Superjedi's FPH2 for Postie

UPDATE: DAY 33

The weekend's here again so I can put in some time Fetting. :)

I got the left section of the band done a little while ago. This was done over several short sessions during the past few days.

IMG_3382_zpsuwg2vphm.jpg

IMG_3384_zpshztsy13a.jpg

I'll do the right section next, then it's on to the front parts!

stunningly beautiful work as usual Eric. @ Postie, just wait til you can gaze upon it...with your own eyes... trust me the magnificence comes to fruition once you are able to hold it in your hands and stare into the cold dark gaze of the visor. its nothing shy of surreal.

Sent from my R2 unit

Geez, thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words.
I've seen some pics of Postie's life size bust collection and he's got some top notch pieces. I hope this helmet will live up to his standards!

You're welcome, Col! Having a lot of fun with the paint up.

UPDATE: DAY 38

Lots of real life going on, but I'm making progress on the front parts of the band. I've gotten the left half complete.

IMG_3473_zpsgrrzc2bt.jpg

Working on a screen-used paint job is a matter of subtraction. All the fairly hi-res reference shots show the helmet as
it looks today. It has all that additional SE damage. So I compare the exhibit shots with screen caps to see what should
be "left off."

IMG_3475_zpsdvua5krr.jpg

On this part of the band, most of what is left off is small silver chips and scratches.
I'll work on the right half next.

UPDATE: DAY 39

OK, we've got the right half of the brow complete now.

IMG_3477_zpsqxm2pd1d.jpg

There's some good detail going on in this section even though it's a pretty small area.

IMG_3481_zpsdewq8qd6.jpg

So now that the parts above the visor cutout are done, the mandibles are next!

Thanks, man!

UPDATE: DAY 41

Cruising along. . .

Got the left mandible done. This is another section where I have to subtract the "incidental" damage that appears in the exhibit
photos. It's mostly silver chips and scratches that are on many places on the SE helmet.

IMG_3484_zpsvtxdbkt9.jpg

A couple of tiny details yet to be added, but I have to do some boring stuff like getting groceries. I mean, what's the point of that?? :lol:

Looking really good (y) (y) (y) and looks like you are almost done with it. Keep up the good work. I can now imagine what I have to do with mine :facepalm

UPDATE: DAY 46

Man, the time slips by during the week. . . :(

Over the past few days I've completed the horizontal part of the right mandible. This a deliciously dense area, with so many
tiny chips and scratches. In the pics you can see that my stencils are already applied to the vertical part of the mandible.
It won't take nearly as long to complete that portion!

IMG_3489_zps6x2guhcb.jpg

IMG_3486_zpszmq5oose.jpg

The final weathering passes, along with the "spatter" will slightly muddy up the appearance of the mandibles.
Getting there!

UPDATE: DAY 47

Big milestone today! This marks the end of all the "basic" painting on the helmet itself. I finished off the lower portion
of the right mandible, and the next steps will involve what I call the effects painting.

IMG_3491_zpsc22nyqbf.jpg

IMG_3493_zpsvxdifly6.jpg

The effects painting will consist of adding the pale contrasting gray that's scattered all over the helmet, doing the "fade" below the
killstripes, doing a tan/rust spatter, and adding those greasy looking stains on the back of the dome. Then of course there are the
ears to do. The ears have been base coated for weeks now, and I'll begin those during the week.

Thanks, Andy. :) The cheek crack is physically scratched into the surface. I made a template for it out of some
spare sheet styrene and use a scribing tool to make a thin simulated crack. Then I go back with some of the dark
color used on the cheek and touch it up.

UPDATE: DAY 48

Effects! I have a lot of fun doing the effects painting. It adds another level of character to the helmet. In this first pic,
I added the "smudge" that runs vertically above the RF ear. It's dry brushed on, with a couple of heavier patches.

IMG_3496_zpstrmks9i5.jpg

In this next series, there are several pairs of photos showing the pale contrasting gray. It shifts from almost unnoticeable
to readily visible depending on how the light hits it. I use RLM 76 gray for this.

First, the back panels. Sorry for the slightly blurry shot here.

IMG_3497_zpsuwwccj4n.jpg

IMG_3498_zpsjw7bzmhp.jpg

Next is the right mandible. There's a decent amount of the gray along the divide between the outer cheek
and the mandible, as well as on the part above the visor cutout.

IMG_3499_zpsgaqdcvjy.jpg

IMG_3500_zpslolbggme.jpg

Here's the dent.

IMG_3501_zpscffi1r1b.jpg

IMG_3503_zpsxq2tqvyz.jpg

Finally, I did the fade under the killstripes. I mix up some of the dome green with an acrylic silver to simulate the paint being
pulled up by masking tape, then touched up. In the first pic, it's almost invisible.

IMG_3504_zpshlt42sv8.jpg

But when the bucket is rotated slightly, it pops into view. It's a very nice effect.

IMG_3505_zps0ydz5mp5.jpg

Whew! So it's really close to being done now. All that's left are the grease stains and the spatter. I'll do those immediately
before I clearcoat at the very end of the project.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back