Sideshow 1/4 scale helmet repaint for JB Dubz

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
No rest for the wicked. . . ;) I just finished a full size ESB helmet for Grifter and thought I'd "scale down" for a bit.
I'm working on a Sideshow PF 1/4 scale helmet for JB Dubz. I'll be doing it topically, just like my regular sized
commissions. I didn't take any before pics, but I'm sure many of you are familiar with how it looks straight from
Sideshow. The production version was. . . somewhat lacking compared to the prototype pics, which looked great.

I began by re-base coating the whole helmet. I'm using my standard ESB color palette on this one.

IMG_4231_zpsfrmytgfp.jpg

The only sprayed color is the dome/cheek green. Everything else is being done with fine detail brushes. I'm using
a size 18/0 and a size 20/0 for this one. It's gonna be an eye crosser! LOL

IMG_4232_zpseekpaua1.jpg

For some reason, Sideshow included the 2 dental files in the keyslots. I shaved them off with a sharp X-acto blade.

IMG_4233_zps8xauyk4r.jpg

Even the ears are getting repainted. I'm painting around the existing markings. On the RF ear, the black arch went
all the way to the bare silver, so I shortened it up.

IMG_4234_zpslbhfhcrq.jpg

I haven't begun detailing yet, but on the left ear I'll include the chipping on the white arch. Notice that the ear is a slightly
contrasting green compared to the dome/cheeks, just like on the real deal.

Much more to come!

Whew! This thing is tiny. . .

Got the beige done on the rear panels. I'm using a 20/0 spotter brush.

IMG_4236_zpsdw9ukd7s.jpg

The patterns might look a bit compressed. That's due to the helmet sculpt. I had to resize the templates to make
everything conform to the shapes of the panels. But all the detail is there. :)

IMG_4238_zpsjxtisns5.jpg

Gray and silver are up next.

Here's where the fun begins. . . ;)

The rear panels are finished. I used some of my usual Polly Scale and Floquil paints to do the gray and silver, and
those colors will carry over onto the other sections of the helmet, too.

IMG_4241_zpsrjmrytvz.jpg

IMG_4242_zps950hkr8n.jpg

I'll probably continue working on the red areas on this part of the helmet before I move around to the front.

Eric,

That is looking great. When things settle down, I do plan to repaint mine as well.

hey Robert, PM me any ideas you have for extracting the armor. im thinking topical is the only solution which could jeopardize the vest with any mishaps.

More progress. :)

I temporarily reassembled the helmet and did the red band. This is another part of the sculpt that's a little out of proportion.
The band is reeeeeeally thin, but that 20/0 brush really helps to pinpoint the fine markings.

IMG_4255_zpsjftosf1x.jpg

IMG_4256_zpsup8j7zu4.jpg

Here's the front.

IMG_4258_zpshphbd2du.jpg

IMG_4257_zpsjwq3ihuy.jpg

I also began some of the dome detailing. I started at the back, like I always do.

IMG_4260_zps79bynedr.jpg

Then I moved around the RF ear and started on the front. This is way too small to be called a cat scratch, so
I'm going to call it the kitten scratch! :lol:

IMG_4261_zps9stfnv2m.jpg

I'll keep working around the dome from here.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back