cape is 29.5" wide and 36" long before the edges are sewn, 27.25" x 35" after edges are sewn. The bottom edge is not hemmed.

The stitching runs parallel to the long sides. The rows of stitching are different, one is close together and the other is spaced apart something like 3/4". The closer together stitching is 5.25" from the edge, the wider spaced stitching is 4" from the other edge. The grommet is on the top hemmed edge, about 1" from the side edge and about 2" from the top edge, all on the side with the widely spaced stitching.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Return of the Jedi Cape Tutorial.pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 208
Here's another blind guy question: what is the length of the gloves, in general terms? I got a pair of military dress gloves that I'm planning to dye, but I guess I always assumed the gloves were a little longer - like, mid-forearm length? I have no basis for this assumption - it's just what's in my head. But these gloves are just wrist-length, with the snap on the inside of the wrist. Are they the proper length, or not?

They are the correct length, but cuffs were added to the gloves for film use. Cuffs were about 4" long, denim or something similar.

Thanks, Gregory...

One more probably very silly question: the kidney plate/back belt has one edge that is straight, and one edge that's wavy (for lack of a better term). Which edge faces up, and which edge faces down?

Also, where the back belt and cod plate overlap, which piece is on top, and which piece is underneath?

Thanks, Gregory...

One more probably very silly question: the kidney plate/back belt has one edge that is straight, and one edge that's wavy (for lack of a better term). Which edge faces up, and which edge faces down?

Also, where the back belt and cod plate overlap, which piece is on top, and which piece is underneath?

The wavy part faces down and the cod section is on top with the back section unterneath it.

If I'm not mistaken, for 501 qualification the cape is made from an army half shelter which you can pick up from an army surplus store for under $15.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back