NEW MR FETT HELMET PICS

Personally, I think the MR helmet is well worth the cost for most collectors. However, if you are striving for greater accuracy, the price point is hard to swallow for a helmet that would need to be taken apart, cleaned up, modified, completely repainted and reassembled. When you can get a casting of the Mystery helmet for around $100, it is hard to justify over 4 times that for an MR. I keep hearing people say MR missed the mark, but I maintain that for a mass produce pieces, they did an amazing job. The problem is, most of us aren't mass-produced kinda people. If we were, I am not sure there would be a need for this board to exist. I think perhaps some people's expectations might have been a bit too high for a piece that we all knew, from day one, could never meet our expectations or be exactly what we want. We are far too picky and meticulous to be satisfied with that. However, for what it is, I think the MR helmet is a success and a marvel.

Very, VERY well said Art :) Looking at it from that perspective, I couldn't agree more.

cojake - you're most welcome :cheers

FP

Master Replicas hasn't missed the mark too many times in their short Star Wars licensing years.
I've been so happy with my replicas from them, and the quality of display materials they provide with them!

But it seems sad that they are going out with such a fizzle.... especially in the eyes of the people that this helmet was the most important for!
The accuracy seems off (even as a beginner to the costuming that pinch looked weird from the first concept pics... I had hoped it was an error they intended to fix)... so does the weathering (having not seen one in person, I can only go by the pictures everyone has been so generous in posting). I have other items from them that have weathering and it doesn't look that manufactured at all.

But it's a very nice effort on their part... the working LEDs are a nice touch. I, for one, am very disappointed they are not going to make Star Wars stuff anymore. Would have been very nice to see a Boba ESB Blaster as well as a Chewie Bowcaster.

Yes...I paid $400 for it.

Yes...over all I am pleased with it.

Yes...I will continue to purchase items from MR...but

What really tee's me off is that MR had in the palm of their hands the ability to produce THE helmet we have all been waiting for! With today's technology and the access to a Lucas Film prop and when all was said and done...they produce this helmet? IMO it was a waist of time and effort, a disappointment to be sure!!! And shame on them for dangling the hype in our face and make the marketing claims as they did. For cry'n out loud, they scanned an actual helmet from the archives...and hold on, they enlisted one of our own to do the master paint design. What was that all about? And who were they trying to sell this project to? The casual fan/collector? NO WAY. They were selling it to US...the true DIE HARD FETT FANS!! A movie accurate, screen used ESB helmet. The bottom line is that this helmet is really just a jazzed up version of the DP...allbeit 4 bones, never the less its a lot of money for most of us here. For me, you are either all the way in or all the way out. Finish what you set out to do, none of this in between stuff. I really expected MR to do it right this time and what are we doing now? Trying to figure out how to make it right, fix all those little things that are bugging us and praying that we don't **** up a $400 investment. All that said, a really nice helmet MR, its sure to be a center piece of most Star Wars collections...I just don't like to be mislead so lets get it right next time.

Yes...I paid $400 for it.

Yes...over all I am pleased with it.

Yes...I will continue to purchase items from MR...but

What really tee's me off is that MR had in the palm of their hands the ability to produce THE helmet we have all been waiting for! With today's technology and the access to a Lucas Film prop and when all was said and done...they produce this helmet? IMO it was a waist of time and effort, a disappointment to be sure!!! And shame on them for dangling the hype in our face and make the marketing claims as they did. For cry'n out loud, they scanned an actual helmet from the archives...and hold on, they enlisted one of our own to do the master paint design. What was that all about? And who were they trying to sell this project to? The casual fan/collector? NO WAY. They were selling it to US...the true DIE HARD FETT FANS!! A movie accurate, screen used ESB helmet. The bottom line is that this helmet is really just a jazzed up version of the DP...allbeit 4 bones, never the less its a lot of money for most of us here. For me, you are either all the way in or all the way out. Finish what you set out to do, none of this in between stuff. I really expected MR to do it right this time and what are we doing now? Trying to figure out how to make it right, fix all those little things that are bugging us and praying that we don't **** up a $400 investment. All that said, a really nice helmet MR, its sure to be a center piece of most Star Wars collections...I just don't like to be mislead so lets get it right next time.
I'm afraid there won't be a next time for MR... the no longer have the Star Wars license.
They're just wrapping up this and the Luke ROTJ v.2 lightsaber, then they're going to make props for Trekkies (or Trekkers.. I'm not sure) and Disneyphiles.

