Sideshow 1/4 scale helmet repaint for JB Dubz

Geez guys. . . thanks. :) I enjoy a challenge, and I think working in 1/4 scale certainly fits the bill!

Now this comp doesn't show the helmet at the same angle, but I think it's a good example of how the shapes and proportions
of the damage can really affect the overall look of the helmet. The left pic is from Jeremy's original thread.

Kitten%20scratch_zpsoozvbutt.jpg

Even ignoring the color differences, you can see that the original markings weren't quite placed correctly. The silver "hump" just in front of
the RF ear is a little too far forward, and the cat scratch (excuse me, kitten scratch) was a little too big and was angled too steeply.
Additionally, the two big silver chips on the right cheek were placed too far back and were a touch oversized.

Moving on around the dome.

I did the area above the kitten scratch, the area above the turn signals, and. . . the dent! :)
It's getting trickier the higher I get from the red band. The reason, again, is the odd sculpt. The proportions are
just not quite right compared to a full size helmet, so I'm having to kind of split the difference between the places
where I know the damage should be, and where it has to be.

Here's a view of the front area.

IMG_4264_zpsuexcqc3q.jpg

The dent (dentlet? dentette? hold me closer tiny denter? :lol:)

IMG_4266_zpstkp2dauc.jpg

Finally, another view showing the streak.

IMG_4267_zpskmxqszlg.jpg

More tiny madness ahead!

And. . . I'm dead. . . :lol:

Whew, this was a killer. One thing to consider when using really fine brushes is that they barely hold any paint.
So multiple dips are required for even the smallest details. I was literally holding my breath while I was painting these.
Here are a couple of views.

IMG_4268_zps2oioahql.jpg

I used two very small strips of blue painters tape--one below, and one above the stripes--to mark the upper
and lower boundaries. Some faint pencil lines helped to get the spacing, and then they were very
carefully painted by hand.

IMG_4271_zpsphklshx0.jpg

I'm going on vacation now. :p :wacko

Thanks, guys. :)

I got some more work done today. I did the big scrape across the top of the dome, the remaining damage around the killstripe
area, and added some fine scratches. Here's the big scrape.

IMG_4275_zpsbaddrfvr.jpg

This is the damage around the killstripes, including the Scottie puppy. :lol:

IMG_4272_zpswdrhhspg.jpg

Finally, some fine scratches on the back of the dome.

IMG_4274_zpscl4abxam.jpg

It's nearly there now! I'm going to attempt to do the fade under the killstripes, and some final weathering.

Complete! :)

The last bits of detailing went pretty quickly. I added the "fade" under the killstripes, detailed the RF topper with some flecks
of silver, added some rust stains to the RF stalk, and did some pastel weathering. Everything was sealed with a clear coat a
little while ago, and here's a selection of final pics.

IMG_4277_zpsb6pzim44.jpg

Above, you can see the fade under the stripes, as well as the blast residue coming back from the dent. There's also
some sutble pastel weathering applied to the dome and cheeks just to dirty things up a bit.

IMG_4279_zpsy9jtycve.jpg

I did the slight orange color shift on the back portion of the killstripes. Again, it's subtle, but it's there! The
network of very fine scratches on the dome is coming into view as well.

IMG_4281_zpsspkgilv2.jpg

The rear view shows those fine scratches a little better. You can see some of the detailing on the RF and RF stalk
here, too. I actually added the pale contrasting gray on the rear panels. . . but it's hard to pick up at this angle.

IMG_4283_zpsieeqrm8m.jpg

The RF ear with the newly detailed arch. I shortened it so it no longer extends all the way to the silver part, and added
the tiny black scratch in the white portion. More rust stains on the RF stalk here, too.

IMG_4284_zpslffvyd95.jpg

Back around to the front again, with the kitten scratch in all its glory. :lol: Plus more pastel "grunge"
on the cheek.

Even though these are completed pics, there's still one more tiny detail I need to work on. I'm going
to add a tiny "Polaroid lens" to the RF topper before I send the helmet back to Jeremy, and I'll leave it
up to him to post some pics once he has the helmet installed on his statue.

This was extremely challenging, yet fun at the same time. Hope you enjoy it J-man! (y)

absolutely glorious. i bet if you removed any wording on the thread that this is a quarter scale bucket, no one would even question that it is 100% wearable. the back panels shift from green to blue to green just like my FPH2. the check mark, finger smudge, the scratches, the fade, the CRACK lol everything has been captured in the exact same perfection. seriously thank you for helping me turn the Sideshow shenannigans into something i'm rather stoked to display.

Sent from my R2 unit

Sorry for the delay E, finally got around to taking some comparison pics ! It's been a minute since I held my FPH2, I just have to say, every time I pick up this helmet, I am overcome with amazement like a kid walking into Disneyland for the first time. Oh yeah, back to the comparison photos post lol Seriously, identical, amazing. The pictures don't quite capture the way the back panels shift from green to blue but the 1/4 scale behaves just like the full size in all aspects. Incredible. I hope these do the justice your talent deserves...
DSC01005.jpgDSC01006.jpgDSC01007.jpg2.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back