Transferring stencils

trmee001

Hunter
Good morning everybody!
Do you know that burning pain in your hand when you try to push every little detail from your stencils through the transferpaper on to the curves of your helmet :-D?
For that reason , I try to figure out alternativ ways to do that.
I was thinking about matrix paper for tattoos for example. But there you need to wet the surface...
Maybe some of you veterans got some tricks ?

Stay save ,

Tristan

I've been printing the stencils on very thin tracing paper which is a bit easier to manage around the curves of the helmet and also allows for visibility through the stencil to the already completed tracing on the helmet. Hand still gets sore but it's a bit better and more accurate than plain white paper...

I've never tried this but AFFOD used waterslide decals for several commissions. I think he did sell them at one point, but having them made yourself using the templates probably would not be difficult or expensive.

Thanks my friends for the quick response! that waterdecals are very interesting! I wonder if you see the thickness underneath the paint.
DennisFett1142
That's a great idea. How the stencil is transferred to the helmet ? With the printer ink ?

Thanks my friends for the quick response! that waterdecals are very interesting! I wonder if you see the thickness underneath the paint.
DennisFett1142
That's a great idea. How the stencil is transferred to the helmet ? With the printer ink ?
Unfortunately you still have to use transfer paper and trace the stencil outlines. The tracing paper just makes it a lot easier to verify where you're tracing once you're working beyond the first stencil layer...

Unfortunately you still have to use transfer paper and trace the stencil outlines. The tracing paper just makes it a lot easier to verify where you're tracing once you're working beyond the first stencil layer...

Ah, now I got it! Thanks mate, that I have to try !

I think there's a misunderstanding, which is fair enough, because this didn't make sense to me at first. You should ask AFFOD for the definitive, but my understanding is this:

The basic helmet colours get laid down, e.g. dome and cheeks green, upper cheeks black, red trim in DH10 caboose, and so on. My understanding is that the base colour for this process will generally be the colour that covers the largest area, so the back panels would be RLM73.

The stencils are sized to the helmet.

The stencils, once sized, are used to create water slide decals. The decals, when complete will be perfectly scaled for the helmet.

The decals are created in black, on a clear background.

The decals are cut out, as precisely as is reasonable, and applied directly to the helmet - this gives a black shadow in the shape of the desired layer.

The paint is applied, I believe AFFOD uses a topical method, directly over the black shadow in the desired colour.

This process should not involve tracing onto the helmet. At least, that is my understanding. If you ask him, AFFOD may be able to advise you.

I've tagged him below; it's his method so he will be able to tell you best. He's done some impressive painting over the years, which is why you'll see many of his threads are paint commissions.

AFettFullofDollars

Yes, to be clear when I am referring to doing the stencils it's in order to use masking fluid to mask what bottom color will remain when I put the next color on. So, for an ESB dome for example, I lay down silver, then dark grey then the green. I'll have to check out the decal approach...

That's two awesome methods! Thanks for that's tips. The layering method with some topical paint is my favorite I think.
I will now try something that superjedi wrote in one of his painting threads :
I will print the stencil on some tracingpaper, then draw the lines on the reverse side of the paper and than rub the pencil lines on to the helmet.
Is it the same you mean ?
And finally I get that tracingpaper and transferpaper are two different things in English :-D

That's two awesome methods! Thanks for that's tips. The layering method with some topical paint is my favorite I think.
I will now try something that superjedi wrote in one of his painting threads :
I will print the stencil on some tracingpaper, then draw the lines on the reverse side of the paper and than rub the pencil lines on to the helmet.
Is it the same you mean ?
And finally I get that tracingpaper and transferpaper are two different things in English :-D
That's a heck of an idea if you can get the pencil lines to transfer. The other trick is to decide whether you want to magic erase all of the lines off the helmet or mask off just inside the lines so that the paint covers them. Interested to hear how it goes and good luck!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back