Weathering and Dark Washing...

I love those vid's.
For myself i find weather to be an art in it's self too. I like to do it in lots of layers with a combination of techniques.
I have used coffee ground and hot water to great success. Also a sucker with my airbrush. I have an old Tamiya portable airbrush I like to use for weathering.
I have also used dish liquid mixed with water, works the same way as Windex but not as fast at drying..
Also I like to use scrunched up paper, which i use to give a random stippling effect in selected areas. Done after a mild wash and helps to create a more random texture than wiping off, which I also do.

Lou, do you use a similar technique for weathering the soft parts as well? or is a different method used?

For soft parts i just use the krylon black primer primarily. Sometimes ill use a touch of the grey primer or "ruddy brown" as well to get color variation. On the ESB suit, i never really saw much brown dirt on it so i just used the black primer and a touch of the grey here and there on mine.

For Fett hard parts i do what i mentioned above, because his gear looks more "sooty" to me than gunked up type of dirty.

But for other things i tend to use acrylics with varying amounts of water, all the way down to dry brushing to get the look im after. For example, on clone trooper helmets i use raw umber, fairly watered down, and just get a good coating over the whole helmet and just lightly dab the higher spots with a paper towel. I will repeat this process until im happy with the look. Then, with a lightly dampened brush dab the same color into the crevasses and corners and then dab/wipe with a paper towel and repeat. I will sometimes use a little burnt sienna with it in the corners to get a rusty look going. This is how i did this Shocktrooper helmet:
DSCN1729_zpsafwktbti.gif

DSCN1734_zps4d7icrxb.gif

DSCN1730_zpsrkpqcfz0.gif

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back