I think they just got so used to making those ST futuristically sterile Phasers and Polystone statues, that they couldn't help but make an "all too perfect" Boba helmet.

It's a nice piece... you hit the nail on the head... they had the stuff at their disposal to make it near perfect... whoever greenlit the final sculpt obviously did not study their reference material too well! If this what ANY Lucasfilm archived helmet looked like, it's certainly not what MOST of them looked like.

Am I right?

Perhaps efx will have a go at it...maybe not Boba but Jango? Hey, maybe ROTJ? We can only hope ;)

Trekkies...Trekkers? Its my understanding that a "Trekker" is a Star Trek fan such you or I, we like the movies, we like the actors and so on, maybe even a convention now and then. A "Trekkie" is a Star Trek geek (in a nice way) through and through...I wish that I had the time and the doe to be a Trekkie (Star Wars is enough to keep my broke):lol: I know a number of Trekkies and they are a lot of fun to be around, some more serious than others but hey...they all get along ;)

Perhaps efx will have a go at it...maybe not Boba but Jango? Hey, maybe ROTJ? We can only hope ;)

Trekkies...Trekkers? Its my understanding that a "Trekker" is a Star Trek fan such you or I, we like the movies, we like the actors and so on, maybe even a convention now and then. A "Trekkie" is a Star Trek geek (in a nice way) through and through...I wish that I had the time and the doe to be a Trekkie (Star Wars is enough to keep my broke):lol: I know a number of Trekkies and they are a lot of fun to be around, some more serious than others but hey...they all get along ;)
lol.. I mean no disrespect... I just didn't know which was the appropriate terminology.
I love the Star Trek movies (not so much the shows). I'm just sore that MR abandoned Star Wars. Their Star Trek stuff is actually pretty nice! Just a different beast than Star Wars props that have that "lived in" feel to them.

(And deep inside, I'm only going to keep watching the MR site in case they do an Alien's Pulse Rifle! lol)

Let's not blame other franchises, whether you are a fan or not, MR has messed up on more than just SW products. Luckily, I am the owner of one of the "good" Rocketeer helmets that were produced. Many were badly made in India and had to be recalled or the production was halted for some time to "correct" the process. As well, how about the full size Spider-man masks? Kinda "disappeared" off their site. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the MR products that I have, but I think they may have just given up since they were losing their license.

Let's not blame other franchises, whether you are a fan or not, MR has messed up on more than just SW products. Luckily, I am the owner of one of the "good" Rocketeer helmets that were produced. Many were badly made in India and had to be recalled or the production was halted for some time to "correct" the process. As well, how about the full size Spider-man masks? Kinda "disappeared" off their site. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the MR products that I have, but I think they may have just given up since they were losing their license.
No disrespect was inteded for any other licenses... I was just trying to rationalize the reason for such a sterile, incorrect product.
I haven't seen any other SW stuff they did that was messed up (except maybe the Vader helmet shipping scratches... but that's a packaging issue.. not an accuracy or production issue)

Not that I'm questioning you that there were any... if you could enlighten me on which items you're referring to, I'll be sure to avoid them!

I have to agree - they started getting a little lazy in the end, becasue they knew it was over. Maybe sort of gave up ?

Don't be so quick to look to EFX as a new SW Prop Savior guys :eek: Although it's exciting news, because, well, it's someone NEW. A fresh start if you will ... BUT .. it's still MR. Some of them anyway. Even Amy the CS rep is going to EFX :lol: Hopefully that is a good sign. I have high hopes too :p

I do have some interesting news about the MR production helmet of mine that I pictured above !

