Printing lines

ghostface944

New Hunter
Hi guys. So I’ve just started spraying my helmet and realised you can still see the 3D print lines.

My prosses was sanding the helmet first then clean. The uv resin then sand. Then uv and sand again. Then filler primer sand. Filler primer again and paint. And somehow still lines.

If anyone has a solution I’d be much appreciated.

Thank You

Honestly, it's probably just more of the same process you are doing. I think I might've done the UV resin then sandable primer then sanding a few times but not 100% sure. I think the process you are using will get it done, but will take more iterations.

Yeah I always hit it with fillable primer first. I’ve never gone straight to sanding the raw print.

There's specialty products you can get like smooth-on's XTC-3D which is pretty much just a self-leveling resin coatings. But yeah I've always just been cheap and simple about it and sand and prime the hell out of it.

I'll generally start it off with a coarse 80-100 grit just to take down the worse ridges and give a good mechanical bond for everything to follow, and then yeah then hit it with the thickest sandable/filler primer I can. Repeat as needed with gradually finer grits.

I actually highly recommend the Harbor Freight sandable primer if you have one around, it's super thick and you can lay it on very heavy and it won't dry gummy. Surprisingly quality paint considering the source.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back