Sintra vs ABS

syntra is cheap and easy to cut, i made all my armor with this and template...you can see my threads #28 the results http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/boba-fett-esb-continues-52295/index2.html?highlight=continues
they sell it in various m2 sheets size and with heat you can modify the shape.

i don't know good ABS but i never saw in shops in sheets because i think (can be wrong) that normally asb is used in casting molds, and that's means that you have to make a master, a molds and after the copy in ABS and so this is expensive.

Sintra is great as long as you don't need to do compound curves. I found that in hind sight, I may have been better off buying all my armor from RedKaytDragon instead of trying to make it all myself. I eventually gave up on the backplate and ordered from RKD. I couldn't be happier.

Queso

syntra is cheap and easy to cut, i made all my armor with this and template...you can see my threads #28 the results http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/boba-fett-esb-continues-52295/index2.html?highlight=continues
they sell it in various m2 sheets size and with heat you can modify the shape.

i don't know good ABS but i never saw in shops in sheets because i think (can be wrong) that normally asb is used in casting molds, and that's means that you have to make a master, a molds and after the copy in ABS and so this is expensive.

I'll check your thread out man, but yeah Abs can come in sheets and can be used for cosplay as well.
Pretty sure it's a tad more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Sintra is great as long as you don't need to do compound curves. I found that in hind sight, I may have been better off buying all my armor from RedKaytDragon instead of trying to make it all myself. I eventually gave up on the backplate and ordered from RKD. I couldn't be happier.

Queso

Was it only the back piece you had trouble with?

Was it only the back piece you had trouble with?

It was tricky to get the curves right on all the pieces, but the backplate is the one I couldn't get to work at all. It was fun making the parts myself, but I think it would have been cheaper in the long run to buy from RKD. It takes a while to get everything cut out (templates, sintra), then glue the extra bits along the edges to make it appear thicker, sand the edges smooth, heat the material to get all the curves, then heat it again to put in the dents. I probably spent 4 or 5 days messing with the backplate alone. At $75 from RKD, it was a no-brainer to scrap it and buy from him.

Good luck with your project

Queso

It was tricky to get the curves right on all the pieces, but the backplate is the one I couldn't get to work at all. It was fun making the parts myself, but I think it would have been cheaper in the long run to buy from RKD. It takes a while to get everything cut out (templates, sintra), then glue the extra bits along the edges to make it appear thicker, sand the edges smooth, heat the material to get all the curves, then heat it again to put in the dents. I probably spent 4 or 5 days messing with the backplate alone. At $75 from RKD, it was a no-brainer to scrap it and buy from him.

Good luck with your project

Queso

The only problem is postage costs to me down in Australia, I've heard Abs is a better material for armour. But I'm honestly not 100% sure of the differences, when I buy either I'll make a build thread for sure.

Thanks man.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back