The Death of TDH... and other forums

Maybe we can introduce a touch of "random" here.

Perhaps start a thread titled, "Chat here about anything (within TDH guidelines) "

Then we can post random stuff. Embrace the foolish and random. It is a break from
the humdrum and a needed relief sometimes.

Just another note... I don't actually think TDH is literally dying at this moment. There is some decline... but I am trying to look further out and see what the future will hold and how we can begin to set the infrastructure to support that future. I think some of you are taking this as me declaring TDH's death knell, but my point in making this post is that I have seen in the past where a group holds on to the "old ways" too tightly and ends up becoming obsolete. I do not want this for TDH. I see that such a thing is possible and am interesting in discussing ways in which this might be avoided. How can TDH serve you as well as new users now and in the future?

Hey Art,

Do you see an ongoing trend in the number of posts per 100 days or so? Like is it repeating itself again in another 3 or 4 months or longer? Also, is there a correlation between people finishing their Fett projects and the decline in the number of posts? I think that after people are finished with their Fett costumes or projects, they tend to not post as much as they used to. Just my opinion on the matter.

I'm with Fettpride and am going to "stick it to the man"... now gather your stuff bro so we can go take down Skynet :lol:. If I need to contact someone I either send them an email or preferably call them. Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem with those sites and think that the technology advancement's are incredible. However, it's just not my cup of tea.

On another note, Social Networking sites are on a diferent playing field then forums, sites like Myspace and Twitter do not take members away from a costuming forum like this one. A forum has little similarities to a site like Twitter or Facebook. If Joe plans to build a Fett costume, then Joe has to come here, Myspace isnt going to give him much help.

I would blaim a couple thing's on the decline of participation, one being the economy like others have mentioned along with what is currently happening with the Star Wars franchise. When people are excited about Star Wars, whether that be in a release of a game or show series, then more people will start to come around. Nothing this year had to do with any of the Fetts which does not help. I have a good feeling that when people see the Rubies Fett being advertised fans will search the term "Fett costume" more and will come across this site. But like everything else that will be just another wave on the graph.

On another note, Social Networking sites are on a diferent playing field then forums, sites like Myspace and Twitter do not take members away from a costuming forum like this one. A forum has little similarities to a site like Twitter or Facebook. If Joe plans to build a Fett costume, then Joe has to come here, Myspace isnt going to give him much help.

Do you really think this is the case? I agree, you can't get good Fett info from Twitter, but my assessment has been that when forums were the predominent forms of online communication, people came here not only for fett info but to chat as well and do the whole "community" thing, because they had few other venues to do it. Now that the community thing has been ceased by sites like Facebook, those who aren't actively working on a Fett project are more likely to go to Facebook to do their community thing than coming to a site like this. Why would we want people to do their social networking here? Because inevitably it draws them back in to props and they find more projects to work on which makes them post more... blah blah...

I would think in a way, Twitter and Facebook is to TDh what TDH is to the RPF... we took people away from the RPF because they could come here instead of the RPF for their Fett needs because we met those needs better than the RPF did.

Hey, I haven't been on TDH much, yet I certainly haven't forgotten about this place. places like Myspace, etc aren't as great as they're made out to be. I just use it to keep in contact with some old friends, etc. I just haven't been on TDH because I have more important things to do. I like this place and I'll try to pop in every now and then.

Looks like it started dropping right after the addition of the Clone section.
Just an observation.

:lol:lol::lol:

I think we got a new president about the same time... but I am not seeing a corolation between either... Of course some might consider the social networking thing to not be the cause either. Honestly, I think that there are a lot of factors that are contributing to the decline, but I don't think the clone forum is one of them. Considering that the post count in that forum is as high as it is in as short an amount of time as it has been around makes me believe it has been at least a moderate success. If anyone has left or posted less due to the clone forum, I haven't heard about it. Now that other forum about Zam.... that is the forum full of troublemakers!!! :lol:lol:

It seems like a few more well known member have stopped posting regularly and they usually had alot to contribute, which gets everyone hyped and talking. Also there aren't many good build threads right now either. No new finds. Not many trooping pictures. As weird as this sounds, when FP wasn't around the first time the board died down alot. Then he came back the boards def picked up alot. Now he's not really around and it seems like it's died down. Same with spideyfett. No idea why it happens but it does. . Also it seems like TDH has stopped trying to do stuff for cons and getting it's name out there. Before TDH tried doing the add in insider and was at the major cons but it seems like that's died down. Have the admins given up for now? I still come on here every day though cause I'll always have the passion for fett and my suit.

We have had a lot of big names come and go over the years. Go look at the Member's list and sort by most posts.... and see how many of those top posters still actively post. We will always have people who at one time contributed in a large way move on to other things in their life. Despite that, we have continued to grow. Granted there are some who rally more responses than others and you are right, some of those have fallen away lately.

