General Mid-Budget ESB built

The decal on ESB isnt a Decal it should be painted on...rafal has a template for that...would give it more of an ESB feel then ROTJ.

Also are you planning to add browns and blacks and greys to this with something over top?

I think i will go the decal route... I´m not that good at painting. ;) And yes, I will also add some brown and grey tones/weathering.

Recieved the gauntlet darts and couldn´t wait to install them.

First I drilled 4 holes into the right gauntlet front using masking tape to get the correct position.
P9030220.JPG

Then I glued the darts into the holes with gel superglue.
P9030223.JPG

Here the result.
P9030224.JPG

Did some weathering on the knee armor yesterday evening with grey, brown and black acryl paint using the washing method:
P9070320.JPGP9070321.JPGP9070322.JPGP9070323.JPG

I installed white elastic band into the knee armor. They are just glued in with gel super glue. After that I weathered them with brown and black acryl paint.
P9210401.JPGP9210403.JPGP9240448.JPG

...and managed to do some progress on the shoulder armor.
P9240446.JPG

In reality the knee and right shoulder armor are more orange, than shown in the pictures.

Looking good..... I would say that the left shoulder still looks orange, as it should be yellow. Maybe that's just the pics......

Some pics of the test fit... it´s coming together... step by step. :D
P9250449.JPGP9250450.JPGP9250451.JPGP9250452.JPG

Next will be installing the magnets to the armor and rework the velcro on the vest.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good..... I would say that the left shoulder still looks orange, as it should be yellow. Maybe that's just the pics......

Thanks Major! It´s just the pics... the left shoulder is yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

you're on the right track sir!

Sent from my R2 unit

Thank you, jbdubz! I hope so! ;)

Guess what it is...
PB120472.JPG

Correct! The inside of my vest, starting to find the right positions of the magnets. I´m using N52 neodym 10x10x2mm magnets. The relation is 1 glued to the armor : 3 on the inside of the vest. So at the moment it´s 111 magnets only for the 4 chest pieces. :D
First of all I tried 1:1, but that was too loose and easy to pull apart.
1:2 was strong, but not strong enough (for me).
1:3 is perfect, the magnet area on the inside is still flat enough and you have to pull really hard on the armor before you can take it off the vest.
Before glueing (I´m still thinking about the best way to fix them on the vest material) I´ll have to cut out the area, where the chest display will sit, to hide the electronics and cable.

Wow! Clap. clap. CLaaAP! Great work! I'm loving this build and thanks for sharing this detailed build with the communitie. It's almost like a tutorial! I can't stress this enough, great job!!!!

Some pics of the test fit... it´s coming together... step by step. :D
View attachment 81473View attachment 81474View attachment 81475View attachment 81476

Next will be installing the magnets to the armor and rework the velcro on the vest.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Major! It´s just the pics... the left shoulder is yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, jbdubz! I hope so! ;)
How did you get the shoulder plates to stay on the mannequin? I'm new and looking to display something similar to that until I do a full build.

Wow! Clap. clap. CLaaAP! Great work! I'm loving this build and thanks for sharing this detailed build with the communitie. It's almost like a tutorial! I can't stress this enough, great job!!!!

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get the shoulder plates to stay on the mannequin? I'm new and looking to display something similar to that until I do a full build.

At the moment, they are held in place by velcro. But I´ll change this in the next days, using magnets.

The magnet-installation... was a succes!:D

I used hotglue to fix the magnets on the inside of the vest. From now on, it will be only hand-washing possible.;) It took me several hours, because each time before gluing the magnets, I checked the right position of the armor.
PB160473.JPGPB190481.JPG

The edge of the armor sits now very flat on the vest, no space or gaps visible. It looks like a unit. I´m very happy with the result.
PB190475.JPGPB190479.JPG

Now the time has come to take care of the chest electronics:
As cover for the lights behind the slots I use matt black car window foil. To attach it to the inside of the armor, strong tape is really helpful and in case I have to chabge something, I can just pull it apart. At the moment the cable shows on the front of the vest. To hide it, I´ll cut a small hole into the vest and put it through to the inside, where also the battery will be placed in a small pocket.
PB120472.JPGPB200482.JPGPB200483.JPGPB200485.JPGPB190476.JPGPB190478.JPG

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back