My First Helmet

Wow! Thanks for the lead Drokkul. I've been comparing this one with the Mystery Helmets. Although like you stated, badly recast, I've been comparing and it is pointing in the direction of a Mystery Helmet. What paint scheme do you recommend for this helmet?

Well that's up to you really. Its already done in a very loose ESB style. The MH I believe was molded from an ROTJ helmet but this one doesn't seem to have any of the damage marks (scrapes into the resin) from either ESB or ROTJ (which has a lot more physical damage) but most helmets are like this when cast. It allows the buyer to make what they want out of it.

I am currently attempting my first ESB paintup and there are parts that make me want to tear my hair out! The ROTJ has its own set of challenges, but aesthetically I've always found the ESB more interesting.

I know you stated that you want to get another bucket down the line. Maybe if you are doing a costume or full size display as well at some point think about which version you want to do and then paint this bucket in the opposite style? Then when you get the next one get it for your costume/display and put this one in a display case?

You said you looked thru some paintup threads but go thru the galleries here as well because they have excellent closeups of the original pieces and it will probably help you decide which version you like the most!

Good luck with whichever route you go!

Just to add to what has already been said, I would strip and sand this thing down. Personally, I would fill in the dent, rebuild the ears and make this a custom Mando style helmet with your own paint scheme. It would give you practice at prep work, fabrication, and painting, but it would also give you the freedom to not worry about making this look like a true Boba Fett helmet. Because truthfully, it would take a lot of work to make it look right. I think it would be a tough order for your first time at this if you were wanting it to look legit.

I gotta say I don't completely agree. I would definitely strip/sand it. But if you rebuild the ears and clean up the visor area you might as well just attempt to make it Boba. The dent may have better definition under the glopped paint and after that I would probably cut out and rebuild the keyslot area.

There are plenty of threads on this board showing scratchbuilds and in those you can find pics of making the keyslot area. I think the helmet is salvageable. There are a lot of people on this board, myself included, that have reworked purchases that we regretted and made something serviceable out of it.

If you try and fail at least you tried. That's how we build and improve our skillsets. I say go for it!

I'm a rookie so at first glance, it looks good! You get better every time! Keep up the good fight!
he didn't make it, so there's no need to compliment it, we all know its a godawful lid.
anyway, to hunter, hope the one coming in December is good, do take caution when shipping, my helmet cost me about 20 dollars and 5 hours to fix from the damage...

I'm not sure I'm seeing the misalignment of the arrows that I've seen in the mystery line photos and whilst I've only seen photos the issue is clearly detectable and a very obvious wonkiness. This could still be derived from a mystery helmet but if it is it has been so badly recast as to render that a meaningless relationship; the mystery has a lot going for it. I'd still like to see more pictures of the dent close up.

It is my understanding that the mystery is derived from the PP2 helmet via the Lee Malone buck (and possibly with the Lava helmet as an intermediary)and not from any ROTJ helmet.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the misalignment of the arrows that I've seen in the mystery line photos and whilst I've only seen photos the issue is clearly detectable and a very obvious wonkiness. This could still be derived from a mystery helmet but if it is it has been so badly recast as to render that a meaningless relationship; the mystery has a lot going for it. I'd still like to see more pictures of the dent close up.

It is my understanding that the mystery is derived from the PP2 helmet via the Lee Malone buck (and possibly with the Lava helmet as an intermediary)and not from any ROTJ helmet.
IMG_4785.JPGIMG_4782.JPGIMG_4784.JPGIMG_4783.JPG

As requested, here are some better images of the arrows, dent, rear and front.

I'm a rookie so at first glance, it looks good! You get better every time! Keep up the good fight!

MasterObiWill I didn't build or paint this. I bought it on CL because I needed to evenly balance a 1:1 display. "Looks good at first glance" is what I was hoping for. However, I've learned a lot about this bucket the past few days. This forum is loaded with intel and people willing to share, I should be able to fix it up just enough. When I gift it, the recipient will have something halfway decent, be happy and I won't feel so bad.

Thank you for the extra pics, I'm not really sure what's going on with that dent or the keyslot area. I can't tell where this helmet came from but I'm doubting the mystery angle. Good luck with working on it.

Thank you for the extra pics, I'm not really sure what's going on with that dent or the keyslot area. I can't tell where this helmet came from but I'm doubting the mystery angle. Good luck with working on it.

Thanks for all the input Intwenothor. Most appreciated. I'll post pics of my work once I get around to it. .

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back