In regard to TDH promoting itself, the Insider Ad was certainly a blow. In addition, by going to a new server that was MUCH more expensive, most of our $$$ (which come mainly through the generous donations of TDH members) is spent for the server. If you will remember, a little over a year ago, we were in a nightmare of a situation with our server and the board was painfully slow. Thanks to stormtrooperguy, we are now on a blazingly fast server with plenty of room for future expansion, but it doesn't come for free.

One of the reasons TDH isn't "out there more" is that members aren't volunteering. The last time we were at Dragon Con it was a nightmare trying to get volunteers for the table. The same was the case for Comic Con. TDH will have a table at Comic Con this year, but I wonder how hard it will be to fill time slots...

The biggest problem I see was recently explained to me by a friend who said that the huge burden of the upkeep of a place like TDH always falls on a very limited number of shoulders while a mass of individuals enjoy it, few offer to help.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but there are TONS of opportunities that we don't take advantage of due to a lack of interest and a lack of everyone's willingness to pitch in.

The economy has been bad here as well. Our government has only now acknowledged we are in a recession. I haven't had any work since December and thus my time has been spent looking for work so I can start my general grievous costume and keep a roof over our heads. I'm old school as well and don't really like the facebook thing. However being a private investigator facebook is an awesome tool for finding out about people and their habits/hobbies! These sites do 40% of my work for me! But I digress......I will always be a part of TDH as I like the people here and I can relate to most. I think that is the key.

The biggest problem I see was recently explained to me by a friend who said that the huge burden of the upkeep of a place like TDH always falls on a very limited number of shoulders while a mass of individuals enjoy it, few offer to help.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but there are TONS of opportunities that we don't take advantage of due to a lack of interest and a lack of everyone's willingness to pitch in.

This is a big one, because supporting your community does not mean just upping your post count in the community. Communities such as TDH are not commodities, they are privileges that a small hand-full of people commit themselves to help succeed while others partake with minimum or no effort to help return the favor.

I'm gonna be pretty blunt here, but anyone who has the chance/opportunity to help out TDH and has not is part of the problem. So when you ask the question about why TDH isn't representing here or there, then look no further than the mirror if you have had the chance to help and haven't.

TDH is here for you, but it's here for you because you want to help it be here for others to. 75% of the posters here don't realize this or don't care, and thats doing a disservice to the 25% helping support the place.

I agree that it is a mixture of a lot of things, but I don't think forums will go away anytime soon. In my case, I have had no money to spend on my costume (partly do to economy). Another big issue for me is that there is really no big opportunity to go trooping. There have been zero local events and very few that are within driving distance, so I can't do as much with my Fett, thus I visit and post less.

I really don't know how to improve on what TR 4059 said:

TR 4059 said:

Forums like TDH serve a different purpose than Social Networking sites like Facebook or Twitter. Dare I say that Wikipedia/Wookiepedia isn't going to be much of a help to "Joe" either. Sure... you can list all the parts of a costume, and even give some advice on how to do such-n-such... but sometimes you can get stuck. Where do you go then? What if you don't have any "friends" to ask on Facebook or Myspace who know the exact colors and amount of paint needed for Boba's helmet? Then what?

I don't think forums like TDH will necessarily die because of social networking sites. Not if they evolve and serve the needs of the community.

The primary issue has been the economy. People don't have the money to spend. We have seen in my community, the cancellation of popular annual events, that you would have never thought would have been impacted, in arguably one of the wealthiest communities in the country. These tough economic times are forcing everybody to re-evaluate the cost living, what is most important to them, and striking balance in what will undoubtly be a major change away from mass consumerism. Time has become precious again, our friends and family in the realm of real life have become important again. It's a shift in priorities on a large scale.

With that being said, this is why Twitter and Facebook have been growing expotentialy. They are the simplest ways to stay tied to your sphere. And, I believe these invaluable formats can only enhance forums such as this one. Plus, there is a huge movement of people, such as myself, who have simplified our online lives. I made the choice to stay here, on Facebook, and now Myspace just for music and costume buddies. I was on 17 plus forums over a period of 4 years, and alot of that added to pure duplicity. Today I am only on the 3 online "destinations" I just mentioned. I got my life back and it's has been great.

What's happening is, is that people are having to ween themselves from over 2 decades of credit induced decadance. Credit became a second source of income for a majority; and now people are forced to not only save, but cease the use of credit all together. That's why banks aren't lending too, they need you to save to bolster their balance sheets. It's a double wammy to the free market. It will take time for this recaliberation to cycle, and as a result forums of all types of interest will reflect this shift. CGClone hit it on the head too. We are just another real-time litmus test of the bigger overall picture.

