FPH #15 Progress Thread

UPDATE 2/11/09

Did you all think that I had disappeared? :rolleyes Sorry for the lack of updates, but work travel interfered! So...

I have gotten the damage in and around the killstripes done. If you notice the ref pics, you notice a wear pattern in the area underneath the kill stripes. I tried to replicate that with some fine grit sand paper. I slowly sanded down to the primer and in some areas the gelcoat. The same idea was carried on to the area between the 9th and 10th killstripe. Again with the compass point for the fine scratches.
p2110640wx2.jpg

p2110642iw3.jpg

I also got the front scratch done and did the areas around the turn signals.
p2110641jj8.jpg

You can probably also see that I've got the dent "silverized" as well as the dent scratch that trails off from it. I think that you can see the stencil for the dark grey area as well. I'll lay that down tomorrow.

We're getting there.... :cheers

UPDATE 02/23

Wow...been awhile! So here is where we're at. Since our last episode, I've added some detail to the dent and the scratch that follows back from it. I'm not done with the dent, as I still have to add two more colors to it: some out of the bottle SP Dark Lark Grey and some Delta Ceramcoat Blue Wisp for the highlights.
p2230640f.jpg

p2230641.jpg

I also finally got the catscratch done. :p Of all things, this was the one that I was most worried about. I really like how it turned out. You can also see the area directly adjacent to the RF ear.
p2230642.jpg

Also got the area above the catscratch done and you can also see the top scratch above it.
p2230643.jpg

Onward we go to the highlights you can see on the back panels and dent. Also need to add the white thumbprints. (y) :cheers

I have seen this helmet in person. I was a loss for words. Which doesnt happen that often. lol. This truly is an amazing helmet paintjob.

She's Finally DONE!!!!!

UPDATE 3/2

Well ladies and gents...it's done!!! (y) WOOT!!

I'll briefly elaborate on the final steps:

I applied the Delta Blue Wisp to the back panels and dent, as well as select areas on the keyslot area, rear hatband, and brow. In the pics you can see how the appearance changes depending on the lighting.
p3020651.jpg

p3020650.jpg

p3020653.jpg

Following that, I applied a clearcoat to seal the paint. I used Testors Dullcoat. I applied lightly just to give the surface some texture to grab onto the pastels that were to follow.

I applied four basic pastel colors to the bucket: ash grey, black, dark brown, and sandy brown...oh and orange-red for the killstripes! I just shaved some of the powder off with a flat-edge X-Acto and used varying sizes of make-up application brushes (thanks out to the girlfriend) to apply the powders.

On the dome and lower cheeks I used the ash and sandy brown, feathering up from the bottom to the middle and in from the edges. Along the line b/t the upper and lower cheeks I went a bit darker with the dark brown. The effect is rather subtle and just goes to break up some of the POG to give the appearance of fading. It may not show up really well in the pics. I used a bit darker shade of gray-black for the blast residue streaking back from the dent. I mixed a combo of orange and red to get the effects on the kill strips; starting heavier in the back and fading as I went forward. I also added some dark brown to the turn signals.
p3020645.jpg

p3020646.jpg

p3020647.jpg

p3020652.jpg

I used mostly black on the back panels and you really can't see the effect at all. It just helped to diffuse the blue-green color a bit.

After I got the pastels done, I added the white thumbprints in the killstripe area and added the greasy stains on the back of the helmet with Citadel inks. Then I thinned down some Tamiya khaki and used an old toothbrush to flick the paint on the bucket, focusing mainly on the front.

I finished up the asok's RF with PS Engine Flat Black with silver detailing. Thanks to mrgr8ness for the LED assembly.

Enough rambling...here are some overall pics of the finished product. Thanks to everyone who offered input into this project. I want to especially thank Eric (Superjedi) for his masterful advice during this. I couldn't have done it without your help!

p3020640.jpg

p3020641.jpg

p3020642.jpg

p3020643.jpg

p3020644.jpg

p3020648.jpg

p3020649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Duuuuuuude. . . that's beautiful. :eek:

Just try to wipe the huge smile off your face whenever you look at it. Can't do it, can you??? :lol: :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back