Sideshow Premium Format ESB Boba Fett

If this were from Hot Toys I'd be more surprised. I didn't see any mention on the SS website of Hot Toys affiliation. Maybe I overlooked it?
This is, completely on par with figures made by Sideshows other manufacturers. Was glad to see no mention of the Mega turn signals on Eric's HT ROTJ figure, although it did look much more the part after his repaint.
This figure too would benefit from some of the aforementioned painting obviously, but how would you tackle the turn signals? Fill and redo?

I used to be a huge Premium Format freak. Had all the xmen and other old school ones like spiderman avengers and others. The old school sideshow stuff was awesome. The last couple years however...... ugh, complete garbage. Sideshow took off, became real money makers and I guess new leadership and greed took over. The prototypes all look great, painted by an actual artist. The production pieces however. WOW. All assembly line, made in China trash. Sloppy sloppy paint, horrible decal work, cheap hollow cast bodies, (Im talking literally egg shell thing is some places) less and less material to no material used on the premium formats and of course prices going through the freaking roof. Not to mention when they used to announce a figure in 6 to 9 months it was released. Now its almost two years on some pieces. They have really tanked. (n)

Wow..... those prototype pics...... love that.....

The production piece..... I'll have to fix..... seriously...

So..... I got mine yesterday...... I'll put up some comparison pics.....

I can tell you that my helmet doesn't have that silver X on the side, it's closer to what it should be..... they're will still be some things I tweak..........

I'm thinking part of this obviously is down to mass production and people who don't know this like we do missing finer details.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Robert and i certainly agree. i'd like to see the pics of your helmet.
i will say that after a couple weeks, the piece has grown on me a bit. its not as intolerable as it once was. still not my favorite piece as i had anticipated it to be upon first payment but it has earned a spot on display rather than being put back in the box for shipment elsewhere.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457545451.432083.jpg
i think after a year and a half of waiting for it to finally come and my affinity towards all things Boba Fett ESB, i will end up keeping it. at least for now.
i know sideshow can send replacement parts and i think the X on the side would certainly warrant a new helmet. if they are unwilling to help, i will be rethinking the above statement to keep the piece. i will be making some adjustments as well, especially to the flightsuit and the mythosaur. definitely turn the braids around.
after all this, after the delays, after the continued business practice of misleading customers with stellar prototypes only to be duped by a mass produced product that results in dissatisfaction and disappointment, i have made the decision to refrain from ordering anything further from Sideshow Collectibles.

Sent from my R2 unit

if I squint and make it out of focus it looks excellent... Unfortunately I have to re focus & there's a few stupid mistakes that just pop right out... I think my old Medicom RAH ESB 1/6 figure is more accurate than that and that is saying something! :facepalm

20160316_143753.jpg20160316_143822.jpg20160316_143849.jpg20160316_143844.jpg20160316_143832.jpg20160316_143901.jpg20160316_144321.jpg(I took this one because this piece was pretty obviously inspired by the Chris Trevas piece from SWCV).

I received mine yesterday. Overall, I like it. The helmet sculpt is very good, the base is awesome, the pose is dynamic, and MOST of the paint is pretty good. However, the part I think is weakest are he gauntlets. They're huge and kind of oddly shaped.

(I took this one because this piece was pretty obviously inspired by the Chris Trevas piece from SWCV).

then why put an ROTJ mythosaur skull on an ESB Boba? if that were the case, they not only had an accurate print but a prototype that is arguably 100% accurate. they had the roadmap but chose to deviate. even after they were told it was wrong.

Sent from my R2 unit

if I squint and make it out of focus it looks excellent... Unfortunately I have to re focus & there's a few stupid mistakes that just pop right out... I think my old Medicom RAH ESB 1/6 figure is more accurate than that and that is saying something! :facepalm

lol just put a bag over his head.
yeah, my Scum and Villainy 1/6 ESB fett is much closer to accurate. at 1/6 size they were even able to paint the red LEDs on the rangefinder and the chest lights are painted on! not to mention the correct Mythosaur and wookie braid orientation.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458158796.819722.jpg
IDK why but that is super important to me for some reason lol
besides the shin tools being the visual dictionary versions, the piece is much more on point at less than half the size.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458159447.295604.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree. I have the Scum and Villainy figure as well and that one disappointed me from the start. I thought the anatomy was weird. To me, his waist/abdomen was too narrow but hips were too wide and the way the chest armor sits it just ridiculous. Also, the shape of the helmet, I think, is among Sideshow's worst efforts. But there are things it gets right, sure. I suppose that's just the nature of mass-production pieces. There will probably never be a perfect representation of Boba Fett produced and I don't buy anything (Sideshow or otherwise) expecting it to be. I buy simply because I love Boba Fett and I love collecting Boba Fett memorabilia.

View attachment 97568View attachment 97569View attachment 97572View attachment 97571View attachment 97570View attachment 97573View attachment 97574(I took this one because this piece was pretty obviously inspired by the Chris Trevas piece from SWCV).

I received mine yesterday. Overall, I like it. The helmet sculpt is very good, the base is awesome, the pose is dynamic, and MOST of the paint is pretty good. However, the part I think is weakest are he gauntlets. They're huge and kind of oddly shaped.

Wow....I REALLY need a copy of that Trevas piece! ;)

Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree. I have the Scum and Villainy figure as well and that one disappointed me from the start. I thought the anatomy was weird. To me, his waist/abdomen was too narrow but hips were too wide and the way the chest armor sits it just ridiculous. Also, the shape of the helmet, I think, is among Sideshow's worst efforts. But there are things it gets right, sure. I suppose that's just the nature of mass-production pieces. There will probably never be a perfect representation of Boba Fett produced and I don't buy anything (Sideshow or otherwise) expecting it to be. I buy simply because I love Boba Fett and I love collecting Boba Fett memorabilia.

i guess i just don't see it. i can deal with a bit misshapen armor and the helmet without the ESB flare when it comes to nailing the finite details that make the differences between ESB and ROTJ.
I don't purchase things expecting perfection either but at a 500$ sticker price, there is a certain standard that should be. as an ESB purist, that ROTJ mythosaur is a slap in the face.

on a more positive note, i did contact sideshow and they are going to replace the helmet at least. nothing they can do about the horizontal feather or the shoulder bell but at least that huge silver X wont be an issue.

Sent from my R2 unit

That's good to hear they're doing that........

I'll get some pics of mine up next week, already thinking of the mods I'll be doing to it.....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back