RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

TD2252,

I'm having a little problem. I have everything wired up but only one monterary switch works and when I press the switch it moves the servo when I let go of the switch the servo returns back to the starting point. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

TD2252,

I'm having a little problem. I have everything wired up but only one monterary switch works and when I press the switch it moves the servo when I let go of the switch the servo returns back to the starting point. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Hi SkylaFett,

Hmmm...looks like you might've short circuited the control pads. My advice is to follow what Pilot posted on post #52 and make a cut in the middle of the control pad to disconnect the contacts and avoid short circuiting the pad itself. Good luck and I hope this helps!:)

pad.gif

Brilliant tutorial! Is there a specific RC you suggest, or will most work? How loud is the servo when in the helmet?

Again, nice job ;)

EDIT: Sorry, it seems I have another question. The picture in which the ensamble is completed: what is the red wire on the remote circuit board for, the one to the right of the wires leading to the AAA box?

A pic for additional explanation:

DSC00084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TheGhraveArtist,

Thanks for the compliment! Most RC car sets should work as they all have the same concept. But since the ZipZap cars are micro in size, they work the best when space in your helmet and gauntlet is prime real estate.

As far as the noise coming from the servo, it isn't that loud and you only have to activate it once in a great while anyway.

For the red wire that you pointed out, that is the antenna wire coming from the transmitter board. I had to solder a longer one so I can get more range with it.

I hope this helps and good luck!

This is a cool tutorial. I cant find the same kind of zip zaps here in NZ, but i have just picked up a cheap micro racer. Its only 27mhz, compared to the one you used. this Im guessing shouldn't matter to much:confused IM still on the hunt for the slim servo's. Hopefully I wont have to hunt to far... But this is a definate mod for my helmet:rolleyes

OK, I can NOT apologize for this any more than I possibly am. I am a new member, but my account with TDH has been in effect for a few months now. I have a question. Why am I so restricted to what I can and can't access. I CAN'T visit the cargo hold, I CAN'T post new threads (which is what I wanted to do to ask these sorts of questions, (but I COULDN'T!)) and I want to know how I can gain these privileges. I'm so sorry for asking this way (through a comment), but I had no other choice (or at least I couldn't find another choice).

Awesome tutorial mate, I want to do something along these lines when I receive my helmet. But was thinking about a non radio version.
Possibly activating the servo by wire up the sleeve to guantlet, direct battery to motor drive via switch. Or switch monted in the helmet itself activating the servo just to simplify things.
Could this work:confused

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, you can do something along the lines of hard wiring the entire system or connect the switch directly to your helmet. I actually have a dual servo driver that I was tinkering with and I believe that attaching your RF servo will work great with it. The best thing about it is that you don't have to modify the servo, all you have to do is connect it to the board and give it a power supply and your done! Here is a pic of it. It has two potentiometer knobs, one for each servo and the servo will actuate as fast or as slow as you can turn the knobs. This is available HERE. Hope this helps a bit!

New_902MSD_with_servos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the kiddy, quite big at 2.5" square. They must do a single controller version which would come in abit smaller though. I havent got my Boba yet so dont know what the inside on the guantlets look like. Would something like that mount in a guantlet do you think?

OK, I can NOT apologize for this any more than I possibly am. I am a new member, but my account with TDH has been in effect for a few months now. I have a question. Why am I so restricted to what I can and can't access...

From the TDH FAQ:

When does a new member get full access?
In short, after being a member for MORE than 14 days and making more than 9 posts.
A member with less and 14 days of membership and less than 5 posts is considered a "new member" and has the most restrictions. Once a new member has 5 or more posts AND has been here MORE than 14 days, they will be automatically promoted from a new member to an “intermediate member.” Once they have 10 or more posts AND have been here MORE than 14 days, they will be automatically promoted from intermediate member to “full member” and will have full access to the board.

Thats the kiddy, quite big at 2.5" square. They must do a single controller version which would come in abit smaller though. I havent got my Boba yet so dont know what the inside on the guantlets look like. Would something like that mount in a guantlet do you think?

2.5 inches is about the same size as the Hyperdyne RF board. Take it off the protective case and put it next to the servo. I've been using one for 2 years and never had an issue with it being to big.

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, you can do something along the lines of hard wiring the entire system or connect the switch directly to your helmet. I actually have a dual servo driver that I was tinkering with and I believe that attaching your RF servo will work great with it. The best thing about it is that you don't have to modify the servo, all you have to do is connect it to the board and give it a power supply and your done! Here is a pic of it. It has two potentiometer knobs, one for each servo and the servo will actuate as fast or as slow as you can turn the knobs. This is available HERE. Hope this helps a bit!

New_902MSD_with_servos.jpg

Nice driver board indeed. If the pots can be replaced with a switch then it would be great!

If this board goes next to the servo how would you get to the switches to activate it, I was thinking more of the board in the guantlet.

Do you have any piccies of your set up?

Just been looking into it the board can be customised to take an external pot/switch, not something they sell but would have to be swapped out. meaning the driver could stay in the helmet and a small switch down on the guantlet, would just need a wire stitched in the suit and power from the helmet fan batteries. Down side is the wire comming out the helmet:facepalm

The board is showing the capability for a remote pot, so it will probably handle a remote switch also. Just run the switch to your gaunt and the wire to your helmet.

I'll have to dig for some nice pics of my current helmet set-up. They are pretty far down the page lists on the Mercs boards from early early in the year.

The same company that do the board also have the servo that is featured above. They do it in 90 and 180 degree version. So which is needed, 90 sounds right as that is how far i want it to travel, but does that mean the servo is at reat at the 45 degree angle, so if it was fully up it will require a constant draw of current. So would the 180 be better so the middle rest point is fully up and not require a current?

Yeah that is the down side to having this configuration. Having the wires stick out from the helmet by using the remote potentiometer. But then again, you can always tuck it in under your neck seal, maybe run the wire from the back of the bucket down to the neck seal. I believe that tweaking the board and connecting the zip zap radio transmitter to where the servo connects to the servo driver board might do the trick for a wireless radio controlled version. But you said no radio for you so that's out.

NovallTalon, I would love to see how you configured your helmet!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back