My attempt at a WOF scratchbuilt...

My final ears are going to be resin cast, but here's my finished stalk installed (temporarily) with my current ears.
newstalk.jpg

David.

That one looks much better, man. When I redo my ears and stalk, I'm going to try and make it stand upright like yours. Much better than the slightly angled in look that I've got right now. I like how you set your inner ear into the helmet, rather than build it outwards. I might try that, but I'm a little skeptical of cutting into my dome. :p

Sorry for no pictures in this post. I do have some coming.

I've been very busy over the past month with my job and working on my armor pieces, but I never forgot about the crown.

I've reworked my ears with moulds and resin casting. I'm working on attaching the right ear cap right now and need to take a trip to Home Depot for bolts.

I should be able to post pictures later today with my progress.

David.

Picture time!

I've been using resin for my ear caps. The only problem I've found is the added weight. But, it's something I'm willing to put up with.

Here's the left ear.
Leftear-1.jpg

Compared to the old one...
2leftear.jpg

Attached to the bucket.
leftearon.jpg

Here's the right ear pieces (sans cap).
Rightear1-1.jpg

Here's how I'm attaching the top ear cap. I'm using 1/4 bolts set into the cap. The center hole is for the bolt I used to hold the stalk on.
rtearposts.jpg

The stalk attached (repainted black).
rtearstalknocap.jpg

Right ear cap on...
rtearstalkcapon.jpg

And just to show the other nuts that will occupy this lid... ;D
insidertear.jpg

That's it for now. I'm still considering redoing the stalk...again... :angry( because it is still LEANING!!! :rolleyes:

David.

Okay...finally an update to the never-ending modifications. :p

First of all, I did finish the last step I was going for. Since I was originally going for closer to the standard Jango mando style, I did try for the stalk, as you can see. But, my stalk broke. I tried another one and it still leaned, so I set is aside for a while.

Since I work in construction, I'm always finding interesting tidbits that I might be able to use.

Starting with a duct volume dampener handle. (Basically, it turns a metal flap inside the ductwork to cut down on the air flow. But anyway... :-X)

I wanted to use it for the right ear as kind of an antenna. But I wanted to be even with one on each side. So I started by pulling off the left ear and trimming it out so the antenna could fit flush.
lm1.jpg

lm2.jpg

lm3.jpg

Then I thought, hey. It's my bucket and I'll do what I want to it. So I ripped off the right ear, smoothed out the ear arch on the dome,
rm1.jpg

filled, sanded, and started painting.
rm2.jpg

rm3.jpg

rm4.jpg

I got the yellow done, but I don't think I like the way the paint came out.
P4190110.jpg

If I can't touch it up better, I may repaint.

Here's the improved left ear (temporarily) in place.
P41901102.jpg

P4190111.jpg

Now on to making the mold and casting the new right ear!

David.

I really love the colors, maybey I will do my helmet in other colors to. Does somebody know a good thread with some examples of custom helmets ?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back