Roki's Armor Thread

1st time I have seen this! This is fantastic. Unique designs! Fantastic weathering!

Looks like a mando who has had a history of many battles and well experienced.

Keep up the good work!

Thx man :) The post has been hiding on like page 4 for quite a while, but now that i've been working on my kit alot lately i've been able to get more posts up.

Got my leg armor today, and i've got it partially painted already. Should have the paint finished, and possibly even weathered too

99% !!!!

Here it is guys.. the culmination of the last year and a half of work. The plates are ready for attachment, havent done it yet obviously. I've got a few quirks to hammer out... but other than that. This is what it will look like :)

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

Edit: The middle section is a bit streched out. the space between ab plate and cod wont be that far :)

For the curious ones, close ups and explanations of how i did certain things can be provided upon request. As always.. questions, comments, concerns, and bold faced critiques are welcome !

I've got a few quirks to hammer out...

literally or...

cuz hammering on your paint job kinda messes stuff up...;)

It looks awesome mate! I love the tubes from the helmet to the jets...great idea!!! (y)

How soon is it going to be wearable and when can we see armoured-up pics?

:cheers
A'den

Roki, I really like how you did my helmet to JP tube idea a little better by using the origional hook-ups for the tubes. When I did them I modified up some plastic pop bottle lids and caps so I could screw them in, but they were such a pain.

A little advice also on the hoses, make sure they are laying down on your shoulders when you have the helmet on or it's going to get very annoying when they bounce. Mine did that, and loved to make my helmet move when I walked around.

Also, you may want to put some wire mesh in the open slots on the back of the helmet to keep skin or head from showing. If I had known, I would have put some in with your leg armor so you could use it. I'm really glad that leg armor came out good! When I don't have exact measurements I get a little worried. I also think this set looks 100 times better than it would have looked with those origional chest plates you sent.

Oh yeah, one last thing: Make sure those shin pieces don't hit against the knee pieces when you walk. Same with the thighs, because that metal will chip those fiberglass knees something aweful.

Roki, I really like how you did my helmet to JP tube idea a little better by using the origional hook-ups for the tubes. When I did them I modified up some plastic pop bottle lids and caps so I could screw them in, but they were such a pain.

A little advice also on the hoses, make sure they are laying down on your shoulders when you have the helmet on or it's going to get very annoying when they bounce. Mine did that, and loved to make my helmet move when I walked around.

Also, you may want to put some wire mesh in the open slots on the back of the helmet to keep skin or head from showing. If I had known, I would have put some in with your leg armor so you could use it. I'm really glad that leg armor came out good! When I don't have exact measurements I get a little worried. I also think this set looks 100 times better than it would have looked with those origional chest plates you sent.

Yeah, i thought about doing the same exact thing you did..but i felt that using the original hookups would look better, and even work a little better. All i did was cut the end off some plastic Fuze bottles, and used the lid and screw-in to secure it to the helmet.

The hoses.. yeah, thanks for the warning. I think i'll remedy the swinging hoses problem with a bit of velcro, or else some sort of tie down.

And the open fan slot in the back, i was going to find some black screen door mesh (or something similar) and cover the area up. The 2 small holes by the hoses i'm eventually going to put some LED's in there..soon as i can find some 1/4" panel mount green LED's..

Oh yeah, one last thing: Make sure those shin pieces don't hit against the knee pieces when you walk. Same with the thighs, because that metal will chip those fiberglass knees something aweful.

Wont have a problem with the fiberglass knees chipping...since mine are rubber :rolleyes

Thank you everybody for your comments ! Keep them comming !!:cheers

It's been quite a while since i've posted anything here, but i figure i may as well give ya'll a little update.

Armor is still at 99%, tho its much closer to 100% than it was at my last update. Vest/Jumpsuit is at the seamstress getting velcro sewn on. Should have that back by the end of the week, and soon after that will be the 'finished' product (as finished as any of us actually gets on these kinds of projects) I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of little tweaks and such to do before C5, but alas.. one never knows for sure untill the kit is worn i suppose.

And since i moved all my pics to photobucket, all the old shots in this thread don't work (obviously) so i'll just post some of the 'finished product' shots here and we'll kinda start anew.

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00480.gif

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

The soft parts are a bit tight right now, honestly. I gained a few pounds over winter :( But overall it's all good. Just need to figure out my cable management and get things attached and it'll be golden

Fruits of my day...

Cabling issue, mostly resolved. Got them terminated in a nice little canister-thingy.
JP and Harness now attach to eachother
Gun now has shoulder strap.

The canister-thingy isnt finished. Heck, its barely together.. period. Not painted nor glued, but its a mockup, and here it is :)
Right side
gaunt1.jpg

Left side
gaunt2.jpg

Whole Darn Ting
gaunt3.jpg

Since I had no afternoon class today.. i figured i may as well pound somethin out :) This be the results so far, any further progress today will just be a finishing of what's already been done so far and wont have pics taken 'till much later :p

First up, is the nearly finalized solution to my wiring problem. What you're seeing is a piece of 3.5"x 7" PVC, painted and capped off. There are a pair triple RCA input jacks (one on each end) to accept the wiring (see previous pictures). The wire pack is attached to my kidney plate via 2 screws (for removability and such), and the kidney plate will be attached to my girth belt by 2 hooks that i've got glued to the back of the plate. There are also 3 cables/hoses going from the wire pack (not sure if i should paint those or not.. need input here people !!!). Which takes us to the next pic...
buttPlate.jpg

The cables from the wire pack will be going into these 3 points in the JP, the 2 outside points will be accepting the wires inside the cables individually, while the center point will take the whole thing. All 3 will be permanently attached on the JP side, and be removable from the wire pack.
jpBottom.jpg

The purpose of the removable hosing is for if i wish to troop without the JP, the overall look of the armor wont be totally screwed up by a trio of flopping cables.

And since i feel like teasing people.. I WILL !

preview.jpg

thats so fresh off the cell phone, my hand is burninated.

The collar pieces seem to fit alright, nothing a little more bending wont fix (i can shrug my shoulders and not have something hit my chin, yay !) the left/right chest plates sit fine, just need to re-velcro one spot. Left bell sits perfectly, right bell needs re-velcroing. and everything below the waistline needs alot of bit of bending or at least strapping (i forget what the regs say about visible fastening straps...)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back