Scratch-made Helmet - Pics and Updates

MAAAAAAAAAAAN!! your kid is going to have a better suit than me!!!

But it's all good, I'm happy with my cheapy jodo kast look.

Excellent work!!

wow! I have to say that is incredible! (y) Great work all round, i'd love to make my own bucket but alas i am not skilled anough :facepalm Again really good work (y)

Have you decided if you are going to sell one of these bad boys yet. I am finishing my daughters Boba Fett and am running into a possible dilema with the helmet. Either i use a rotocast vinal helmet that is smashed(looks like boba after a bad accident) or a 2 piece jango that is way to large for her. She is 6. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appriciate it. I have neither the time or SKILL to fabricate one from scratch but I also don't want to send her out with a scale body and a big head. Unless i convince her some how that she is Bobble Head Boba Fett. She's pretty quick I don't think that will work.
thank for any help you can offer

Zerovisibilite

Scratchbuild shows incerdible heart, not only are you relying on your own artistic ability but gaining many peoples respect for such a job well done.
Incredible work and thanks for the renewed inspiration.
pghfett

Thats way awesome man! Love what your doing there. Im actually planning on doing a scratch built trooper helm in the coming months here so its nice to see stuff like this CAN be accomplished w/ a little drive. Well done

Guys - thanks for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it. It was a nice project to make, and I'm eventually going to finish my Little Jango helmet too. I've got a little more tweeking and sanding to do on it. I have the mold material at home now just waiting on me to finish it.

:) I still cannot thank Lee enough for the awesome paint job he did on it. It looks so cool.

I do have some bad news though. When I was cleaning this bucket up I left it in my shop and the heat warped it pretty badly. Well, not to be stopped, I put a metal hoop in the back to make it round again and glued a wire in the front to hold it into place and keep from warping again.

Well, after I got it back from Lee, Will tried it on. Apperantly I must've widened it, which in turn shortened the distance from the front to back. Needless to say, Will can barely wear it :(. He can get it on his head, but he has to keep the chin pushed up so it doesn't smash his nose flat.

As a consolation, my wife bought him one of those Ep III clone trooper costumes to wear this Halloween. There's no way I would have the time to finish his Fett up now that I have to add making a new bucket to list. But one day soon...and hopefully before he gets too big for it:lol: .

ZeroVisibilite - sent you a PM.

GlennP - I did use sintra for the trim around the visor. The ear caps are made from it as well. Why did I use styrene...Well, for one I didn't have to heat it to shape it around the helmet I was using as a base. Cutting and sanding it was easy too. You can see in this pic the sintra parts on the left.

12.jpg

I would also like to add my congratulations on a great job.

I have one questions though. I was reading and trying to understand your process. I think you started with a helmet and carved a styrene base. then covered it in card stock. You used sintra for the raised areas and the edges. I think I follow you to that point.

Did you cut out the cheeks from the styrene and then recover with card stock? And in your picture you seemed to use a mesh or fiberglass on the cheek area to finish the cheek and the curve up to the syntra. Can you provide more details on how you did that area?

thanks

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back