NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

With the power of Necromancy I bring this thread back from the dead... again(again)!

With a new commitment to get this thing done I took it out of storage tonight and sanded it down to primer:
SandedtoPrimer_1.jpg

SandedtoPrimer_2.jpg

SandedtoPrimer_3.jpg

Yes, sadly it needed to be done. I'm going to try an all layered method. I discovered that all my paint had dried out from may many moves so I need to pretty much buy everything all over again. then I can get started. I'll probably hit it with some grey primer tonight though.

UPDATE 10/10/2010:

Re-primmed and sanded ready for paint:
NewPaint_1.jpg

I decided to start with the rear panels this time around so I masked everything else with blue painters tape and a plastic bag.

NewPaint_2.jpg

I started with Poly Scale Light Gray L-5:
NewPaint_3.jpg

I broke out my Airbrush and layed down two thin coats:
NewPaint_4.jpg

I scaled up and printed out the templates from Rich D. then I grabbed some Graphite transfer paper and put it under the template print out. I then lined them up on the back of the helmet and taped them down:
NewPaint_5.jpg

The Graphite Transfer paper worked out really well.
NewPaint_6.jpg

NewPaint_7.jpg

I then used masking fluid to cover the stencil lines and sprayed on bright silver (not picutred)

I'm gonna allow this to dry overnight then I'll peel back the masking fluid.

Cheers!

I'm on the list for one. :) This bucket was always more of a display piece / get my skills sharp test bed. I have a really old MarrowSun 3 Helmet that was going to be my RotJ Bucket but now it will probably be Art and Chris's new bucket.

UPDATE 10/12/10:

Here is the rear with the light grey masked sprayed with Bright Silver:
Silver_ReeferGrey_8.jpg

Silver_ReeferGrey_9.jpg

Here is where the mask is removed and the light grey is exposed:
Silver_ReeferGrey_5.jpg

I then repeated the process of tracing the silver damage backed with graphite transfer paper. The graphite transfer paper didn't quite work as well on the bright silver but it worked well enough to mask the damage with miskit.
Silver_ReeferGrey_4.jpg

Poly Scale Reefer Grey:
Silver_ReeferGrey_3.jpg

The Rear panels after two light coats of the Reefer Grey were spray over the masked silver and light grey damage.
Silver_ReeferGrey_1.jpg

Silver_ReeferGrey_2.jpg

I have oil spots every time I painted my Sgt Fang, tried different cleaners and primers but never could get the spots to go away. Have the same problem with my Sgt Fang Vader. Hope you didn’t have the same problems.

Update coming tomorrow night. I've been distracted finishing my halloween costume (ANH Han Solo) Building the blaster has been a blast. After that it's back to work on this bucket.

Update 10/17/2010:

I peeled off the masking fluid:
reefergrey_fix_1.jpg

I noticed that the masking fluid actually peeled off more of the Reefer Grey than I wanted so I ended up Re-masking a small area and doing a quick touch up with my airbrush:
reefergrey_fix_2.jpg

I got a new masking fluid called Masque Pen. It's great especially the very fine supernib version. It's pretty much the new standard in masking for me.
reefergrey_fix_3.jpg

reefergrey_fix_4.jpg

Much Better:
reefergrey_fix_5.jpg

That's all for tonight. Been working on my DL-44 for halloween so this is on temporary hold.

Update! 10/28/2010:

Finally squeezed out a few more hours to work on the bucket.

I did repeated the same trick as I've been using with graphite paper under a template.

This time I traced the Concrete damage on:
concrete_5.jpg

Here's the Concrete I used. It's PollyScale Acrylic.
concrete_1.jpg

I sprayed it on in about 3 very thin even coats. I usually water down my acrylics about 3 parts paint to 1 part distilled water(over even less) Just enough so it flows smooth through the air brush with no stopping or sputtering.
concrete_4.jpg

This evening I removed the liquid mask to layers beneath:
concrete_2.jpg

concrete_3.jpg

So far I'm really happy with how everything is going. I just wish I had more time AND that the painted dried and cured faster than 24 hours. Being patient is hard.

Next up is the final layer on the rear panels the RLM73 Green. Then it will be on to the Dome!

This is truly nice work. Keep your patience with you! It makes all the difference in the world.

"There's never time to do the job right, but there's always time to do it twice."

Update! 10/1/2010:

I traced the concrete damage on to the helmet via the stencil/graphite paper method.
rlmgreen_1.jpg

rlmgreen_2.jpg

I used Polly Scale German RLM 73 Green for the rear panels main color.
rlmgreen_4.jpg

rlmgreen_3.jpg

Tonight I peeled off the masking fluid to revel the final rear panel.
rlmgreen_5.jpg

rlmgreen_6.jpg

There is a little sagging on the left side that I might sand down slightly and re-spray. After that I'll start doing the fine scratch detail with a needle and an exacto knife. After that I'll seal the back with Testors Semi gloss Lacquer. I'm planning on dull coating the whole bucket once the paint is done so I'm not worried about the slight shine.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back