**TDH Exclusive** Real Boba Fett helmet casting

Well, thanks for the lead in to how I shot Lee's helmet....

For those members interested in the technical aspects of this shoot, I shot this with 2 cameras: a digital camera (Canon Pro 90 IS) and a professional 35mm (Minolta 9). With the digital camera, I set the zoom to the equivalent of a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera and shot at ISO 100 in RAW mode. This (50mm equivalent) is considered the "normal" focal length, which most closely approximates the angle of coverage the human eye sees. With the 35mm were shot with a 90mm Sigma macro lens, which has more of a telephoto effect on the helmet. I chose that lens as it is an extremely sharp macro lens for good close-ups. The film was Fuji NPC professional {prints}, ISO 160. I scanned the negatives with a Cannon 4000 film scanner, although my monitor is not color calibrated so I had a hard time getting the colors right. }

It was mentioned that a short explanation on focal lengths might be useful to the board. Although I am no expert, please allow me to share a brief explanation as to how focal length affects images. The focal length of the lens used, along with the distance to the subject, is critical in how the image will appear on film. Varying either of these will create different looking results as to how the subject appears. Angles can change so significantly that 1 object (say a Fett helmet) shot with 2 dramatically different focal lengths (say 28mm versus a 200mm) can appear to be different helmets (although obviously very similar).

This can be tested by anyone with a camera with a zoom lens. Put your object (helmet) on a raised object with even lighting (outdoors in the shade is a good start). Shoot the helmet with as wide an angle as your zoom will allow, and FILL the viewfinder with the helmet so there is no space between the helmet and the edges of the viewfinder. This adjustment is made by getting closer or further away from the helmet. Now, shoot the same helmet zooming your lens to it's most telephoto setting, moving further back so the helmet fills the viewfinder exactly the same as the first shot. Print both photos and view side by side. You should see quite a difference in the appearance of the helmet. The difference is more apparent when your zoom has a bigger range.

Again, thanks Lee for the chance to shoot your great score!}

:eek: Just amazing that Lee got this piece. And we will have a peek on that cast at Dragon*Con! YOOHOO! (y)

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Ay, I would kill for a helmet cast of that. Nothing better then an authentic helmet, am I right? Oh well, maybe someone will come across another mold if there is one. Perhaps if someone knows how to contact the maker of the Jango Fett helmet......I dunno, I'm next to desperate for a helmet at this point.

-tubachris

It would be soo great to see a size by size secuence of pics comparing this helmet with the MS3... both in the sames pics. :$.

I know. But this is history. Well, there can be ways around it...like sculpting a model VERY VERY close to it. I'd pay a lot for that. Or I would just pay a lot for what is pictured here.

I would have to say that at least half the people on this board own a "Mystery" helmet that in part has roots in a recast of the origonal so that would be a lot of people kicked off the sight if it was enforced for ownership of a copy of the origonal.

I think in the case of a recast of the origonal helmet, that is a different story. If you get the chance to safely copy the origonal, I dont blame you. If that helmet was privatly owned by an individual then this is different. But its property of lucus films.

I wont hate anyone who recasts that, and while were on the subject is the copy that Rouge has in his possesion that he posted pics of a while back a recast?

Ahh, I didnt know the back story to that... But that explains the point I was making, thats cool, if you obtain it from sombody who owns it, even if they didt do the sculpt, and by owns it I mean bought the mold... I still say its funny that most of us own at least in part an altered mystery helmet... thats 90º of Fett right there!

I wasnt calling any one recastings, just trying to define some of the grey ares in recasting.

Isn't that (above) in it's self a recast? I mean think about it. If for some reason I was George Lucas' son, and got permission to play with the Fett helmet, and decided to make a copy of it, I'd look like a bad guy here. But what's the difference between that, and what just transpired above?

I mean, I am by all means NOT accusing Rogue studios of recasting, or purchasing a recast, I am just curious as to what constitues "recasting" in a situation like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back