NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

Thanks for the info! Do you by chance have a pic of your helm's interior with the fiber glass reinforcements? Did you do just one layer? and how thick? From what it sounds you put in some kind of goop then the fiber glass cloth?

I don't like being the noob, but I gotta start somewhere... That's why I'm not overly pissed about the cracks. I'm looking at them as learning experiences to improve my costuming ability!

Thanks!

Update 5/21/07

Sorry it took so long to get this up but I've been busy.

Ok first on the update I fiberglassed the inside finaly. It didnt come out a smooth as I had hopped as there are a few gators inside. Nothing too bad but still not as smooth as I had wanted.
glassedinside.jpg

I then moved on and drilled my holes for the screws that I was planning on useind to secure the ears to the bucket. After the holes were drilled I held the ears on and marked them with a marker through the hole. I made the holes slightly oval because I wanted to give my self a little play room so that I could line the ears up 100% perfect.
lholes.jpg

rholes.jpg

rfholes.jpg

For my ears I decided to make them removeable like my visor. I used a fostner bit to sink some tenuts in the the ears them selves then glued them in with some 2 part epoxy.
lear1.jpg

lear2.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

Unfortunatly when I was useing the fostner bit to sink areas for my tnuts inside the bucket I went a little too far and actually ended up going all the way through the mandible. Nothing a little bondo won't fix though!
holesfix.jpg

Heres the inside of the bucket with the tnuts installed I made kind of a mess of the insdie of the bucket with the epoxy but its not big deal because I am planning on painting the inside anyway.
tnuts1.jpg

tnuts2.jpg

tnuts3.jpg

tnuts4.jpg

After some more sanding I finally threw a coat of primer on the bucket. Its actually starting to look like a good bucket! I still need to do some more finish sanding and a little bit more filling here and there but it will soon, and finally, be ready for paint!
primer.jpg

You can see here the hole repair went pretty well.
holefix_primer.jpg

I have made quite a mess in my new apartment. It feels good to have that kind of freedom. My fiance probably wouldnt be too happy, but lucky for me she isnt moving in till next month :D

mess.jpg

I have also been working on another bucket that I'll post over in the "appropriate forum" in a little while.

jango3.jpg

I can't do layered :( I seem to have failed at mastering the liquid masking fluid

I just had a thought. Do you think one would be able to paint over rub n buff? I think that'd look sweet having a rnb base.

HOW did I miss this update???? NICE WORK ROB!!!(y):eek:

Love the teenut on the RS ears, great Idea...AWESOME work bro!(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! an update!

Ive been crazy busy with work the past few weeks(80+ hour weeks) So I have had zero time to work on anything Fett related. This update covers my first attempt at getting the base colors onto my bucket.

Fist I coated the whole thing down with a coat of bright silver. I let that dry for a good 24 hours and then I started to trace on damage and apply masking fluid:
liquidmask1.jpg

liquidmask2.jpg

liquidmask3.jpg

After the liquid mask dried I put on 2 coats of POG green:
pog1.jpg

pog2.jpg

After the pog green was dry I then masked off the mandibles and painted on the caboose. When the caboose dried I hand painted the prr brunswick green on the checks.

Unfortunately the masking tape I used ended up pulling up a lot of the pog green. and didn’t do a great job on the cheek areas. Here is the results with the liquid mask removed:
all_problems_1.jpg

all_problems_2.jpg

all_problems_3.jpg

I attempted to do some cleaning up of the areas that had paint pulled up but ended up screwing up the evenness of the pog coat. This weekend I plan to strip it all down to primer and start over. Its a learning process so I don’t mind. There are more buckets in my future so I want to make sure I do as much learning and make as many mistakes as possible on the first one.

Just wanted to say that this post definately helped me out a lot as far as cutting the t-visor and getting the small details on the keyholes, both thanks to you and batninja's.

I do have a question though...I recently used that same fiberglass repair kit on the inside of my Sgt. Fang, and got done at about 2 am. Its now 5:30 PM and while most of it is hard, there are a few "gooey" areas that are raised and remain sticky. Does it take a full 24 hours to dry? Also, I put on about 2 coats of fiberglass material on (should I have put more)

Perhaps its the fact that I left this to dry in my ventilated kitchen and it was raining outside, thus it wasn't very warm out. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Just wanted to say that this post definately helped me out a lot as far as cutting the t-visor and getting the small details on the keyholes, both thanks to you and batninja's.

I do have a question though...I recently used that same fiberglass repair kit on the inside of my Sgt. Fang, and got done at about 2 am. Its now 5:30 PM and while most of it is hard, there are a few "gooey" areas that are raised and remain sticky. Does it take a full 24 hours to dry? Also, I put on about 2 coats of fiberglass material on (should I have put more)

Perhaps its the fact that I left this to dry in my ventilated kitchen and it was raining outside, thus it wasn't very warm out. Any help would be great. Thanks.

It doesn't take 24 hours for resin to dry because it doesn't "dry". It cures by a chemical reaction. It is REALLY temperature dependent so if it is cold outside I always set it in front of a space heater. That will generally get the resin to bite and cure. Don't get it too close though!!

I notice that there are some parts that are truly hard and are a light khaki/brown color, and those strips are more towards the bottom (opening) of the helmet. But the strips that are on the dome part are a greenish/blue color and are sticky. Did I completely mess this up, or would it be alright to take a blowdryer and heat cure it?

I'm back people. After a long lay off a failed relationship and a cross country move I'm finally back and I plan on starting up this thread and my work on the fett again. :D

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back