Painting Helemts

kriffingMandos

New Hunter
I had a couple of free days and decided to play a little bit with paints. This is the first time I've spray painted anything so it's a bit rough but not bad. I'm mostly wondering if anyone had any tips on how to paint different objects. I hand make my buckets with a combination of Fiberglass and bondo and a lot of sanding.

I forgot to take before pics of C3 but I was going more for a Matte, weathered look for it. I tried to make a little bit of a mark on the dome that I'll fill in later with silver coating and call a blaster burn (if anyone has any links on how to make realistic blaster burns, I'd really appreciate it). C3 has more of a streamline look to it, a lot of edges and straight lines.

20191226_022058.jpg
20191226_022055.jpg
20191226_022052.jpg

For the second helmet C2, I did manage to take some before photos before I started taping and painting. I was going more for a glossy look for this one.

Before Pics:
20191227_000306.jpg
20191227_000314.jpg
20191227_000322.jpg
20191227_000328.jpg

After Pics:
20191228_214354.jpg
20191228_214335.jpg
20191228_214346.jpg

C2 differs from C3; it was painted with more curves and more variety in colors. I wanted to see if Gloss or Matte would look better in designs and to be honest, I can't decided between the two. If anyone has any hot tips on how to paint buckets, I'd really appreciate any advice. Taping these two was an endeavor.

20191230_054547.jpg
20191229_013048.jpg

On a sidenote: I'm intending on using these helmets to test certain tech I want to put in my future buckets but I was also wondering if there were any good sites that I could sell them on when I'm done.

Attachments

• 20191227_000322.jpg
    20191227_000322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 453
What do you mean painting different objects....I use to live with rattle can paint jobs. Now I use combinations of rattle cans and an airbrush. Allows for different mediums and allows for me to make custom colors/more accurate colors. I can also use acrylic, enamel, and lacquer in them....If you haven't invested in one that would be my first recommendation...

What do you mean painting different objects....I use to live with rattle can paint jobs. Now I use combinations of rattle cans and an airbrush. Allows for different mediums and allows for me to make custom colors/more accurate colors. I can also use acrylic, enamel, and lacquer in them....If you haven't invested in one that would be my first recommendation...
Different objects as in maybe some Deathwatch / Clan signets - I know my brother really wants deathwatch painted onto his bucket. But are there any brands of airbrushes you would recommend I start out with?

I have a Talon dual action by Paasche (amazon) and I will be honest that thing is amazing. Do you need that high tech etc? No. My cheap one from harbor freights works just as well, but its uses are minimal. Honestly, you wouldn't go wrong starting with the low end and moving into a dual action. I use them both one for large paint areas and the other for more specific/highlights etc.

---and again don't think I only use these. I do not like to reinvent the wheel, so if a rattle can paint is most accurate then I will use that and weather with the airbrush etc.

---my next paint system will be a larger compressor so I can use HVLP paint guns that way I can cover more surface area and get really nice clear coats.

All of these items vary in cost and honestly if you look at the variety of uses you would be doing the more expensive option isn't necessary and as an added bonus the cheaper models you can beat to hell.

If you have been messing with rattle cans for a bit do yourself a favor and get an airbrush and you will quickly see the diversity of its uses.

I have a Talon dual action by Paasche (amazon) and I will be honest that thing is amazing. Do you need that high tech etc? No. My cheap one from harbor freights works just as well, but its uses are minimal. Honestly, you wouldn't go wrong starting with the low end and moving into a dual action. I use them both one for large paint areas and the other for more specific/highlights etc.

---and again don't think I only use these. I do not like to reinvent the wheel, so if a rattle can paint is most accurate then I will use that and weather with the airbrush etc.

---my next paint system will be a larger compressor so I can use HVLP paint guns that way I can cover more surface area and get really nice clear coats.

All of these items vary in cost and honestly if you look at the variety of uses you would be doing the more expensive option isn't necessary and as an added bonus the cheaper models you can beat to hell.

If you have been messing with rattle cans for a bit do yourself a favor and get an airbrush and you will quickly see the diversity of its uses.
I'll definitely look into investing in one! Thank you!

An airbrush is a great investment, but just a tool. It allows a lot if you put in the time to use. Like ecoli I use a spray can and airbrush. Airbrush for custom colours, fine lines, scoring etc....it's flexible...but just a tool. If you don't learn how to use it properly you won't unlock its potential.
If you buy one....go for double action....allows for more control
I've an iwata eclipse....easy to strip and clean

An airbrush is a great investment, but just a tool. It allows a lot if you put in the time to use. Like ecoli I use a spray can and airbrush. Airbrush for custom colours, fine lines, scoring etc....it's flexible...but just a tool. If you don't learn how to use it properly you won't unlock its potential.
If you buy one....go for double action....allows for more control
I've an iwata eclipse....easy to strip and clean
What would recommend if I wanted to learn how to learn to use it better? I was just going to just jump in and start painting and hope for the best but it would be awesome to know more about how to use it if you have any recommendations.

*get a double action airbrush*
Play around on something old....first off I'd say is paint thickness...I go with the consistency similar to milk...too thick and it won't spray, or you may get blobs randomly flying out. Another is air pressure....I think mines around 12 -30 psi... can't remember to be honest.
When you get that sorted and ready to paint. I'd say paint paper or cardboard....anything...but first concentrate on trigger control...press down get air flowing no paint...slowing pull back gets paint flying. Pull all way back is good for covering large areas...but you can lay down a thick coat and invite runs. Thinner multiple coats work better I find. You can pull all way back but move hand faster

that's nothing much...main thing is trigger control. Trigger control allows thick wide coverage or thin fine lines.
The distance I'd hold brush is similar to a spray can.
Multiple thin coats over one thick one
I reckon they'll be airbrush vids on YouTube that can show some exercises to do
It's not super hard....but I'm not painting mural though

Sorry for a poorly written reply....my brains tired and not organised today

masking fluid can be a life saver. much easier to paint it on than it is to tape up little spots. its also a GREAT tool for weathering.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back