Jango72s scratch built jet pack progress thread ( from WoF templates )

rocketinrawform.jpg

What did you use for the wedge shaped cones of the rocket and how did you make that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The wedge bits are made from folded cardboard, using the templates. Tedious to make, but not too bad if you make them when you've got nothing better to do. ;)

IMG00430.jpg

thank you :)

I'm buying a few large sheets of sintra, and will try to match the awesome quality of your project :)

If there's any way that I can be of assistance to you during your build, just drop me a line. ;)

hi jango i am starting my build this weekend just wanted to know did you find it easy to do using the wolf templates an how thick was the frame pieces

If you've studied your reference pictures enough, the WoF templates are fairly easy to follow. The only issue that I had was where the top deck was supposed to attach to the back of the pack. It took me three tries to finally get the proper position, so feel free to learn from my mistake.

As for the frame peices, mine were 1/8" thick, as that was the thickness of the material that I was using. Hope this helps you, and feel free to quiz me if you have any additional questions.

Hey man, awesome pack!

I'm starting to build mine as well, and I have a (probably dumb) question for you: What type of glue do you use for the cardboard? Just superglue or is there something that works better?

Thanks!

Nope, no superglue for the cardboard... or the hardboard/wood parts either. What I used was Elmers white glue. I got a big bottle of it at Home Depot, and when used correctly it bonds really well.

Thanks man :D

Another question... as far as what is actually attached to the Jetpack itself, how is it harnessed onto you? I'm nearly completed my Jetpack now too and I don't know about this part... did you just glue hooks onto the back of the pack or... ???

Thanks!

I rigged a wood dowel inside the jet pack, with nylon webbing straps routed through slots in the back plate and into/around the jet pack and dowel. Then it is securely attached to my home-made harness ala Fettdad and Bobamaker with parachute clips.

Here's some pics to better illustrate...

DSC03344.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03347.jpg

DSC03348.jpg

I could wear this rig all day long, and never notice that it's on my back! :jetpack

Thanks for the informative pics! Due to the use of PVC piping in my pack, mine is unfortunately not so hollow and I didn't think of using wooden dowling... :( Perhaps I'll try it on a pack in the future :)
BTW... I like your shirt :p I'm a bit of a GW gamer myself :p

Hi there,

after i´ve found your awesome work, i was inspired to build my own Jetpack. And it works. :)

But how get I the edges round. I´ve worked with hdf 3 mm. After i´ve glued the parts together i´ve got not so smooth curves. What can i use to seal the fuges which result. I hope my english is not so bad. And you understand what I mean. I look forward to get some pics online, so you can see what I mean.

Regards
Jack

Jack. Not sure what materials you used, but can't you sand it to shape it? If not maybe you can bust out some power tools (dremel) maybe and cut the corners off and then you bondo? You may need to add bondo or hot glue to hold it together before cutting corners.

Hope that helps.

Jackfrost, in order to fill in any gaps or holes, just try what BobbyfettUK has already suggested... use some bondo to fill in those areas.

When I was building my pack, for the most part, I had little to no major gaps as I made sure that everything would fit nice and tight/snug together. Some spots I used white glue to ensure that there was no visible seam line, but in others I had to use a bit of bondo spot and glazing putty.

Just try to remember to test fit all of your parts before glueing/assembling them, and it might help to leave a bit extra around the edges when cutting them out. This will give you that little bit extra to ensure a tight fit... then all you need to do is trim off a bit here and there and then sand the join. (y)

Hope that helps you out.

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer, I´ve worked with hot glue. The parts fits very well. And 3/4 of the pack is done. I don´t know exactly what Bondo is. Is it something like filling paste? I used to make the parts of so called HDF wood/paper with 3 mm thickness.

in the next few days i´ll try to work on the rocket. But i´ve at this time no clue how to work it out. Did you made it also with MDF 3 mm thickness?

I´ll make some pics today and post them.

Thanks.
Jack

Bondo is a body filler primarily for repairing cars. It's a 2 part product that you mix then apply with a spreader, kind of like a putty. When it dries it is VERY hard, which is why people use it for their home made costume builds. If you decide to use Bondo just keep in mind you need to use it somewhere very well ventilated, if not outside, and there are spreaders you can buy from the same hardware store you get the Bondo from that are coloured to the shade you need to mix the Bondo to.
Hope this helps.

Hi there,

yes i thougt that ist some kind like that. I hope i get it in Germany i´ve never seen this product, but i´ll search. :)

Here are a pic of my jetpack from yesterday. I think it´s o.k.

I think that i´m going to finisih the assembling work these days, and then i´ll try to work with putty. Bondo is here not available. I´ll try alternate putty filler.

Thanks
Jack

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back