Questions about Bondo stuffs

Russivo

New Hunter
Heyyy guys, I was wondering, what kind of Bondo do you use for your scratch build helmets? Some of you use Resin too, what kind of that do you use? And where do you even get this stuff? XD Most of what I've seen in already existing threads is old enough that either the container looks different these days or the stuff doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Can you get this stuff in stores? *I know i'm scared of getting things online i'm sorry*

I probably had more questions but my brain lost the file. Oops.

Any help is muchly appreciated ^-^

Russivo I'm no pro (yet), but I'm pretty sure it depends on what method you use to scratch build. For my lid it was not very bondo intensive, and I didn't use any resin. But since I pep helmets every once in awhile I know what one will need. There are only the two things you need. Bondo and fiberglass. I just use the regular bondo, nothing fancy. Some people swear by using the bondo glass, but I guess its all based on personal preference. For my fiberglass, I use Bondo brand fiberglass, with bondo brand fiberglass cloth. Branding probably won't change much of anything, just depends on what the places carry. I got all of that at my local Lowes for a total of about $40, which is pretty cheap even for a unemployed 16 year old (AKA me). I bought the fiberglass I year or two ago and I just barely ran out Wednesday. Hope this clears things up (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Russivo I'm no pro (yet), but I'm pretty sure it depends on what method you use to scratch build. For my lid it was not very bondo intensive, and I didn't use any resin. But since I pep helmets every once in awhile I know what one will need. There are only the two things you need. Bondo and fiberglass. I just use the regular bondo, nothing fancy. Some people swear by using the bondo glass, but I guess its all based on personal preference. For my fiberglass, I use Bondo brand fiberglass, with bondo brand fiberglass cloth. Branding probably won't change much of anything, just depends on what the places carry. I got all of that at my local Lowes for a total of about $40, which is pretty cheap even for a unemployed 16 year old (AKA me). I bought the fiberglass I year or two ago and I just barely ran out Wednesday. Hope this clears things up (y)
Ah, okay. So the specific kind doesn't make much difference? Guess i'll just have to experiment with stuff. Haha, well, i'm an unemployed 15 year old ...

Thank you!!

I use bondo's brand of resin and fiberglass inside the helmet as soon as I get it built for stability. (Not too much where you need to cut out though)

I use bondo's body filler on the dome and cheeks sparingly to smooth out the irregularities from the cardboard construction. Do it in small bits to maintain control...that stuff gets messy and dries up on you. Be prepared to do a lot of sanding.

Lastly, I paint a coat of resin on the outside. This will take a lot of sanding. If you have issues with resin not hardening you can heat the surface with a hairdryer...then cool down...then repeat the process several times until it hardens.

I usually have to go back and resculpt with bondo and sanding a few times.

I'm not quite sure. I'm not expecting the first try or two to be any good, so I don't think I have to decide just now (procrastination anyone?). Definitely prefer ESB to ROTJ though. What about you?
I've finished(ish) my custom mandalorian helmet, but I'm not all that pleased wit it. I'm going to redo it with the Rafelfett templates and mold and cast it so I dont have to make anymore:D. I will probably do a ROTJ paintup because ROTJ has been my favorite Star Wars movie as long as I can remember.

I've finished(ish) my custom mandalorian helmet, but I'm not all that pleased wit it. I'm going to redo it with the Rafelfett templates and mold and cast it so I dont have to make anymore:D. I will probably do a ROTJ paintup because ROTJ has been my favorite Star Wars movie as long as I can remember.
That's a good idea. I'd like to learn how to do that sometime ^_^
ROTJ is a good one. I'm not sure which movie I like better, I just like the ESB costume more. *sheepish face* It's time I watched the movies again XP

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back