My First Helmet

5150Hunter

New Hunter
Hello All---Just picked up my first helmet. After some research, I couldn't pass up the deal and bought it with the intention to display only. For now, it'll look good sitting in the display case. To the casual fan it's cool but we know it needs help, TLC and new paint. Looks like it was made out of some type of fiberglass. I'm still trying to figure out what mold. I plan on picking up another helmet in December. Check it out. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. Thanks all.

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

I hope you got this very cheap.
Im not trying to be cruel here but the paint reminds me of crayon and the visor looks like it was cut out with a hacksaw.
With a lot patience you could properly make something nice out of this.

As for the maker of the helment i got no idea but the thickness of the earpiece seems really off to me.

bfe1.jpg

Maybe this site can help you find a match.

I hope you got this very cheap.
Im not trying to be cruel here but the paint reminds me of crayon and the visor looks like it was cut out with a hacksaw.
With a lot patience you could properly make something nice out of this.

As for the maker of the helment i got no idea but the thickness of the earpiece seems really off to me.

View attachment 96457

Maybe this site can help you find a match.

Thanks for he link. I got it cheaper than the price of the recent Target and the Rubies helmets. I'm not a very patient person and I had to have a helmet right now. I have thick skin and knew what I getting myself into, so please, let me know what's up lol!. You're absolutely right, I think the visor was still on when they created this mold. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how I'm going to attach a visor. I'm gonna have to use some super dark lighting gel. I noticed that earpiece was off too and I figured I could work on that Once I figure out the visor, earpiece I'm gonna work on the paint. I've never painted a thing in my life but this site has a plethora of info. I have no plans on bringing this helmet to any gatherings or cosplay. For now it sits in my display case until I get the one I want.

There are a lot of issues with this helmet. To me this does not appear to be a quality item.

Here's the issue I've seen thus far (I noticed before I purchased): The Visor: Is hacked out of the middle. Looks like the visor was still on when they made this helmet (about 5 years ago); Because the visor was still on, I can't just attach another visor in place unless I start to hack/cut and shave the mold of the original visor out. That's too risky and may crack this helmet which was intended for casual display; I'm going to have to use a dark gel for the visor. The Earpiece: is different from many I've seen. I've seen a DP that kind of looks like it. The paint on the earpiece is way way off. The Paint: This helmet is a 20 footer. Looks ok from 20 feet away or sitting in a display case with other items that draw attention away. Casual Star Wars fans like it, but true Boba Fett fans will look away. After I read "how tos" on this forum I might try a repaint. Any suggestions will help. Please and Thanks.

A repaint would do a lot for it but there are so many issues with the thing as a whole that even a great paint job will only do so much; virtually every aspect seems to have a problem. The thing I noticed first was the dome shape. If I were in your position I'd use this purely as something to practice painting technique on. I hope you didn't pay too much.

A repaint would do a lot for it but there are so many issues with the thing as a whole that even a great paint job will only do so much; virtually every aspect seems to have a problem. The thing I noticed first was the dome shape. If I were in your position I'd use this purely as something to practice painting technique on. I hope you didn't pay too much.

My friend mentioned an issue with the dome too. Is it the side view? Besides what I mentioned as issues, what else did you notice? I didn't pay much (current price of a Rubies). There aren't many helmets up for sale. I will be getting a helmet in December that will make up for this.

A dremel would do the job on the remaning visor.

If it was me i would :
Remove the visor bits .
Sand down the entire helmet.
Build a more thin earpiece (Abs, Wood og Cardboard)
Paint the whole thing.

Basically use the whole thing as a way to learn stuff.

Sendt fra min D5503 med Tapatalk

Every view really. It seems to be flat overall and sink in the middle. It reminds me a bit of the original GMH in that respect.
The ears appears warped and mishapen and the cap section on the right ear doesn't seem to fit properly.
Some apparent warping at the bottom of the mandibles.
Keyslot area seems to have a lot of issues but tough to see without a straight back shot.
Rangefinder stalk not looking great and the topper doesn't look the best.
It's not a total loss and I'd use it as I said; for painting practice.
Tidying up the visor area and installing a visor would bring a lot to the table.
What's going on with the dent? Any better shots of that?

A dremel would do the job on the remaning visor.

If it was me i would :
Remove the visor bits .
Sand down the entire helmet.
Build a more thin earpiece (Abs, Wood og Cardboard)
Paint the whole thing.

Basically use the whole thing as a way to learn stuff.

Sendt fra min D5503 med Tapatalk

Thanks for the good advice. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm no painter so I'm going to rely heavily on this forum. I won't sleep unless I try. Free time is rare for me, so It'll take a while. Thanks again.

Do the Mystery helmets not have some kind of misaligned arrow heads?
Never seen one in person.

I wanna say that the production DP deluxe helmet had the wonky arrows/"turn signals" The MH lineage was supposedly some that were cast by Don Post employees for themselves when the original helmet was in their possession for scanning/casting. I also think that Sgt Fang's was one of these originals that he came into ownership of.

Mind you that I have kind of been away from the hobby since 2010ish and just recently got the itch again so some of this info may have changed/updated or I may have remembered it incorrectly as well. :wacko

I do remember doing some minor work on the arrows when prepping the helmet years ago but I believe it was just general cleanup.

Thanks for the info and recommendations Intwenothor. I'll work on that and see if it helps out. It's going to end up as a gift in a few months after I get my helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every view really. It seems to be flat overall and sink in the middle. It reminds me a bit of the original GMH in that respect.
The ears appears warped and mishapen and the cap section on the right ear doesn't seem to fit properly.
Some apparent warping at the bottom of the mandibles.
Keyslot area seems to have a lot of issues but tough to see without a straight back shot.
Rangefinder stalk not looking great and the topper doesn't look the best.
It's not a total loss and I'd use it as I said; for painting practice.
Tidying up the visor area and installing a visor would bring a lot to the table.
What's going on with the dent? Any better shots of that?

Cool. I'll take better pictures of the dent in natural light and post. I had to look real hard to see the dent detail and the paint didn't help. I'll definitely tidy up the visor area and install a visor

Also while they don't necessarily look very crooked the one on the right side when facing is smaller than the left
View attachment 96458

Wow! Thanks for the lead Drokkul. I've been comparing this one with the Mystery Helmets. Although like you stated, badly recast, I've been comparing and it is pointing in the direction of a Mystery Helmet. What paint scheme do you recommend for this helmet?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back