New MR Fett Helmet Master

WOW....I want the one on the left....:p

MR 1.jpg

Oh I don't know if I agree with that Alex ;). I always thought that the signature would be $650 and the regular version would be $400 but I probably heard wrong. It would certainly be a good starting helmet, I would just feel bad paying that much and then repainting it, though I'm certain I would for accuracies sake.

I'm hoping with a little work the factory paint job will look great.
When the MR comes out I look forward to upgrade tips from the pros here.
I don't have the time to paint one from scratch myself and I want a display piece to go next to my Bossk and IG-88 heads.

Remember that this is quite cheap considering the price on the old DP deluxe helmet. The MR helmet is by far better.

I agree. I also agree with Evan. This is a pretty damn decent helmet for a factory piece. And the price isn't all that bad considering what unfinished recasts cost already. The only way this could be better is if it was a direct cast from the ESB helmet. :)
Anyhow, you know this thing will be recast and reworked immediately by somebody or plenty of "somebody's". As far as the mandilbles narrowing at the bottom, it appears to be a direct result of a little less than careful attachment of the visor. Easily remedied.
All in all, I think this is a pretty nice piece with a pretty nice paint job. Look at the crappy paint job on the DP deluxe helmet they were charging a grand for. And worse, the nonexistant paint job on the DP 95,96 and 97 they were charging almost a hundred for.

I think it looks pretty decent. I think with a good acrylic wash to dirty it up a bit and give it less of a uniform look to the colors it would look a lot better, and that is something that can be done with out doing any real damage to the peice.

Hey just another quick question regarding color.
In December, Lee updated his color list to show "POG Green" for the left ear.
People were assuming this was "Panzer Olive Green," (I saw it discussed, but of course can't find it now)
which would make it the same as the dome/lower cheeks.
In all the pics I've seen so far of the MR paint master and proto helmets, the left ear looks to be a different shade than the dome.
Is "POG Green" some kind of different Panzer Olive Green? :confused

I honestly cant consider this bucket to be too much better than a mystery helmet. The mystery helmets(its been more or less decided) were cast from the pp2 helmet and modified by MS and sgtfang. The MR bucket came from a pp3 bucket that was laser scanned. I do not know how many of you have actually seen a raw laser scan before but its not perfect right off the bat. We use laser scans of celebs at my work for the games we work on. There is a whole lot of cleaning up that has to be done. That and a lot of the time details become soft (not always). So really its possible that the raw laser scan looked a lot like sgtfangs old "lava helmet"

Please keep in mind this is strictly my opinion as I have never even seen this bucket up close in person. I might change my mind then.

To me there is more value in getting a sgtfang for ~100 dollars and putting some work into to make it more accurate accurate and painting it yourself(or getting one of the awesome tdh artists to paint it) rather then over paying for a MR helmet that your going to have to sand an paint anyway.

I would say it happened before filming but after painting... maybe when they were putting in the visor. There is really no way to tell. As zr pointed out, the other cracks have not been repaired so I would assume this one was done very early.

I'm always learning more it seems....while this is new to me, I have to ask that if this repair was made prior to filming how is it NOT accurate to the ESB movie :confused If it the representative helmet was seen as filmed, with "the wave" , it would be accurate...no:confused

BTW I love the MR helmet...for that price and the "lineage" and the MR license, I think it looks great....remember the DP Deluxe...retail was $1200 how many years ago! If one were to give it some washes and a little scotchbrite action it would look stellar.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly cant consider this bucket to be too much better than a mystery helmet. The mystery helmets(its been more or less decided) were cast from the pp2 helmet and modified by MS and sgtfang. The MR bucket came from a pp3 bucket that was laser scanned. I do not know how many of you have actually seen a raw laser scan before but its not perfect right off the bat. We use laser scans of celebs at my work for the games we work on. There is a whole lot of cleaning up that has to be done. That and a lot of the time details become soft (not always). So really its possible that the raw laser scan looked a lot like sgtfangs old "lava helmet"

I'm not sure if my opinion would be "expert" or not, but while we've seen evidence that the mystery brands have PP2 similarities/origins, it's too much to say that they were direct casts of the PP2. Don Post or somebody had to have their hands all over that cast in one way or another. Since the MS1 and SgtFang are identical in every way, that proves that MarrowSun and SgtFang were working from the same kind of buck independently and the ways in which these helmets departed greatly from the PP2 happened long before MS and Sarge got a hold of them. The dome, the cheeks, the key slots, the brows, on, and on, and on. Only MarrowSun has marketed follow-ons of his MS1 with his own changes. While SgtFang has reported that he, "...scratchbuilt new [ears] after carefully measuring the warped originals..." Yet both helmets have the same ears. So if that is the case, then the ears would be in the re-worked ballpark too (through no fault of Sarge) using only the reference of the heavily modified buck. The "lava helmet" wasn't Sarge's, as you can see in this Fang thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=16461 The "lava" was a different cast that found it's name by TylerDurden and Brak's "back in the day" before my time.

But I know what your saying with regards to scanning...just look at the aft eyepiece on the MR EE-3 scope and then compare that to the original prop, hahaha.

I used the same Panzer Olive Green on the ears and helmet. It was told to me they appeared to be the same color so I'm not sure. Who knows if I happen to make it into the archives I'll check it.

Lee

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back