The *DENT* - is NOT DEAD on these things !!! It's simply covered with half the helmet's weight in PAINT :lol:

I stripped mine tonight. Yes, you read that correctly. it's beige now :lol: I've got many more things I SHOULD be doing - but I had a free few minutes in between things "cooking" :lol:

Let me just say this - there is hope for this helmet. My interest has been rekindled. As it turns out, there are at LEAST 5 layers of paint on this thing. And every single coat was mounded on. I can't not emphasize enough, just how different this helmet looks without 5 lbs of paint on it :lol: I know, for you wise guys that will try to catch me on it - yes it looks different, becasue there's no paint ! :p What I mean is, the paint was so heavily laid on this thing, that it was literally covering up details - BAD !

The dent, is just as crisp as the MR prototype illustrated in Brak's comparison thread. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I'm now thinking I might go ahead and fix a couple of more anomalies, and take it the distance. Nothing major. I wouldn't DARE interrupt what lineage there is left in this thing. Just simple things, like a little putty on the seam lines underneath the earcaps, ect. But again, I think I'll take it the distance, and see what she looks like ;)

Interested? When I get some free minutes, I'll post up some quality pics.

FP

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir, ;) really interested...

Would be great to see a step by step of all the mods you are making... Is that possible ?? (something like a "small" tutorial or something ??) I think you will help a LOT of guys... at least.. . you will help me so badly !!! (cause I'm planning to strip it and replaint it, and who knows, maybe mod it completely as you did...?? if I see if "clear")

Actully eFX is not a new crew they are core folks I worked with at MR. The owners are both experienced and knowledgeable on the SW license and I would expect everyone to see very nice work out of this company. Frequently your hands get tied by the bonds of the leaders above and those bonds have been cut.

Lee

Actully eFX is not a new crew they are core folks I worked with at MR. The owners are both experienced and knowledgeable on the SW license and I would expect everyone to see very nice work out of this company. Frequently your hands get tied by the bonds of the leaders above and those bonds have been cut.

Lee
That's very good news!
I was not very learned about this eFX swap... haven't been reading the news lately.
I just thought we'd be waiting a few years before someone else picked up the license (a la Icons to MR)

Hopefully I'll get a second chance to pick up an ROTJ Luke v.1 Lightsaber... it's so expensive to buy the MR one now!

eFX??? do they have a Website?

Just a teaser, nothing shown. Its sopposed to be created directly by LFL, therefore, IMHO, they should be able to make the most accurate replica's, because they should have direct access to the archives. However, I am very happy that most of the MR crerw is working on this company.

I forgot the actualy website link, but it has the teaser pic of the concept vader and the date of that event in chicago i believe, and says I think, "a new force to be rekoned with"

I do have some interesting news about the MR production helmet of mine that I pictured above !

The *DENT* - is NOT DEAD on these things !!! It's simply covered with half the helmet's weight in PAINT :lol:

I stripped mine tonight. Yes, you read that correctly. it's beige now :lol: I've got many more things I SHOULD be doing - but I had a free few minutes in between things "cooking" :lol:

Let me just say this - there is hope for this helmet. My interest has been rekindled. As it turns out, there are at LEAST 5 layers of paint on this thing. And every single coat was mounded on. I can't not emphasize enough, just how different this helmet looks without 5 lbs of paint on it :lol: I know, for you wise guys that will try to catch me on it - yes it looks different, becasue there's no paint ! :p What I mean is, the paint was so heavily laid on this thing, that it was literally covering up details - BAD !

The dent, is just as crisp as the MR prototype illustrated in Brak's comparison thread. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I'm now thinking I might go ahead and fix a couple of more anomalies, and take it the distance. Nothing major. I wouldn't DARE interrupt what lineage there is left in this thing. Just simple things, like a little putty on the seam lines underneath the earcaps, ect. But again, I think I'll take it the distance, and see what she looks like ;)

Interested? When I get some free minutes, I'll post up some quality pics.

FP

WHOA!! how did I miss this???:eek:

Please FP, post pics....!!

so what you're telling me is I have to buy one after all?? :lol:

Hmm? Maybe not :lol:

Small update - I only had time for a quick cell pic, but it's pretty decent.

With, and without primer .... I'm gettin a little gitty :lol: They OBVIOUSLY didn't "airbrush" their 5 or more layers of paint :lol:

mr_dent.jpg

More to come. I'll do a bit of a write up on it with some pics. Probably start a new thread for you MR owner folks :)

FP

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back