Star Wars in 3D it's official

For anyone who actually thinks the prequels are good AT ALL, I beg you to please, please watch this in its entirety.

YouTube - Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7)

George, I beg you...stop this stupid ****. You have already RUINED Star Wars. Please stop.

It's one person's personal opinion of the movie. People should be free to agree or disagree with him. It's shouldn't be mandatory that everyone in the planet must agree with this YouTube critic. While I detest Jar Jar Binks as much as everyone else, I don't agree with the majority of things as to what this self proclaimed critic on Star Wars has to say. (Also, why does this critic find it necessary to use four letter words frequently? I have to ask..What movies has this guy created...besides being famous for being a profanity laced overnight movie critic on YouTube?)

Remember when the 1st Star Wars movie came out back in 1977, many of the major movie critics trashed it, and some didn't think it would last long in the box office.

Here's a sample of the 1977 reviews of the 1st Star Wars from the Movie Critics back then:

1. Pauline Kael -The New Yorker:

"There’s no breather in the picture, no lyricism; the only attempt at beauty is in the double sunset."

2. Jonathan Rosenbaum -Chicago Reader

"None of these characters has any depth, and they're all treated like the fanciful props and settings."

3. Peter Keough-Boston Phoenix:

"Star Wars is a junkyard of cinematic gimcracks not unlike the Jawas' heap of purloined, discarded, barely functioning droids."

4. Stanley Kauffmann-The New Republic:

"His [Lucas's] work here seems less inventive than in THX 1138."

3D, Shmee Dee! I say, poop-can the prequels. 2 or 3d! As if the Special Editions weren't bad enough, we had to be bludgeoned with prequels. I agree with Chris (fettpride)..."focus on what MADE him in the first place for a change". Re-release the original trilogy in theaters it's original form. If it's about introducing Star Wars to a new generation, young children will be just as thrilled as us old folks were when we saw Star Wars in 1978. I saw the darn thing 38 times in theaters. No sneaking either. I bought a ticket each time! I'd do it again!

If we show it in the theatres today with the original unaltered 1977 version, the young children may watch it but many of the tweens or teenagers won't. While we love the original unaltered version for nostalgic reasons, many of teenagers today are going to see the original 1977 unaltered version as outdated, laughable and corny. I saw middle school & high school kids laughing, and criticizing as to how bad the special effects were when they saw Star Wars in it's original unaltered form, and not the Special Edition version. (When one girl saw the original unaltered version of the lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi, she said that it was "The lamest fight ever".)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'll take my son to see it on the big screen. Like it or not I want him to able to see it the way I did.

Sean

Totally agree...my son loves ALL Star Wars movies, cartoons, toys...everything. He is 7 now and hasn't lost the bug. I'm not all that excited about the rerelease in 3D; however, I love the idea that my son will be part of the "buzz" of going to see a Star Wars movie on the big screen like I did as a kid. And then when the buzz was over...having to wait patiently for the next one. Of course he has already seen all of them and he will be missing the anticipation of "what's going to happen?", but I still think he will be stoked about the waiting, lining up at midnight in costume, the crowd reaction in the theater, and of course all the merchandise that Lucas will flood the stores with.......It will be an experience for my youngest daughter who will be 3 years old when the first one comes out.

Sure 3d isn't what we expect, but it's STAR WARS, dudes! I'll go to the cinema just because of the movie, not because of the 3D tech. So, I think I best have to buy/make a stormtrooper/clone trooper/almost any star wars armor! I am SO gonna wear it to the movie!!! WAHOO!!

I must admit, while I disagree with the lucas money making machine and am an origional movie guy, I will go and see all of these again on the big screen because..........hey its star wars, and its on at the cinema.

I rarely come here but when I do, I read a thread like this and it restores my faith in humanity. I agree with all of the above that basically say "George? Stop. Please."

Sure would like to see Episode 7, 8 and 9 if he has that much time on his hands. ....and let someone else write it.

I guess it will be nice to have the opportunity to take my six year old to see the films in the theaters for the first time. Hopefully they will offer non 3D showings as well like they do with the new release 3D movies.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back