Would like opinions and tips on my helmet

It's all just a big learning experience.

Thats looking great though! Looks smaller compared to mine though, are you planning on wearing it? Or I guess I just made mine too big...

That aside, I can't disagree with the learning curve, just sucks that all this stuff is hard to find over here, as I mentioned above, we dont have anything like bondo, and you have to be kinda lucky DIY shops are even selling these, and then they only sell em for 250 grams at a time... and according to amazon i can get twice as much bondo for the price of the 250 grams (shipping not included)

looks great to me :)

Thank yo uverry much ,that means a lot to me to hear that!

Alright, since I have to wait to buy the equipment I did a test run on my stalk, tell me what you guys think. this is only the base coat of paint btw, I still have to get the colors I want..
A friend told told me it looks chipped/damaged/rugged, wich is true id say, and I kinda like that, but I know how it has to be smooth and everything...

IMG_20150118_020640.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, since I have to wait to buy the equipment I did a test run on my stalk, tell me what you guys think. this is only the base coat of paint btw, I still have to get the colors I want..
A friend told told me it looks chipped/damaged/rugged, wich is true id say, and I kinda like that, but I know how it has to be smooth and everything...

View attachment 84129

Looking good. How's the Bondo sanding coming along? I was hoping to be done with mine, but the back panels weren't smooth enough for me so I am back in Bondo sanding hell.

Looking good. How's the Bondo sanding coming along? I was hoping to be done with mine, but the back panels weren't smooth enough for me so I am back in Bondo sanding hell.

Thank you, but you sure it shouldn't be smooth? Lets see if I can poke voorhees :p
this piece.

Ah as for the sanding, its going slow I guess, I'm not quite sure how to begin with it, I just bought a dremel tool and using that to sand it down and also the paper lines like the guy in the video you linked , but it are those I'm worried about, I'm borrowing a file tomorrow from my grandpa to be sure it's done properly.

deltakilla, how's your helmet coming along?

Weird how Ididn't get a notification in my mail... err about the helmet, I got my dremel tool, borrowed a file.. I cut out a small area in the back to put in the keyhole 'vents' wich will also be used as my vent t oget fresh air.. and I'm using the file to file down the areas where the paper meet so that It'll look round (hopefully) when I apply the second coat.

also cut out the visor part, got my visorr, and darkening 'tape' but im waiting for that till the end as the visor has this .. metal rim around the sides as reinforcements, i'm gonna wait of cuttign that up to size and stuff when the helmets finished, also helmet seems kinda big to me..

For the rest I am waiting till I can get more bondo... also college has started again..so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Careful with the dremel for sanding. It removes bondo very quickly. Best sanding tool is a wood block and sand paper. (Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who hasn't even finished his first helmet) ;)

Careful with the dremel for sanding. It removes bondo very quickly. Best sanding tool is a wood block and sand paper. (Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who hasn't even finished his first helmet) ;)

I am using a sanding block for that actually ^^ dremel is for cutting and such, I file the edged areas down with a file, so I need less bondo to make it round... went to pic more bondo earlier... different bran , with fiberglass in it, double as much and costs less than what I previously had.. I am rather pissed for that... but let me show you what I mean

top.jpg I just filed the edges down back to the paper layer

back.jpg

On that note, as I was in the store earlier, I forgot to pick up paint, but I just remembered I don't even know what color Boba's armor is even supposed to be, can anyone enlighten me on that?

On that note, as I was in the store earlier, I forgot to pick up paint, but I just remembered I don't even know what color Boba's armor is even supposed to be, can anyone enlighten me on that?

The stencils at this link have paint information.

Did you use the Rafal template for the keyslots on the back of the helmet? The Pep I used didn't have them so I used Rafal's template to Frankenstein it in. Here's a pic of my helmet. I am ready to begin the painting process

attachment.php

The stencils at this link have paint information.

Did you use the Rafal template for the keyslots on the back of the helmet? The Pep I used didn't have them so I used Rafal's template to Frankenstein it in. Here's a pic of my helmet. I am ready to begin the painting process

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84683&d=1423270554

Ah, sweet , surprised I never noticed that, as for the template, I used wizard's template, and cut out the back part it previously mentioned dremel, gleud it in, resinned it and giberglassed it :D

As I have noticed that I did all that before... it was hard as a rock and thus not bendeable as I placed it in making it look bad.... aaand my hot glue did not want to glue it....

At first I just wanted to just cut it out of the back but that wouldn't have the bend and depth detail the template one had... so yay details!

And yours is looking great! What template did you use for it?

And yours is looking great! What template did you use for it?

Thanks. I used fierfek's pep file, resin ears from eBay, and a stainless steel and resin range finder from eBay. Lots of light coats of bondo and sanding. Hopefully the painting and weathering won't be as tedious.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

I ended using epoxy glue. It took a bit to set, but worked out well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

and What template did you use? (sorry, I always edit my stuff to add after thoughts incase you didn't see it)

also I think i'll try to smoother out my rnage finder pieces... Do you happen to have a good video explaining how to apply bondo smoothely? Mine always leaves those weird areas behind

and What template did you use? (sorry, I always edit my stuff to add after thoughts incase you didn't see it)

also I think i'll try to smoother out my rnage finder pieces... Do you happen to have a good video explaining how to apply bondo smoothely? Mine always leaves those weird areas behind

The main stuff I learned was from the YouTube channel of the video I posted av while back. The short version was to mix well, work in a small area at a time, and use a small spreader / smoother. I still had high and low spots. I trimmed the high spots with a razor blade while it was still soft. Made sanding a lot easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

The main stuff I learned was from the YouTube channel of the video I posted av while back. The short version was to mix well, work in a small area at a time, and use a small spreader / smoother. I still had high and low spots. I trimmed the high spots with a razor blade while it was still soft. Made sanding a lot easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Ah , I'm thinkign of gettign the gauntlet pieces from ebay aswell...

so is fierfek on this site or no?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back