And on another note, me personally, I am sick of Star Warsing (but I am still gonna make armored costumes and party at cons, time permitting) I have gotten rid of most of it in the last few months, only keeping my most prized possessions. I just finally "OH-DEED"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice wording RS, great points of view.

One thing to take note. Its in these times that these greatest inventions, reinventions and innovations are created. Who knows what tech could evolve from here, in social networking, etc.

vBulletin 4 beta should be out in the next month as well! I know that probably doesn't excite most of you, but there are a LOT of innovations I am looking forward to!

I must say my heart sank initially when I read the thread title.....

I am pretty new to TDH but have been welcomed with open arms. It has been a phenomenal experience so far researching and interacting with all the talented people here from around the globe. Sounds a lot like social networking....

This is an expensive and time consuming hobby. With this in mind, during a recession, priorities change to necessities and supporting one's immediate family. This is completely understandable. I, for one, have become totally immersed in the process of building up a SE Fett. It is a welcome escape and I am thoroughly enjoying every minute.

I do have a Facebook account. Truth of the matter is, after you catch up with old high school friends, what else is there? Anyone that truly matters to me I can call or see in person. There was talk of Facebook selling people's personal information as they own it. The outcry was so huge that they recanted. It is only a matter of time until they revisit this option.....I am rarely on Facebook now, but on TDH at least once of day....

I do not have much to offer to the community at this point. I hope that as time goes by and my costume and knowledge base increases I can contribute more. At this point I would be willing to become a donor to keep this fantastic site alive. I also hope to volunteer at conventions and other local events. I think one has to be willing to give back to a community that has given so much.

Thanks Art for the site. Thank everyone else for the experience thus far. I look forward to what the future holds. Trust that I'll be along for the ride.

Do you really think this is the case? I agree, you can't get good Fett info from Twitter, but my assessment has been that when forums were the predominent forms of online communication, people came here not only for fett info but to chat as well and do the whole "community" thing, because they had few other venues to do it. Now that the community thing has been ceased by sites like Facebook, those who aren't actively working on a Fett project are more likely to go to Facebook to do their community thing than coming to a site like this. Why would we want people to do their social networking here? Because inevitably it draws them back in to props and they find more projects to work on which makes them post more... blah blah...

I hear what your saying. I just don't think we have alot of members that are here that come just to chat, and have no intentions to get involved in any sort of Fett/Zam/Mando project. We all have one thing in common and that is our love for one or more of the above characters. So far no social networking site has been able to match on a group to group basis what a forum has been able to achieve on a specific intrest, whether that be research, people to help you if you run into a problem during your build and also a place for vendors to sell certain items that you cannot find anywhere else. Even if you lose the people here just for the community atmosphere, there will always be someone needing a place to discuss and find out more on how to build their costume.

Sidebar: TCF is closing down because the site owners didn't want to run it anymore / didn't want to hand it over to anyone else either.

Well, it's not just that....There's quite a large backstory on why TCF is closing. However, I can't go into detail.

As for TDH....I realy can't put this in a nice way, there are LOTS of great people here, TONS to be exact. :p However, there's a few people here, and on other sites, who I won't mention by name, that just bother me. I don't think they're very friendly, I don't think they're helpful, and I just don't like them. And to be totaly honest, I've been staying off of certain boards/forums/threads because I can't stand these certain people. I've talked to a few web friends, and they feel the same way about these specific few people. They even went to say they were down right rude when they met them in person.

I don't meen this in a....Let me think...In a "bad" way, but I for one have been avoiding certain places on the web because of these people. This doesn't account for a decline I'm sure, but for me personaly, it meens not posting as much in certain places. :facepalm

But overall, I'm guessing activity goes in phases. It picks up when cons come around, certain holidays,etc. I don't think I'd be worried about TDH "closing" to much right about now. Just look how active this thread is. :lol:

Hey guys,

Art, glad you brought this up...Good points all around too guys.

The key word here is "INNOVATION" :rolleyes

When times are tough the competitiveness of any company or small business can grind to a screeching halt, it's focus then is on price. It's no different with TDH, myself Man of War Studios, FettPride or anyone else who offers a product or service. A sudden or gradual withdraw of competitiveness can then give way to Innovation. That goes for TDH, Man of War Studios, FettPride. We need more innovative ideas. Most of you guys remember the early 80's..Think innovation and the buzz will come back exponentially!

Here's an update:

My new classic, version II Jet Pack molds will finally be completed this weekend...Look for new Jet Pack photos here on TDH sometime in the next week or 2.

As for innovation...Well I have something monstrous coming out this summer, 2 years in the making...and Art, "You and I need to have a long conversation when the time comes that could potentially effect the futures of both TDH as well as Man of War Studios in the years to come".

Lets all do more...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back