Protective clear coat for enamel paints?

Yeah Demmoc is spot on, a lot of cheap primers really don't do much anything for actual surface adhesion, they're just a really matted color of regular paint. Rustoleum 2x primer for example has identical solvent mixtures and drying windows as the regular 2x colors.

I've been making an attempt to try a lot of different primers over the past year, and I think I've finally settled on two I really like. Rustoleum Universal Bonding Primer, and Duplicolor Sandable Primer. The Rustoleum is a high-acetone solvent mix that adheres really well to plastics and epoxies, and the Duplicolor is a laquer base primer that adheres incredibly well and goes on super super smooth (seriously feels like it was wet-sanded). Both dry super quick (handle within 2 min and top-coatable anytime) and have stood up to gorilla tape pull tests for me. Only problem is that they're quite a bit expensive.

View attachment 161674
7142315_dpl_dap1698_pri_larg.jpg

I'm still exploring and testing clear coats, but I have recently finally tried the Testors Dullcoat that's really popular around here and I did really like it. I agree with Fett4Real though that too much clear can be a problem, if you're experiencing a lot of weak paint issues, it might be better to explore the cause of those rather than over-clear. If you do really want to put a shell of protection on your helm though, maybe look into automotive clears, getting a non-gloss one might be a bit hard though.

I am in the process of tracking down some of that Rustoleum for my next paint job. Thanks!

I had my first troop with all airbrushed painted items. I get that there is no way to keep our armor from getting dinged and scuffed but I was hoping one troop wasn't going to leave so many marks.

The biggest thing is that the paint on my collar got rubbed off by the neck seal. Also have a lot of scuffs from my helmet on my chest plates when I look down. Several dark scratches on knees and a shoulder bell. (And the back plate is already scratched like crazy from the JP and JP harness, but that's to be expected).
Is this normal? I used the universal bonding primer and even put on a few layers of Testors clear coat.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back